I recently crashed my '97 Civic LX and am buying a new car. I have looked at many cars* and concluded that the Scion xD and Hyundai Veloster base are cars I would like to finally consider. I would like to know what advantages or benefits the Veloster has over the xD? Why would I buy this over an xD, and are there things you lament with the Veloster from a plain car/commuter point of view?
The price difference is not a big concern for me. What I value is reliability, usability, and well-built craftmanship. I take care of my car religiously (unless I'm crashing it) so ease of maintenance and repair is important. I don't care if the car is automatic of manual. I intend on test driving both cars soon, but since I have low expectations I think either would be decent compared to my last ride.
From my research and impressions:
- Good: modern six-speed transmission, cool appearance, more horsepower and torque with better official fuel economy, standard cargo cover, tighter turning radius
- Bad: unnecessary infotainment system/screen, no spare tire, wide expanse of glass in back (which worries me in a rear-end collision, since my friend's head only fit under the glass but not the ceiling)
- Good: easier versatility and use of space, cute appearance, more spartan dashboard and center console, better rear view visibility, smaller size (which will prove better in the city where I will move)
- Bad: outdated automatic transmission (more readily available here), no covered center storage (acts as an armrest too)
I appreciate your help and any contributions you may have. Thanks.
* - I've compared amongst an Elantra GT, Accent hatchback, tC, Spark, Sonic hatchback, Focus and Fiesta hatchbacks, Fit, Mazda3, Impreza hatchback