NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Accident Camera DVR

Accident Camera DVR

How many of you have a Accident Camera DVR in your car?I just installed this one from Deal Extreme.It suits me as I hate using those large windscreen suction holders, this one just sticks on the windscreen with 3m tape and I can just slide it to remove it.

OR, you can also use the suction bit if you want.

X6 2.0" LCD 3.0MP CMOS Wide Angle Car DVR Camcorder w/ Rearview Camera / TF / AV-Out - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Last edited by oldsalt; 01-21-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    My forum, if you are Ex or Current Australian ADF http://www.tri-service.org/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I do. I edited some footage off it and took it to the police and two drivers are in the process of losing their licences. It's amazing to film them, especially when I eventually turned off and was barely 3 or 4 seconds behind them despite the tailgating, the cutting other cars off, more tailgating, more cutting cars off, cutting me off, not using indicators multiple times etc etc. One was an older guy with his wife in a black AMG Mercedes. More fool him. A third driver overtook me on the left down the bicycle lane while I was stopped at a red light, and went through that red light and turned right across the front of my stationary car. Got a good shot of his face, which is important. That one won't lose his licence but it will cost him. Don't know why Canberra drivers are so impatient, but there will be two less maniacs on the road and a third who may think again.

Camera may help with insurance if worst comes to worst.

They are big in Europe and UK from what I've seen in YouTube videos.

There's even this guy that has a substantial amount of reviews and what not.

I'm more interested in the "surveillance" capabilities of it. As in recording what happens near my car when I'm not around.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    -- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

surveillance = Movement Detector and I have that switched to on.
    If anyone hits my car whilst parked, it would record the collision and automatically save the video as a file, the G Sensor does that.

The above unit I got from DX also came with a camera for the back of the car.

I have just finished installing it.

I ran the cable from near the reap wiper on the inside of the rear screen, along and under the left side trimming bits to the left flexible cable cover.

I removed the rubber grommets from the flexible cover and thread the connection bit through using a bit of coat hanger.

Removing a bit of the rubber door seal on the 3rd door, I used the wire again and threaded the cable through.

All I had to do then was to run the cable by pushing it under the head-lining to where the DVR was fitted to the right of the rear vision mirror.

The screen on the DVR shows 75% of the forward video and a corner of 25% showing the rear camera (pip).

So, now I am covered from the front and rear, movement detector and along with the 3 point G Sensor not much will avoid detection.

This is a HD unit, and I can read number plates on vehicles.

I did buy a 32gb memory card to use in it, that's the max it will take.

Personally, I think for the money and simple installation, you are mug if you don't have one.

Here is a link to a terrific review of this unit.
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2012/9/...ar-camera.html
    Last edited by oldsalt; 01-22-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    My forum, if you are Ex or Current Australian ADF http://www.tri-service.org/

Here's my dashcam dump :P

Mingo85 likes this.

Hey coriolis, thanks for taking the time to upload all that. What type of camera are you using? I would love to get something similar.

Also looking for some protection as well for those parking lots accidents too.
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo85 View Post
    Hey coriolis, thanks for taking the time to upload all that. What type of camera are you using? I would love to get something similar.

Also looking for some protection as well for those parking lots accidents too.
    Hey, a fellow GTA'er I'm using the BlackVue DR400H-G, which is a pretty high end model (I drive a company fleet car, I'm on the road for 5-6 hours a day) has GPS, 1080p recording @ 30fps, and a fairly sharp lens. Just in case.

I'd recommend looking at Itronics dash cams, however right now, dash cams are an emerging trend with most manufacturers coming from Asia (so lack of support, accessibility, warranty, etc. are limited). There are many low-mid end models to choose from, but its still pretty complicated on where to source the from.

Take a look in this thread, the more recent posts, I won't make you read the whole thread haha: [Merged] In car camera recommendations? - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

These r also big in korea, and i got 2 channel ones shipped from korea. Mine records front and rear. Also it is connected directly to the fuse box so that it is always on.it comes with some kind of an adapter so that it cuts off power before it drains the battery to the point when the car wont start.

Sent from my AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by coriolis View Post
    Hey, a fellow GTA'er I'm using the BlackVue DR400H-G, which is a pretty high end model (I drive a company fleet car, I'm on the road for 5-6 hours a day) has GPS, 1080p recording @ 30fps, and a fairly sharp lens. Just in case.

I'd recommend looking at Itronics dash cams, however right now, dash cams are an emerging trend with most manufacturers coming from Asia (so lack of support, accessibility, warranty, etc. are limited). There are many low-mid end models to choose from, but its still pretty complicated on where to source the from.

Take a look in this thread, the more recent posts, I won't make you read the whole thread haha: [Merged] In car camera recommendations? - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
    Hehe, I asked after seeing your videos and knowing you were from GTA as well. Figure no one to better understand some of the GTA needs better. Been reading some of that RFD thread on top of reviews of the BlackVue and RFD thread for the past month but couldn't really decide.

I saw that BlackVue has a 360 degree feature but that doesn't seem like I've seen videos of it changing angles and what not. Is it just so that it can be mounted in any position and still be able to record in the desired position?

Thanks.
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

Well, its not 360 in function, it allows you to pan up and down if need be. If you rotate it 180 (so facing back instead of forwards), you'll get an upside down recording.

At this moment, it looks like the Korean manufacturers are limiting where consumers can buy their dash cams because of all the 'grey market' sellers, basically the resellers that sell under MSRP. To curb that, the manufacturers are refusing warranty and service to non-authorized resellers.

MTD
    Driving around the GTA with all this poor drivers (especially Markham) I guess you might need some huge memory storage lol.

Ive thought about getting one, but knowing my luck, it would catch me doing something stupid.
    '13 VT

Thanks Coriolis!

LOL, MTD! I had the same thought. But trust me I see a lot of stupid things and then sometimes I just see the worse in people but definitely feel they should be called out on it. Two people in the past month while waiting at a red decided they were just too impatient and jetted through the intersection on the red once there was a gap in traffic... I know GTA needs a huge upgrade in the traffic light department but if you can dive the red like that I can't imagine what other lines are negligible to them. Scary thought and I think they need to be called out and given a wake up call.
    Last edited by Mingo85; 01-22-2013 at 02:21 PM.

I swear. Some people think it's ok to drive while mentally handicapped. Sorry--they don't make a sticker for that.
    Vitamin C "Dragon"
    "...of COURSE you're a girl dragon!"

I've used a Contour+2 in the past mounted up high by the mirror (had it my Jeep). 270 deg POV coverage in HD with built in GPS
    2013 - Veloster Turbo - Century White - Black Interior/Grey Accents - A/T
    Piercemotorsports VT-One series strutbrace
    Piercemotorsports Rear Torsion Bar
    Solo-Performance 3" Cat-Back + Flowmaster Tips
    K&N Typhoon Intake + Drycharger Cover
    Just call me Nevil the Devil

Quote Originally Posted by coriolis View Post
    Here's my dashcam dump :P

These were fun to watch, thanks for the videos. Did you capture any incidents at night? BTW you should've horned the Accord in the 'Sauga video. Otherwise that driver will pull off the same stunt elsewhere and eventually be turned into steak.

I've noticed a lot of drivers in the GTA do not know how to use their horns in appropriate situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chengster View Post
    These were fun to watch, thanks for the videos. Did you capture any incidents at night? BTW you should've horned the Accord in the 'Sauga video. Otherwise that driver will pull off the same stunt elsewhere and eventually be turned into steak.

I've noticed a lot of drivers in the GTA do not know how to use their horns in appropriate situations.

Nah, the dashcam is in the work car so I'm mostly recording when I'm out and about during the day. I do have some night recordings, but nothing interesting.

As for honking, I tend to forget to honk, even though its there. It doesn't help that the work car honks like a sissy. Beep beep beep beep @ 0:20:

Was kind of wishing for a dash cam last night. Was at a stop light, and when the green turn arrow came up, the car to my right takes off across the intersection. Fortunately, the people turning across the intersection were a little slow on the uptake. I'd have been pissed if I had to sit around for an accident for his dumb ass. I was being a good girlfriend and bringing soup home for my boyfriend who was sick.
    Vitamin C "Dragon"
    "...of COURSE you're a girl dragon!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chengster View Post
    ...I've noticed a lot of drivers in the GTA do not know how to use their horns in appropriate situations.
    My wife says that about me all the time and I say she honks too much. I use to honk at every mistake and now I'm returning back to honking since I am completely fed up with giving people the benefit of doubt and almost being run off the road twice this month. It really is safer when people use the horns appropriately.

Thanks for the post! I have been wanting one of these for a great price...I watched the review, great post.

Do you just have it loop continuously? What happens if you want to save the recording? Will it save the entire video since you started the car?

From wat ive seen usually it overwrites the oldest recording when it runs out of storage unless there was a impact event or sth

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements