Veloster Forum banner

increase performance without the noise... exhaust and intake question

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Tuns 
#1 ·
Quick frame of reference. When I had my 04 tahoe, I put in a set of LPP long tube headers and a magnaflow muffler. The thing was louder than I liked as it was obnoxious. So we went in and welded in some low profile glass packs in two different places to further dampen the sound (while still keeping high flow design intact). The additional glass packs helped a ton in dampening the noise even though the truck was still noticeably louder.

flash forward - working on putting together a deal to get my first Veloster ('16 VT) and I am trying to line up the mods I will be doing upon arrival. I want to know what type of exhaust has been used that gives the most "discreet" sound profile.

In regards to the intake, I had an AEM brute force short ram on my Tahoe and loved it. I am concerned about a CAI because I am always worried about sucking water into the motor. Thoughts? Experience?

#2 ·
I guess it really depends on what your definition of discreet is, I've got a 16' VT with just a Magnaflow catback and to be honest it isn't a whole ton louder. When you want it to be, it can though (4th, ~40mph half throttle has a nice grumble, but its not too loud). It is super easy to cruise at near stock sound, assuming you shift earlier. Even my dad likes the exhaust and hes anti-modding haha

Heres a rev clip I took at an underpass, the pop you hear on the highest rev has never happened when in gear, and only happens when you rev to like 5.5k

#10 ·
The car's primary function is commuter. The turbo and "extras" is because I spend a lot of time in the car at I want to (at the very least) enjoy my time in it. Veloster is still a very economic option both up from, and long term. Genesis doesn't fit the bill in this case.

Rather than replacing the exhaust, I'd opt for replacing the downpipe and keep the stock resonator & muffler. This is where you'll see actual gains being as the catalytic converter is the most restrictive part after the turbo. I did this for a while in my 2015 and noise wise it was just slightly louder than stock. Stock exhaust sound BTW is non-existent. Most of it is fake through the speakers. For a 2016 however, you will require getting a DP with an elbow.
I went looking around and, as I am currently highly noob when it comes to Veloster, I cannot seem to work out which is which. I did some google'ing and 845 keeps coming up but cannot seem to figure out the correct part for the '16 VT.... help with a part number?

The thing that sucks about wanting more performance without much sound is really hard to do. The lack of sound is also a lack of efficiency. Not saying that the louder your car is, the more power you will have, but to increase the power you're going to have to sacrifice the quietness.

I'd recommend getting it tuned and calling it good. Call up Eurocharged Houston and ask them about sending in your ECU to be bench flashed. The only disadvantage is your car will be down for about 5 days. The upside, you will keep the comfortable quiet of the car and you will increase performance and driveability significantly.

Do you have a DCT or a manual? And where are you from? You might be close enough to one of the Eurocharged shops to just drive there and get it tuned with no downtime at all.
I understand this concept, what I don't want is for my car to sound like the 17-year-old kid up the street driving his civic around like he is Paul Walker (God rest his soul). I understand increasing performance and efficiency is, by nature, going to increase the heard noise. What I am trying to do is mitigate this as much as possible.... The VT I am lining up is DCT. Elite White 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo #SH160221 at San Tan Hyundai Phoenix Phoenix AZ (That is the link to the Veloster I test drove this weekend). I am from Gilbert, AZ. What does that tune do to the factory warranty? Anything i should know? The Magnuson-Moss act covers bolt-ons... but not so sure about re-tunning the ECM. No?

(**note, nothing against 17-year-old kids with loud cars, I was that kid!!!! Just trying to achieve a different goal these days)

Yup, Hyundai isn't the only one either, BMW does as well as others. Here's how to get rid of it:
http://www.veloster.org/forum/65-hy...h/50505-how-turn-off-active-sound-design.html
Thanks for this!!!! This will be a huge help

#5 ·
Rather than replacing the exhaust, I'd opt for replacing the downpipe and keep the stock resonator & muffler. This is where you'll see actual gains being as the catalytic converter is the most restrictive part after the turbo. I did this for a while in my 2015 and noise wise it was just slightly louder than stock. Stock exhaust sound BTW is non-existent. Most of it is fake through the speakers. For a 2016 however, you will require getting a DP with an elbow.

#8 ·
Im just getting a custom 3in cat-back, its a little cheaper imo (depends where you are) MBRP, Magnaflow, ARK...theres so many brands to choose from, look em up on youtube to figure which one would sound better for ya

#9 · (Edited)
The thing that sucks about wanting more performance without much sound is really hard to do. The lack of sound is also a lack of efficiency. Not saying that the louder your car is, the more power you will have, but to increase the power you're going to have to sacrifice the quietness.

I'd recommend getting it tuned and calling it good. Call up Eurocharged Houston and ask them about sending in your ECU to be bench flashed. The only disadvantage is your car will be down for about 5 days. The upside, you will keep the comfortable quiet of the car and you will increase performance and driveability significantly.

Do you have a DCT or a manual? And where are you from? You might be close enough to one of the Eurocharged shops to just drive there and get it tuned with no downtime at all.

#11 ·
It will lead to warranty denial if you tune it. What you can do however, is get a factory ECU and have your maps copied over to that ECU then you just tune that ECU instead of the factory one. I'm not sure if Eurocharged has done any DCTs yet, but I'm sure they can. It's just adjusting the fueling and throttle maps so transmission type shouldn't matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.