Veloster Forum banner

Open Diff or LSD?

Tags
diff lsd open
38K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  RPW00Mirage 
#1 ·
Please tell me we have an LSD

#48 ·
Actually "torque vectoring" is the task accomplished. Why some have decided to go with it as an official nomenclature is beyond me. The same basic task is accomplished with E-Diffs. Where an LSD seeks neutral torque output for the wheels, the more advances systems will seek the wheel with the most traction. The break down of the phrase is still correct with what I had stated.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#49 ·
Sigh...

Torque vectoring is the ability to send MORE power to the outside wheel when BOTH sets of tires are in contact with the ground. It is a very complicated, and EXPENSIVE way to ease turning into a corner. When the outside wheels receive more power, or turns faster than the inside wheel, while both wheel has full traction, the car naturally turns into the direction of travel in a middle of a turn. Hence the term torque vectoring, it is physically altering the torque split to change the vector of travel. Very, VERY complicated stuff.

Limited slip differentials, are not nearly as complicated. They send power to the wheel that is NOT slipping, as opposed to having the ability to spend power to the OUTSIDE wheel when both wheels have traction (although, in the case of a limited slip, it is most likely the OUTSIDE wheel that's not slipping). A HUGE, huge difference. e-Diffs on BMWs (and some other higher end vehicles) work by braking the inside wheel that's slipping to prevent power being sent to the slipping wheel in an open diff environment. I would be VERY surprised if the Veloster and Veloster turbo didn't already have this ability, since it is commonplace in most modern (re: 2005 and later) stability control algorithms (braking on the individual wheel to reduce wheel-spin).

Torque vectoring is NOTHING like a limited slip. It is the next logical evolution in limited slip technology. Saying BMW's open diff with e-LSD capabilities is torque vectoring, is like saying that a car that goes all 4 wheels off the ground as it crest over the hill is equal to FLYING. Believe you me, I've been a BMW fanboi for nearly 30 years (ever since the E30 came out). What BMW puts in their non-M cars is NOT torque vectoring.

#50 ·
Torque : - 1. force producing rotation

Vector : a. A quantity, such as velocity, completely specified by a magnitude and a direction.

You can play your BMW fanboy card all you want. Ill stick with my in Grand Am and custom race car building background. You're reading way to much into the name. It's not that important.

/pissingmatch

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#51 ·
The hack has torque vectoring and electronic diff control well explained and he's probably correct in their applications with BMWs. However I'm not sure torque vectoring is that complex or that expensive when Ford have used it on a range of their Focus turbo-diesel models, which are not expensive cars by any means (cheaper than a Veloster Turbo). The Veloster is supposed to have traction control according the brochure I read at the dealer yesterday, but mine did spin the left front wheel when I attempted a spirited take-off in the wet.

#55 ·
In Australia we have a Ford model G6ETurbo it's a single spinner it has 270kw stock we also have a Ford XR6Turbo same motor 270kw but it has a LSD they both have 538nm torque. G6ETurbo 0-100 5 sec flat 1/4 mile 12.9 Ford XR6Turbo 0-100 5.1 1/4 mile 13.1. I owned the G6ETurbo great straight but around a bend it would fry the inside tyres everytime. Also I had Pedders coilovers and sticky sticky tyres. Just my little say. But in Australia the VTs suspension has a different tune and I love the little bugger.

#60 ·
just wanted to say...

now that i've got better suspension, a rear bar, and slicks that an LSD is far from optional. it needs to be standard on this car in any competition element. even with the non-turbo, i'm getting TONS of inside tire wheel spin. my next venture will be stiffer springs and shocks to counteract, but the car will truly never shine without a proper LSD.

this is coming from a regionally competitive autocross driver with LOTs of trophies.

Reactions: BluMeanie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.