NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By RPW00Mirage
  • 1 Post By hwhunt13

Thread: winter driving tip

winter driving tip

Has any one esle noticed this. I am in PA and we have had many snowstorms this year, I am typically very anal about clearing of my car, but this morning I skipped clearing all the snow from the wheels. About 5 minutes down the road it feels like the car is riding rough and even shaking abit. I pulled over took the handle to my ice scrapper and cleared the snow and ice from the inside of all four wheels. All was good back on the road after that. My guess is that because the inside of our rims are so wide and flat (tec rims) that the snow stays and act's as wheel weights causing all four tires to be out of balance. Not sure if it affects safety or not, but it definitely changes the ride quality.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Accumulations of slush that build up when driving and then settle to the bottom of the rims and freeze when parked can really mess with wheel balance.

Wish I could get people around me to understand this! They always give me weird looks and voice their frustration about my priorites when I'm cleaning out the wheel and surrounding areas before we go whether it be my car or theirs (even if we are in a rush I take the time to do this). They can't seem to understand that I rather be somewhere late than to... You know what I mean.
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

this is not new, that same problem can happen on every rim style. you should always clean as much of the snow/ice off them as you can... just as you would the rest of your vehicle...

unless you're one of those assholes who doesn't bother cleaning the roof, then you can go to hell
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual

Always clear any and all air vents on all vehicles, Otherwise, you'll end up with a lot more cold air coming through your vents including a good chance that your car may blow snow through your AC vents. Your windshield will fog up too. I had to pull over to the side of the road just to clear the front grill of my car.
    I learned this lesson when I still had my first car when I still had my 1998 Monte Carlo.
    murphthesurf likes this.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Ultra Black Pearl - 2012 Style Package - DCT - Red interior.

MTD
    Good tips.
    '13 VT

I'm confused...it's like 70 right now...

Quote Originally Posted by AZG23 View Post
    I'm confused...it's like 70 right now...
    Well, la de frikin' da... If you ever happen to be somewhere where it snows, now you know what to do. "Always Be Prepared"

I can't count the times I've had to swerve on the interstate because some moron from "up North" didn't clear the snow/ice off his car. Those frozen bits can do some damage after flying in the air at 70mph

I have experienced the shaking snow/ Slushy road conditions… So much so I thought lugs a were loose and the wheel was wobbling.
    I had a new experience last weekend… I was driving in very snow conditions for about 2hrs and I was driving out of a small town and my transmission disengaged and if I put it in neutral. I tried tired putting it in neutral and putting back in drive and nothing. It tried using the paddle shifters… nothing. I tried turning off traction control... nothing. After coming to a stop I even tried turning off the car and restarting it and I still had no transmission. Everything working and running fine before… I had the car towed to the dealer and they tried it and said there was nothing wrong there was some dampness in the air box. Has anyone else experienced anything like this…?

Nice tip!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

MTD
    The TCS really can bog the car down from a standstill when some wheel spin can be helpful. I usually turn it off during slower driving or in deep snow and turn it back on once I get moving.
    '13 VT

14. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements