NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cbrmale
  • 1 Post By Curmudgeon
  • 1 Post By wemay

Thread: Engine Oil Overfill

Engine Oil Overfill

Is it ok if the oil level is past the "Full line," I think the dealership overfilled it, its about 1 inch past the Full Line. Can i leave it in or should I bring it back and let them drain it? I will check in the morning when its cold to see how full it is. But just want to know the BADS if its overfilled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Its best to check your oil at operating temperature. 1 inch is alot of over fill. A little bit over is 1 thing but an inch is to much.
    Cookie Monster-2013 Marathon Blue Veloster Turbo-Auto-Converted To Blue Interior,BD Customs FMIC, 2.5 in. Catless DP & CAI, NGM Coilovers, Hi/Lo/Fog HIDS, LEDS, Magnaflow Exhaust,Forge BOV,65A Poly Engine Mounts,Poly Exhaust Hangers,Import Shark STB,Maintec Torsion Bar, "Veloster Turbo" Acrylic Plates,Gold Rota P45 18x8 Kuhmo 4X 225/40/18s,Sequence Devil Claws,KDM Headlights, Weathertech Mats And Visors, TurboXS Billet Oil Cap

2009 Performance White Shelby GT500-725 Rwhp 676 Rwtrq- SOLD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The car should be started and run for a couple of minutes and then left to stand for several minutes to allow the oil to drain into the sump. The dipstick should be wiped with paper towel or clean cloth when the level is checked. Alternatively the oil can be checked several minutes after the car has been driven.

I'm not sure what an inch is but I think it's a lot. This is why I do my own servicing because I do it right. The crankshaft will be dipping into the oil and that won't do wonders for performance or fuel economy, and it will cause the oil to froth as well. The oil level should be rectified as soon as possible and if it were my car I would be seeking the service manager and would humiliate him regarding the mechanical ineptitude of the mechanics who work for him. Not discuss, not complain but humilate, because over-filling a car and not checking is a disgraceful thing to do, and there are absolutely no excuses that can be accepted, whatsoever.

I would never take my car back to that workshop because if they can't do a simple job right, what hope do you hold for the future?
    blackjack likes this.

A local dealer that calibrates the V fills at 3.7 quarts results in an overfill of 1/2 inch on the dipstick. When I complained, the service tech offered to drain the surplus but assured me (I have it in writing) that it would not be an issue.

I didn't consider the 1/2 inch overfill a threat, however a 1 inch overfill could be pushing the limit. On the other hand, the V's sump is TINY and it doesn't require much oil volume to elevate the reading on the 'stick. Measure the overfill carefully and do as you think appropriate.

If the VT's larger oil capacity is the result of a larger sump, I would wish that Hyundai so blessed us NAV owners likewise.
    wemay likes this.

ok so overfilling is a much bigger issue then i thought. I will have to do a more thorough check tomorrow, driving it to normal temp and then checking it. If its still a lot over the line, im taking it back to the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A local dealer that calibrates the V fills at 3.7 quarts results in an overfill of 1/2 inch on the dipstick. When I complained, the service tech offered to drain the surplus but assured me (I have it in writing) that it would not be an issue.

I didn't consider the 1/2 inch overfill a threat, however a 1 inch overfill could be pushing the limit. On the other hand, the V's sump is TINY and it doesn't require much oil volume to elevate the reading on the 'stick. Measure the overfill carefully and do as you think appropriate.

If the VT's larger oil capacity is the result of a larger sump, I would wish that Hyundai so blessed us NAV owners likewise.
    The turbo does have a larger sump, but oil capacity is related to running temperature and a bigger sump means the oil will take longer to warm up, which is not good. The turbo has a bigger oil capacity because it runs hotter, just as the 865cc black, air-cooled motorcycle you can see holds about 4.5 litres (and still runs 100 degree or more oil temps in summer). The turbo runs higher oil temps because of lubricating the turbocharger, and it also has oil-cooled pistons and is generally more stressed.

3.5 litres of oil is typical for a small capacity, normally aspirated engine.

you should never over fill an engine. the manufacturer spent millions of dollars for engineers to figure out the exact amount of oil needed.
    put in what the manufacturer requires. NO MORE, NO LESS.

Problems Caused by Engine Oil Overfill | eHow.com (i know it's ehow, but a solid read nonetheless)

and as far as your dealership putting too much oil, personally, i would take it back and have them drain it (it's your car, not theirs (they don't care if they mess it up))
    or do it yourself. whether it's a free oil change or not, i'd prefer not to have anyone touching my baby

Dealer Overfilled Engine Oil. Advice? - NASIOC

thanks everyone, i had it drained out. Just a note to everyone, if this ever happens to you it is ok for a short distance drive, i drove probably 20-30km before having it drained out. Service guy said if you overfill and drive it everyday without knowing, god knows what will happen to you engine.

My point on the dealership in question is that if their mechanics cannot pour oil in and then check the dipstick, what hope do you hold for future servicing to be done competently? I have had cars go for routine services and then had the brake pad wear indicators start squealing a few days later (quite a few times with different makes of cars). What about checking brake pads during the service? And if brake pads were not checked, what else was not checked? Indeed, what else was not done?

I have totally lost faith in mechanics employed by car dealerships which is why I do my own servicing, although an option here is to find a non-dealership workshop with a good reputation and have them do the logbook servicing if you don't think you're up to doing everything yourself. Servicing of a Veloster or a Veloster Turbo is no more difficult than any other Hyundai model, and no more difficult than any other car on the road. Different oil change intervals and oil viscosities for the turbo are about the extent of it.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipes View Post
    .. Service guy said if you overfill and drive it everyday without knowing, god knows what will happen to you engine.
    Don't know about god, but I know running an overfilled engine will force oil past crankshaft oilseals causing leaks, force more oil mist up the crankcase breather causing contamination in the intake, and cause more drag on the internals of the engine.
    As for trusting a dealership not to overfill .. what if they do the opposite and not put enough in? Now you'd have excessive wear. I had a dealership underfill my wife's Durango by 1 litre .. but I caught it right away. I was not impressed as I had supplied the oil (synthetic) and they kept the missing litre.

It takes more energy to turn the crankshaft, so your motor seems to "lose" some power. This may, in extraordinary cases, harm certain seals and gaskets.
    Far worse, however, is that the excess oil will be blown into the air intake manifold, from there it gets into the cylinders (together with the air), where it is burnt off - damaging the catalytic converter.

I wouldn't worry at all if only 1/2 an inch over.
    Last edited by wemay; 06-10-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Curmudgeon likes this.

Because we know for certain that half an inch doesn't have interference with the crankshaft...

Listen if the there's a line that say's "full" or "max" please follow it.
    Mike

Not that I condone it, but its no need to panic unless you check the dipstick immediately after a spirited drive and it appears foamy. This would be a clear indication of overfill and interference as Aeroscout977 has alluded to. Unless that is the case, drive it normally until you have a chance to remove the desired amount.
    Last edited by wemay; 06-11-2013 at 12:17 PM.

16. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements