NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Worst ever in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots Ylectric View Post
    Sorry for the lower res pics, but I always error out trying to post my full res ones. Which I could share the full res images here. Anyway, these are taken after I "cleared the snow" from our "driveway" The VT had zero problems with these conditions all weekend long. I literally have zero complaints about it. I was pleasently surprised considering what everyone else had to say.

Attachment 11748Attachment 11749Attachment 11750Attachment 11751Attachment 11752
    Got a bit of old Ashton Kutcher going on there! http://ca.eonline.com/eol_images/Ent....cm.101611.jpg

How many people were in the car? The gear I think helps too. The added weight from passengers and the gear with the roof rack is great help for tackling the snow =) Once you get closer to SUV/Van weight, everything handles at a different level. Car looks great in the snow btw! =)
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo85 View Post
    Got a bit of old Ashton Kutcher going on there! http://ca.eonline.com/eol_images/Ent....cm.101611.jpg

How many people were in the car? The gear I think helps too. The added weight from passengers and the gear with the roof rack is great help for tackling the snow =) Once you get closer to SUV/Van weight, everything handles at a different level. Car looks great in the snow btw! =)
    LOL I got that all the time last year when he was on the Cover of men's health and had a beard and so did I. I'll take it, he got Mila Kunis lol.

Most of the driving we only had two people, and once we got to the cabin we dropped all the gear and never had much more than boots and a backpack each.

I wish I took a few more photos in the snow, especially out where we were it looked right at home like a little rally car.
    2013 Veloster Turbo - Boston Red - Matte Black Vinyl Graphics
    twitter.com/Boots_Ylectric
    Instagram - Boots_Ylectric
    Get high on rocks - adventuresinclimbing.org

Angry Now im pissed. worst car in the snow. Gear shifter wont let me shift.

I was the one saying this car sucks in the snow last week and everyone hear says oh no this car is great. well i crashed it the other day. I was driving down the road and the roads were clear then i went to turn onto a side road and there was alittle snow on that road. I was going 10 miles per hour and the car started to slide i tapped my breaks and all i got was solid pedal. I got no break whatsoever. I let off and tapped the brake again same problem. The brake pedal felt like it had a block of wood behind it. So much for antilock breaks. So into the snow bank i went. I was right next to a friends house and he helped pull me off the bank. Not much damage, just some pulling and pushing the clips that hold everything back in. Thank god for platic. I need a new fog light and clip for the right side fender and a plastic wheel well but besides that its all good. So today i go out and start the car and i try to put it in gear, nope, gear shifter wont move. I have to overide it with the buttin. Whats up with that. When i overide the car and put it in reverse all i heard was a gringing noise then the car moved fine. I got pissed and shut it off and took a real automoble to the store. MY 1995 FORD F250. That truck never grinds , never gets stuck and never had problems with the brakes, matter of fact never a problem with anything. I liked the veloster for about a month , now i realize this car is just garbage. cheaply made and not built for the northeast. I wanna take a sledgehammer to it so bad.
    Last edited by walteramie; 01-04-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by walteramie View Post
    I was the one saying this car sucks in the snow last week and everyone hear says oh no this car is great. well i crashed it the other day. I was driving down the road and the roads were clear then i went to turn onto a side road and there was alittle snow on that road. I was going 10 miles per hour and the car started to slide i tapped my breaks and all i got was solid pedal. I got no break whatsoever. I let off and tapped the brake again same problem. The brake pedal felt like it had a block of wood behind it. So much for antilock breaks. So into the snow bank i went. I was right next to a friends house and he helped pull me off the bank. Not much damage, just some pulling and pushing the clips that hold everything back in. Thank god for platic. I need a new fog light and clip for the right side fender and a plastic wheel well but besides that its all good. So today i go out and start the car and i try to put it in gear, nope, gear shifter wont move. I have to overide it with the buttin. Whats up with that. When i overide the car and put it in reverse all i heard was a gringing noise then the car moved fine. I got pissed and shut it off and took a real automoble to the store. MY 1995 FORD F250. That truck never grinds , never gets stuck and never had problems with the brakes, matter of fact never a problem with anything. I liked the veloster for about a month , now i realize this car is just garbage. cheaply made and not built for the northeast. I wanna take a sledgehammer to it so bad.

go sledge hammer it your car either A had a problem .. or you're lying about your story...

i mean you people seriously have to be ****ing kidding me.. my parking lot at work still is a sheet of ice and I have 0 trouble driving through it, accelerating braking or anything at over 10 mph.... hell I was a tard yesterday and was thinking a redlight was a green light cuz I was exhausted and floored it .. slammed on my brakes to not run the light and the ABS kicked in and the car stopped awesome
    VelosterLady likes this.

Yep....clearly has a tranny problem between your 2 issues. If you haven't had it looked at, I fail to see it being the cars problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

reason #2134723847298 why i love my manual.
    VelosterLady likes this.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual

Breathe buddy... That's it, one deep breath at a time. It'll all be ok, now now.

Seriously, stuff happens. No one wants it to but it does. Everyone hopes the best for you but there's no need to rage. We all understand that stuff can happen. We don't need to start any riots and have all the couple of thousand V owners marching up head office demanding they give us new cars because a few of them have had issues. It'll be ok, and if it isn't throw them a lemon and make them eat it until their face curls...
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

Quote Originally Posted by Bdiggy View Post
    Yep....clearly has a tranny problem between your 2 issues. If you haven't had it looked at, I fail to see it being the cars problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    This.
    Or OP is just a terrible driver in the snow, and would rather blame it on his car.

Nobody else has these issues, so take your car into the dealer. If they find anything wrong, make them pay for the repair. If not... Maybe snow tires if you don't have them already. If the area you are in has larger amounts of ice, get some with studs.

You also say that your Ford performs way better on the snow. This makes sense... Your ford probably weighs twice as much, and has roughly the same contact area for the tires. It grips better because of this.

I have Blizzak WS70's on my NAV w/ DCT and routinely drive over fresh and packed snow in excess of 6", with ice under it, as well as just icy roads and mountain passes. I think the V is one of the best FWD cars I've driven in winter conditions. Just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    2013 Marathon Blue VT MT, Morimoto HID, 2 12" Shallow Rockford Subs 560W @ 1ohm, SOLO,TS FMIC, Injen CAI, TORK Pipe, CERMA'd, Uniq Collars + Strut Bar.... More to Come!

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC
    Nokya Arctic White Fog Bulbs
    Nokya Arctic White High Beam Bulbs

Soon:
    Tork Catless DP, BPS Shift Bushings, Tork Stage ~1.5 tune, Rear Sway Bar.... For now.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires are awesome

2013 Marathon Blue NAV w/Style and DCT... Traded at 16,010 miles for the VT Above!

Did you feel this way before you took the car out and hit the snow bank?

I wanna take a sledgehammer to it so bad.
    Ultimate Elite White VT A/T • Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back • Vogue Signature V Tires • OEM Mudguards • Short Ram Intake • Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust • Turbosocks FMIC • BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

Im fine like i said nobody got hurt. We were only going 10 miles per hour. I was actually glad the car didnt have more damage. a pull hear and a push there and the all the pieces went went back together . I need a foglight and a clip for the fender and a plastic tire well but all that i can do myself so not too bad. I was pissed but it could of been worse. I talked to hyundai and they said that there is a switch in the tranny that might be bad and to bring it in. So i guess now ill get my chance to explain some of the issues. Anybody know where i might be able to get those parts for cheap. I would like to buy oem if at all possible

Quote Originally Posted by tlyons1022 View Post
    This.
    OP is just a terrible driver in the snow, and would rather blame it on his car.
    ^^^^
    This

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    2013 Veloster Turbo 6spd MT - Ultimate edition: Turbosocks FMIC, Solo Performance Catback, HKS Style BOV, 3" Turbosocks CAI, 18x8.5" Enkei Kojins ..BTRcc dyno tune coming August 17th !!!

Yeah, that sucks bigtime. The reality, though, is that it's not some big conspiracy of all of us lying to you when we say our Vs seem good in the snow... you know, once you get off of the Kumhos. The logical extension here is that it doesn't seem to be a problem pervasive in the model, more an issue with your specific ride. The worst kind of issue, because when you bring it up in here everyone just slams on you. Well, gripe away, my friend. Then you should probably take it to the doctor's office for a full work-up.

yes when i got stuck on flat ground in the snow last week

I know snow , ive driven in it my whole life. I snow plow in the winter months. I never got into an accident in the snow until this car. I never got stuck in the snow until this car. My pickup is two wheel drive , yes its heavier then the v but come on everybody knows 2 wheel drive pickups are the worst in the snow. I love the car, i do. My fiancee hates it.

Just frustrated.
    \

yep

i live in buffalo NY, and we have about a foot of snow and the 2013 veloster turbo so far ,so good ,it's my wifes new car she picked it out and drives it in snow and has not complained ? stock tires, it has traction control and stabilatrac?, that seems to work fine,
    elecblue06 likes this.

We had about 18 inches of snow 1 week ago (Montreal...), and with good winter tires (Toyo Garit Kx), I was surprised I didn't got stock anywhere!
    2012 Veloster Vitamin C, Canadian Base model!

You should have applied more pressure to the pedal on the right. FWD oversteering (sliding) = application of motive-power to help correct your line.

Note I did not say "stomp the shyte out of the accelerator-pedal".
    Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

김치

I drove my velostar for the first time in the snow tonight. I would of thought with front wheel drive the car would be okay. Its the worst car i ever driven in the snow. I was trying to leave my parents driveway and for at least an hour i was going nowhere. Why does the car put itself in neutral when a tire spins. If i wanted to burn the tires off then thats what i want it to do. Nope just when i think the car might make it , i get get a lil slip then the tranny goes into neutral again. Hears where it gets really weird, turn on the slippery road button and the car almost shuts off when you push the gas pedal. I've been driving in snow for 30 years and I've never seen a car do this. I don't know if its the dual tranny doing this but whatever it is, its not safe. Every car or truck i ever owned when u give it gas the tires turn. The lag in the tranny sucks when your trying to get going in the snow. 2 inches of snow kept me from moving. Finally after an hour i was able to back out in reverse only because the car stopped going into neutral when a tire slipped.
    You should not have to "turn on" the traction control, its on by default. If you pushed the button then you turned the traction control OFF,which might explain part of why you were sliding all over. I drove mine in the snow twice so far and she's been just fine.
    Former cars:
    2013 Veloster Boston Red
    ext, black & gray int. 6spd M/T(Christine the evil demon car)
    Replaced 11/2013 with a black 2013 Elantra GT 6spd M/T Style & Tech, Loaded with every possible option. (Demon car part 2)
    Current Vehicle since June 2014, Happily driving trouble free a brand new 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD with Navi in Mountain Air Metallic
    33.8MPG for an AWD with no trips to the shop, yep I'm a happy gal

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements