NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Open Diff or LSD?

Open Diff or LSD?

Please tell me we have an LSD

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by UB13VT View Post
    Please tell me we have an LSD
    You might have a Limited Slip Differential, but the Veloster Turbo has an open one.

The current VT does not.

More goodies = More $$$

The current VT is an inexpensively fast hatchback with tech & utility, with autocross/tracking capabilities. It is not a track beast, like a Mazdaspeed3, Focus ST, etc. Think of it as a thrifty GTI, which is very much a compliment, the GTI has been the all-round benchmark for hot hatches. It's cheaper to buy and maintain, but sacrifices the mechanical and refinement of being in the market and dominating it (not in performance, but in market share).

Due to the price, style(some may or may not agree), and the reliability factor, the VT will always been a good alternative to the category. It may not perform as well on a track or through pylons in an empty parking lot, but what it does offer, it does it well.
    Last edited by coriolis; 09-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coriolis View Post
    The current VT does not.

More goodies = More $$$

The current VT is an inexpensively fast hatchback with tech & utility, with autocross/tracking capabilities. It is not a track beast, like a Mazdaspeed3, Focus ST, etc. Think of it as a thrifty GTI, which is very much a compliment, the GTI has been the all-round benchmark for hot hatches. It's cheaper to buy and maintain, but sacrifices the mechanical and refinement of being in the market and dominating it (not in performance, but in market share).

Due to the price, style(some may or may not agree), and the reliability factor, the VT will always been a good alternative to the category. It may not perform as well on a track or through pylons in an empty parking lot, but what it does offer, it does it well.
    I really wouldn't consider 26K inexpensive haha

people are placing too much faith in an LSD.. a good set of tires and good suspension setup will make you not care about it. the biggest time an lsd helps is coming out of the corners.. yes it makes it so you can do 2 wheel burnouts instead of "one wheel peels" but it's not something that REALLY helps you going in a straight line.. There are many higher horsepower cars that don't have an lsd and do just fine (my car included)

Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    people are placing too much faith in an LSD.. a good set of tires and good suspension setup will make you not care about it. the biggest time an lsd helps is coming out of the corners.. yes it makes it so you can do 2 wheel burnouts instead of "one wheel peels" but it's not something that REALLY helps you going in a straight line.. There are many higher horsepower cars that don't have an lsd and do just fine (my car included)
    Could you please name the high horsepower cars that do good without an LSD just fine

This car has a lot of features for the price and most buyers of this car are no thinking about high speed cornering. If you plan on buying a more track worthy car, I suggest the Fiat Abarth 500, Focus ST, Golf GTI, Civic SI or Mini Cooper S. None of these cars will match the features per dollar of this car or the fuel economy either.

the problem with an open diff is that the car cant put the power to the ground coming out of the corners; when the weight shifts to one side, the wheel with no weight on it goes crazy!
    Keep it gangster.

In my opinion a true Hi-Po FWD vehicle will have LSD. Nothing wrong with the V or VT but they really aren't HiPo vehicles. When I replaced the open diff in my GSR with the ITR tranny (with LSD) the improvement in straight away traction and cornering traction was absolutely astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by 5LV8 View Post
    This car has a lot of features for the price and most buyers of this car are no thinking about high speed cornering. If you plan on buying a more track worthy car, I suggest the Fiat Abarth 500, Focus ST, Golf GTI, Civic SI or Mini Cooper S. None of these cars will match the features per dollar of this car or the fuel economy either.

Main reason i went with it over those you listed. I took a very hard look at the GTI but they're boring and common.

you and your damn integra!!
    Keep it gangster.

I know, I know... I'll try to refrain from making comments about it... My bad! It's just that it's so very well rounded of a vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    I know, I know... I'll try to refrain from making comments about it... My bad! It's just that it's so very well rounded of a vehicle!
    Friend of mine had gotten a Type R tegra for his high school graduation and it was a very very sweet car. He ofcourse wrapped it around a pole street racing a month later but it was so beautiful.

you got a case of DC2 nostalgia ( dont worry your not the only one )
    Keep it gangster.

Quote Originally Posted by UB13VT View Post
    Could you please name the high horsepower cars that do good without an LSD just fine
    depends on what you consider high horsepower.. i said higher.. all the turbo cobalts have it as an option but it's not standard..I mean heck I run a decent amount of power (double the crank of the VT and 2800 lbs) and I have no issue with not having an lsd.. lsd's aren't a necessity like people seem to think they are. like i said proper suspension and tires can do more then just throwing a lsd in the tranny
    Last edited by elecblue06; 09-04-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    depends on what you consider high horsepower.. i said higher.. all the turbo cobalts have it as an option but it's not standard..I mean heck I run a decent amount of power (double the crank of the VT and 2800 lbs) and I have no issue with not having an lsd.. lsd's aren't a necessity like people seem to think they are. like i said proper suspension and tires can do more then just throwing a lsd in the tranny
    ^^^This guy is an idiot! No offense meant, well actually plenty of offense. LSD is beyond necessary, especially on a front wheel drive car. The VT in its glory and the few Cobalts (not many were actually sold without that option) cannot put the power to the ground. The VT is actually hilarious at launch because of the wheel hop from hell and when applying power mid turn you can hear the one wheel screaming, "OMG IT BURNS IT BURNS, LAZY ASS OTHER WHEEL HELP ME." This is one of the reasons (bad tuning of the turbo being the other) that the VT put down the pitiful 0-60, quarter mile, and figure 8 times that it did.

Test drove one and I think I will wait for Hyundai to get some sense before buying a VT.
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec Tusukuba Red
    Exterior: M&S Carart Type D, BBM lip spoiler, SuperLux, Varrstoen 1.1.2, VIS CF Fog Bezels, Senomia CF Rear Defusser, VIS AMS CF Hood
    Performance: Custom Intake, Injen Cat Back Exhaust, BR Downpipe & O2 housing (1 piece), Megan Racing Coils, Forge BOV, AEM FMIC, BTRcc Reflash (Race Tune), Uniq Performance Strut Brace
    Dyno 6/8/13 - 244 hp, 291 ft lb (Dynojet 105 F ambient air) - Base Line - 191 hp, 210 ft lb (Dynojet 78 F ambient air)

Quote Originally Posted by Aintgonnahappn View Post
    ^^^This guy is an idiot! No offense meant, well actually plenty of offense. LSD is beyond necessary, especially on a front wheel drive car. The VT in its glory and the few Cobalts (not many were actually sold without that option) cannot put the power to the ground. The VT is actually hilarious at launch because of the wheel hop from hell and when applying power mid turn you can hear the one wheel screaming, "OMG IT BURNS IT BURNS, LAZY ASS OTHER WHEEL HELP ME." This is one of the reasons (bad tuning of the turbo being the other) that the VT put down the pitiful 0-60, quarter mile, and figure 8 times that it did.

Test drove one and I think I will wait for Hyundai to get some sense before buying a VT.
    wow.. idk what you problem is dude.. i DD a car with 350 + whp ...... and no lsd.. and I rarely have issues, not to mention.. cobalts were sold with the lsd option and NOT many of them came with it.. more of the ss/tc's came with then ss/sc but still. shockingly enough I can even power out of turns with proper pedal control with the way my suspension is setup (rather raked to keep alot of weight on the front wheels and reduce transfer) the ss/sc, saturn ion redline both came with more power then the VT and weighed approximately the same and they didn't come standard with lsd and they were MUCH more expensive with one then without .. and many of them didn't come with the option

you mention 0-60, 1/4 and figure 8.. all of which could be GREATLY improved by good tires and a better suspension setup running auto/x is where the lsd would really shine (so the figure it would be helped the most, but would still benefit GREATLY from better tires and suspension)

so you need to do yourself a favor .. and take your ****** attitude elsewhere.

I'm glad you think you're the gestapo on this matter but what have you actually driven FWD that hasn't had lsd and then the same car with lsd to actually see the difference? sorry but I'm pulling from my ACTUAL experience here
    RKoz likes this.

Well, I would rather have my car put the Power to the Ground Equally. Especially from a Boosted Motor, Or V8 Muscle.
    VELOSTER APPAREL https://plus.google.com/u/0/100445685402074231306/posts

: Official US Copyright Office Registration Information> Of My Silhouette Named.. "Tuner Car Profile" >> VA0001829171 / 2012-07-14

an lsd helps when the tires are spinning ( more in corner) how do you get around that? make it spin less.. so better tires and suspension mods

But to say that theres not a huge benefit is ridiculous. Can a car be driven without lsd controlled, yes. With proper suspension dimensions and setup amd sticky tires you can mask alot of problems.....

But they still have their limitations. Yes i have had a car with non lsd and lsd set up, and the difference was night and day. It was rear wheel drive, not fwd so no i havent had that experience. But having two wheels put power to the ground is better than one in any universe.

and congrats on the 350 hp car with no lsd *golf clap*! Now throw an lsd on their and actually put the power to the ground where you don't have to limit the cars potential to take off or get around a corner!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec Tusukuba Red
    Exterior: M&S Carart Type D, BBM lip spoiler, SuperLux, Varrstoen 1.1.2, VIS CF Fog Bezels, Senomia CF Rear Defusser, VIS AMS CF Hood
    Performance: Custom Intake, Injen Cat Back Exhaust, BR Downpipe & O2 housing (1 piece), Megan Racing Coils, Forge BOV, AEM FMIC, BTRcc Reflash (Race Tune), Uniq Performance Strut Brace
    Dyno 6/8/13 - 244 hp, 291 ft lb (Dynojet 105 F ambient air) - Base Line - 191 hp, 210 ft lb (Dynojet 78 F ambient air)

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements