NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Worst ever in the snow.

Worst ever in the snow.

I drove my velostar for the first time in the snow tonight. I would of thought with front wheel drive the car would be okay. Its the worst car i ever driven in the snow. I was trying to leave my parents driveway and for at least an hour i was going nowhere. Why does the car put itself in neutral when a tire spins. If i wanted to burn the tires off then thats what i want it to do. Nope just when i think the car might make it , i get get a lil slip then the tranny goes into neutral again. Hears where it gets really weird, turn on the slippery road button and the car almost shuts off when you push the gas pedal. I've been driving in snow for 30 years and I've never seen a car do this. I don't know if its the dual tranny doing this but whatever it is, its not safe. Every car or truck i ever owned when u give it gas the tires turn. The lag in the tranny sucks when your trying to get going in the snow. 2 inches of snow kept me from moving. Finally after an hour i was able to back out in reverse only because the car stopped going into neutral when a tire slipped.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Do you have snow tires? Cuz the factory tires are garbage for winter.

I have a manual VT but with the traction control on I have no problems getting out of deep snow.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Im surprised your having issues being i just had mine in the snow for the first time and was surprised how well it did.
    Did you have the traction control on or off
    Cookie Monster-2013 Marathon Blue Veloster Turbo-Auto-Converted To Blue Interior,BD Customs FMIC, 2.5 in. Catless DP & CAI, NGM Coilovers, Hi/Lo/Fog HIDS, LEDS, Magnaflow Exhaust,Forge BOV,65A Poly Engine Mounts,Poly Exhaust Hangers,Import Shark STB,Maintec Torsion Bar, "Veloster Turbo" Acrylic Plates,Gold Rota P45 18x8 Kuhmo 4X 225/40/18s,Sequence Devil Claws,KDM Headlights, Weathertech Mats And Visors, TurboXS Billet Oil Cap

2009 Performance White Shelby GT500-725 Rwhp 676 Rwtrq- SOLD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't have snow tires but still something aint right. the noise the tranny was making , the way the car would all of sudden stop giving power to the wheels. I mean she nu push the gas the tires should spin. They would spin then stop spinning , then the revs would go up and then the car would almost stall. like i said when i turned the traction control on it got really weird.

Hur dur, first off... Veloster*. second you need tc off anytime you're going to try to spin the tires or anything. Lastly, tires are one of the most important things on a car. You can drive anything in the snow or any weather with the right tools. Get some snow tires an you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    My Veloster<---Click it!

Quote Originally Posted by walteramie View Post
    I don't have snow tires but still something aint right. the noise the tranny was making , the way the car would all of sudden stop giving power to the wheels. I mean she nu push the gas the tires should spin. They would spin then stop spinning , then the revs would go up and then the car would almost stall. like i said when i turned the traction control on it got really weird.
    Snow tires are the answer -- nothing else. It can be a life saving difference. With all-weather, you take your chance. You would not want to be driving far from home when snow starts to stick to the road unless you had snow tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jkt1954 View Post
    Snow tires are the answer -- nothing else. It can be a life saving difference. With all-weather, you take your chance. You would not want to be driving far from home when snow starts to stick to the road unless you had snow tires.
    Seconded.

Another thing, try moving from a stop with the TCS off, and the car in 2nd gear. It really helps.... I would explain how to do this, but I don't know where you are located, or what type and package of V you have. Please fill out your profile!
    2013 Marathon Blue VT MT, Morimoto HID, 2 12" Shallow Rockford Subs 560W @ 1ohm, SOLO,TS FMIC, Injen CAI, TORK Pipe, CERMA'd, Uniq Collars + Strut Bar.... More to Come!

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC
    Nokya Arctic White Fog Bulbs
    Nokya Arctic White High Beam Bulbs

Soon:
    Tork Catless DP, BPS Shift Bushings, Tork Stage ~1.5 tune, Rear Sway Bar.... For now.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires are awesome

2013 Marathon Blue NAV w/Style and DCT... Traded at 16,010 miles for the VT Above!

2012 with style and dct stock. all the extras you can get. I tried with and without traction control, i tried using the manual tranny , i tried using the tranny in auto didn't make a difference. I know snow tired are the best when it comes to winter driving but cmon when i hit the gas the tires should spin and keep spinning. every time id get a lil head start the left or right front tire would spin and then the tranny would put the car in a neutral state. Like i said I've never seen that before in a car or truck.

2012 with style and dct stock. all the extras you can get. I tried with and without traction control, i tried using the manual tranny , i tried using the tranny in auto didn't make a difference. I know snow tired are the best when it comes to winter driving but cmon when i hit the gas the tires should spin and keep spinning. every time id get a lil head start the left or right front tire would spin and then the tranny would put the car in a neutral state. Like i said I've never seen that before in a car or truck.
    The weight of the vehicle is another BIG factor. The Veloster is very light weight unlike a truck and many cars. That is why snow tires are essential to safe driving in SNOW.

I have a 32 mile commute and did it through the CT hills in 4" of snow last night with no issues. Snow tires all the way!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Chaos1114 likes this.

I have the exact same car except mine is a '13. Try 2nd gear starts with the TCS off. Push the shifter to the right from drive, and then move it until there is a 2 on the shift indicator. The TCS control is a Big button under the radio to the right side... looks like a car with skidmarks under it. Or it may be on the panel just below and to the left of the steering wheel on '12s. I live in Colorado, and routinely drive through 6+ Inches of snow through iced over mountain passes and I think the V is fine. I also have Blizzak WS70's on 16" steel rims though... Those definitely help.
    2013 Marathon Blue VT MT, Morimoto HID, 2 12" Shallow Rockford Subs 560W @ 1ohm, SOLO,TS FMIC, Injen CAI, TORK Pipe, CERMA'd, Uniq Collars + Strut Bar.... More to Come!

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC
    Nokya Arctic White Fog Bulbs
    Nokya Arctic White High Beam Bulbs

Soon:
    Tork Catless DP, BPS Shift Bushings, Tork Stage ~1.5 tune, Rear Sway Bar.... For now.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires are awesome

2013 Marathon Blue NAV w/Style and DCT... Traded at 16,010 miles for the VT Above!

You can tell people are not reading his post fully. He clearly stated that when he gives it gas with tc both on and off as soon as the tires would slip the car would automatically go to neutral. I don't care if you have snow tires or whatever. A car should never slip to neutral when the tires lose grip. If he had snow tires and was on a patch of ice and the tires slipped and went to neutral what would you blame now. Everybody here seems to think that snow tires solve a car slipping to neutral when the tires lose grip.

Anyways, also when a car does lose grip and tc is on it does significantly reduce your power. Most of us 6-speed guys know this all too well . You should let your dealer have a look at this. You have to replicate the symptom before they do anything. Just take a service tech to a empty parking lot or a lightly traveled hill that has wintry conditions( ie snow ice) and just give it gas and let him see the car slip from drive to neutral when the tires spin.

Hope this helps. Happy holidays!!

^ we all read it, I doubt it has anything todo with a brand new car more so than being a tard or we would have already heard of this. Sounds to me like someone's complaining because they can't drive a car right in snow and don't realize what todo when stuck. I've been in 2 ditches so far, no complaining here, I have slicks on practically, until this weekend when my snow tires arrive.

My Veloster<---Click it!

I just got back from my trip to Tahoe and yes the car feel like stalling when the tires are slipping, but the car never stall, just need a gentle and steady acceleration and it will go. I was using tire chain instead of snow tires as I don't live in a snowy area and only go to snowy area like 1-2 times a year.

zed
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMarioii View Post
    ^ we all read it, I doubt it has anything todo with a brand new car more so than being a tard or we would have already heard of this. Sounds to me like someone's complaining because they can't drive a car right in snow and don't realize what todo when stuck. I've been in 2 ditches so far, no complaining here, I have slicks on practically, until this weekend when my snow tires arrive.

so just because you haven't heard of this from anyone else the OP and I guess I am a tard and don't know how to drive our cars in snow. I have never bought snow tires for a car or truck and at almost 50 living in Missouri I have driven in snow a few times in my life.

I had the same problem with the traction control stopping the car while going up a small hill. my car also made some noises while the TCS was active. I turned off the TCS and was able to easily make it up the hill with tire spin. I have also found out that my ABS isn't working correctly either. makes a hell of a noise and a definite feel through the pedal.

I have an appointment set up with the dealer to have it looked at after the first.

watch what you say, just because you have never heard of something don't mean it isn't true or hasn't happened to someone else.

I have the original tires on my 2012 and I'm impressed with how well it handles in the snow. Not as good as my Wrangler with 31 inch all terrain tires, obviously, but better than any other economy car I've driven.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Yes, he was a bit emotional which to many gives the impression that it is a user error instead of a car issue. But just because no one has heard about a similar problem doesn't mean it isn't possible. Some places are only starting to get hit with snow now and so having issues arise now also isn't that odd. I'm sure the responses wouldn't be as emotional or targeted to user error if his post was phrased like a question asking if any other users experienced their car jumping into neutral and the tires stop spinning when the car loses traction, or something along those lines.

People do raise great points and guidelines for a properly operating vehicle and anyone can appreciate that. We just had our first snow storm and I instantly felt the effects of how light the VT is. The last time I felt this was in a Enterprise rental when they gave my parents a Nissan Versa and my mom wouldn't drive it because it was sliding everywhere so I swapped cars with her for those few days while her Elantra was in the shop. But yeah for my VT's rear has been giving out and flying all over the place that first evening. I still have a lot to test out as well whether it be the snow tires not handling the fresh soft snow well, my own driving habits (based on previous experience in our Elantra with Generals) which stayed planted for years and only was sliding a bit when we hit the third or fourth winter on those snow tires. I found my wife's hybrid to be performing a bit more sound with the Yokohama IG20's but then again her car is between 130 (manufacturer) to over 200 (reviews tested) lbs more curb weight than my VT. She also has a lot more weight at the back with the hybrid battery too. I'm sure everything contributes but even myself I have to find out each variable to make sure I understand my car under all conditions, that's my due diligence.

I know this isn't the first thing that comes to mind when you are having issues but document them at the first sign of something that could be wrong, big or small. If you have help (which I assume maybe your parents could have helped), get a video on your phone showing the acceleration process and the gears jumping to neutral and the revs jumping high and then another with the tires coming to a stop while accelerating and the gear jumping to neutral by itself. I find the video to be far superior than having them recreate anything and you have that as proof of the issue going forward until the issue is resolved.

Hopefully your issue gets resolved soon if none of the suggestions posted help your issue. But if you are having troubles, take it in as soon as you can. Don't feel discouraged to post any issues in the future. Usually we are all very helpful in trying to identify issues or point people in the direction of past threads of similar issues (although in this case it appears users haven't heard about something similar yet).
    RPW00Mirage and lionrohrs like this.
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

that noise and feel with ABS seems correct, that is how it works on all cars with ABS. the first one i drove was my dads 01 xtreme, first time i hit that pedal hard i thought i broke something with the awful noise. turns out the brakes were doing there job. now this is my 2nd car with ABS (my 09 corolla was AWFUL the ABS would kick on ALL THE TIME) and im still getting used to it, but i will say it certainly is better for slowing down then locking up all the wheels.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual

like i said guys I've been driving in the snow for all my life and i never had a car jump in a neutral position when a tire slips. Im sure snow tires would help a lot. A friend of mine said he had a work van do the same thing to him last year. HE was at the house last night when i was trying to get out, i wish i had him take a video. I kept asking him to look at my tires and tell me when the right and left tires spun and he said yeah thats weird are u hitting the gas and i said yep and that the car jumps to neutral when the tires spin. The 1 thing that did save me was that the veloster if u just put it in gear the car will rock back and forth and i did that like a million times and finally was able to get going. But once i got going and the tires spun i would come to stop not because i was slipping but because i was in neutral.

When i was stuck in one place i could get the tires to keep spinning like every car I've driven but once i started moving and the tires spun the car would shift to neutral. thats what was so frustrating. Id be going and thinking I'm gonna make it out and id get a tire spin and bang slip neutral stop. By the time the tire would get power again it was too late .

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements