NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech Package - Pros/Cons

Tech Package - Pros/Cons

So I've been debating whether or not the $2,000 tech package is worth it. The navigation and camera are nice-to-haves, and the Veloster-specific wheels are unique, but is that worth the extra $2k? I'm assuming this package may help increase its value down the road since these features are becoming more and more standard...

I was just hoping to hear some thoughts from everyone considering why they will/will not choose the tech package. I'm kind of on the fence and could use some external feedback. I also saw a thread on here about having to pay like $200 for map updates which seems ridiculous.

Finally, if you don't get the tech package, does anyone know if you can still get the highest Blue Link service (with voice/turn-by-turn directions)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

i was under the assumption that bluelink was standard across all trims of the veloster. the description and picture at the bottom of this page makes you wonder why you would need the integrated navigation at all.

Hyundai Veloster : Interior | Hyundai

"POINTS OF INTEREST SEARCH AND TURN-BY-TURN NAVIGATION
    For vehicles that are not equipped with an on-board navigation system, this powerful tool can help you find points of interest ranging from a specific address for a location you know to general searches like “sushi” or “live music”. Once you select a point of interest, both a map and turn-by-turn audible directions are provided by Blue Link."

Just from a resale pov, I'd say get the Tech package. If your financing it's not that much more on your monthly payment, and will make the car easier to sell/better trade in value, down the road. If on the other hand if your the drive-it-'til-it-dies type, if you feel you will not get the value you want from the tech package, then buy it the way you want it, since resale/trade in are not your priorities.

yeah....not sure i need the extra stuff...the camera was ok, but there is plenty of sight out the back. the wheels(im just going to replace them anyway.) the proximity key is a nice feature though
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

oh yeah only1db I was going to ask about that, so the rear window was easy enough to see out of? The backup cam wasn't super useful?

its helpful if your trying to manuever around things that might be on the ground...but normal use....i dont see a need.
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

Ahh okay, thanks. Now I'll just need to buy after market fog lights when I get my base. Was thinking about trying to get an after market backup cam, but I guess if its not really needed.

I will be going with the style package... I think I'm a drive till I die with it kind of guy :P
    Electrolyte Green Veloster DCT w/Style. AKA Fiona

"
    We have, I fear, confused power with greatness" ~Stewart Udall

Brotip # 1312: Age isn't always a measure of wisdom. Sometimes a younger bro knows more than an older one.

No one has confirmed what wheels come with the style package.
    That maybe the deal breaker for me, anyone have pics of those?

I wish I could just get the style package with the base wheels. I really don't like how limited you are with options.
    2012 Marathon Blue Veloster | 2007 Lotus Exige S | 2010 Honda Fit
    Veloster Interface Design | Development Website | Full Veloster Review

Yeah.. it does seem to be limiting. No confirmation yet of style package wheels.. will have to wait and see
    Electrolyte Green Veloster DCT w/Style. AKA Fiona

"
    We have, I fear, confused power with greatness" ~Stewart Udall

Brotip # 1312: Age isn't always a measure of wisdom. Sometimes a younger bro knows more than an older one.

Quote Originally Posted by PacMan View Post
    So I've been debating whether or not the $2,000 tech package is worth it. The navigation and camera are nice-to-haves, and the Veloster-specific wheels are unique, but is that worth the extra $2k? I'm assuming this package may help increase its value down the road since these features are becoming more and more standard...

I was just hoping to hear some thoughts from everyone considering why they will/will not choose the tech package. I'm kind of on the fence and could use some external feedback. I also saw a thread on here about having to pay like $200 for map updates which seems ridiculous.

Finally, if you don't get the tech package, does anyone know if you can still get the highest Blue Link service (with voice/turn-by-turn directions)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    I'm choosing Tech & Style because I want all the bells and whistles; gowing through my 3rd childhood, so its a treat and I can afford it. If it wasn't for that, I would really think hard before putting $2000 into the extra package.

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    i was under the assumption that bluelink was standard across all trims of the veloster. the description and picture at the bottom of this page makes you wonder why you would need the integrated navigation at all.

Hyundai Veloster : Interior | Hyundai

"POINTS OF INTEREST SEARCH AND TURN-BY-TURN NAVIGATION
    For vehicles that are not equipped with an on-board navigation system, this powerful tool can help you find points of interest ranging from a specific address for a location you know to general searches like “sushi” or “live music”. Once you select a point of interest, both a map and turn-by-turn audible directions are provided by Blue Link."
    This sounds a lot like the GM OnStar service, but you have to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by only1db View Post
    yeah....not sure i need the extra stuff...the camera was ok, but there is plenty of sight out the back. the wheels(im just going to replace them anyway.) the proximity key is a nice feature though
    I may have missed it, but I never heard any results from your Portland trip. What happened, any pics, test drive review?

The push button start is really nice. Also like the concept of remote start. Will go with tech

MTD
    Tech all the way. Hyundai's Navi is very good IMO along with the better stereo and amp/speakers, the backup camera is a great feature for parking in tight spots and the keyless is very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
    No one has confirmed what wheels come with the style package.
    That maybe the deal breaker for me, anyone have pics of those?

I wish I could just get the style package with the base wheels. I really don't like how limited you are with options.

I'd say it's because of these "limitations" in options that Hyundai is able to offer so much so a reasonable price. Fewer options/simple group packages make for a streamlined production model, which helps keep the price down.

Get it if you want it. But I must heartily disagree with those saying to get it to increase the resale value later on. Options are what depreciates fastest on a car.
    2003 Mazda Protege5
    2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B

I love having nav in my car, and not just when I'm trying to get someplace I don't know. So I'm already on-board for the biggest feature of the Tech package. The better stereo is welcome, and everything else in the package is just nifty extras as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, I'm wondering what the packages will be on the turbo... sigh.

Agree w/ nouse4aname, get it if you want it. I want it and can afford it so I will get it. I really don't care about resale, we just buy for us.
    Red, Red/Black, DCT Tech "Red Tail" tag "VELOSTR" 01/30/2012

I'm getting the tech package. Why? Cuz I want it.

My experience with options has been that more options don't help you sell the car for more money later, they help you sell your car faster. In my opinion, two cars for sale will differ little in the price when people are looking and making offers, but they will make the offer on the car that is better optioned first.

Also, if you are thinking of skipping the tech pack so that you can put your own upgrades in (stereo, keyless, backup cam, whatever), it seems better to me to just get the upgrades from the factory in the first place. Even if your equipment is magnitudes better than the factory setup, you now have a bastardized car. People are more likely to buy a car that hasn't been changed up, despite the fact that it is an improvement. People want a virgin car.

Just my opinions of course.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements