NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

     
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By GreyGhost12
  • 3 Post By dianebrat
  • 1 Post By only1db

Thread: GDI turbo engine recall

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    26

    GDI turbo engine recall

    I bought my VT finally last Thursday. I ordered it about a month ago. After about 2.5 weeks the car came in but the dealer informed me that 100 VT's had a major engine recall. They didn't say much except that it made a lot of noise, and Hyundai would not allow the dealer to fix. They wanted the engine back for diagnostics so they sent a brand new engine which had to be swapped before the I bought the car. Luckily the lead mechanic did the swap. He was trained in Korea to work on the new models. I will say he did an excellent job and the car runs great. Anyone else had this issue or heard of anyone that did? I'm just trying to see if anyone on here has had the same problem.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Turbonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    200
    You sure they didn't blow up the engine before they gave it to you and came up with a bogus story? How many miles on the odometer? just saying.. i'm a skeptical person by nature.

  4. #3
    Senior Member elecblue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newburgh, ny
    Posts
    881
    must be nice .. i ordered mine back in september it was shipped from the factory oct 11th and I still dont have mine ......

  5. #4
    Senior Member Boots Ylectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Roselle IL
    Posts
    298
    I haven't heard anything like that. What dealership did you go to? I noticed you're local.
    2013 Veloster Turbo - Boston Red - Matte Black Vinyl Graphics
    twitter.com/Boots_Ylectric
    Instagram - Boots_Ylectric
    Get high on rocks - adventuresinclimbing.org

  6. #5
    Senior Member dianebrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Boston'ish
    Posts
    2,643
    [mod tiara]
    As much as I feel the Engine forum was a good choice, I think we'll get more traction out of the discussion up in Turbo Tech so I've moved it there.
    [/mod tiara]

    However this is the first anyone has posted about this issue, and there's frequent confusion on phrases such as Recall, Campaign, etc, and all have very specific meanings in the automotive/dealer/mfr world.
    off to the the dark side

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    26
    Yes, the dealer informed me it is a recall. 100 VT's owners will get letters saying the car needs to come in for a swap. Hyundai wants the engines for diagnostics. I can be a skeptic as well, however they showed me some paperwork, and the recall seems legit. Luckily, they did the swap before I took delivery of the car. They mentioned most of the owners who have an engine from the recall list will have to bring them in and since the engines have to be ordered, they may be out of a car for a couple of weeks.

  8. #7
    Super Moderator GreyGhost12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northeastern NY
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    must be nice .. i ordered mine back in september it was shipped from the factory oct 11th and I still dont have mine ......
    Hmmmm, interesting... I didn't know you could order a Hyundai... It's call dealer allocation...
    Darren likes this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member jrhartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    Hmmmm, interesting... I didn't know you could order a Hyundai... It's call dealer allocation...
    Winner!


    Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    2013 Veloster Turbo 6spd MT - Ultimate edition: Turbosocks FMIC, Solo Performance Catback, HKS Style BOV, 3" Turbosocks CAI, 18x8.5" Enkei Kojins ..BTRcc dyno tune coming August 17th !!!

  10. #9
    Senior Member elecblue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newburgh, ny
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    Hmmmm, interesting... I didn't know you could order a Hyundai... It's call dealer allocation...
    yea the car that is supposed to be mine that was sent out under the dealer preference (that i've put money down on with all my specs and is the exact car that I want) was shipped from korea oct 11th... was told by chuck it usually take 1-1.5 months to get it to the dealers in the tri state area.. so it's been allocated to the dealership for a while now.. and has apparently disappeared. 3 other dealerships have put in allocations after I did mine and they have all gotten their cars in before mine the dealership I've gone with has a substantial amount of velosters and move them fast. so thanks for the attempted smart assery

  11. #10
    MTD
    MTD is offline
    Senior Member MTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ON, CAN
    Posts
    3,907
    Story sounds fishy from the dealer. Nothing on the US or Canadian service websites and nothing from any dealers either. 100 VTs with missing engines or swapped engines wouldnt go unnoticed. Especially consider that there probably isnt much more then 100 for sale lol.
    '13 VT

  12. #11
    Member Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanVT View Post
    they may be out of a car for a couple of weeks.
    BS they better have a Courtesy car ready and I want a Genesis!
    Concerned? Call Hyundai Consumer Relations 1-800-633-5151

  13. #12
    Super Moderator GreyGhost12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northeastern NY
    Posts
    2,759
    Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    yea the car that is supposed to be mine that was sent out under the dealer preference (that i've put money down on with all my specs and is the exact car that I want) was shipped from korea oct 11th... was told by chuck it usually take 1-1.5 months to get it to the dealers in the tri state area.. so it's been allocated to the dealership for a while now.. and has apparently disappeared. 3 other dealerships have put in allocations after I did mine and they have all gotten their cars in before mine the dealership I've gone with has a substantial amount of velosters and move them fast. so thanks for the attempted smart assery
    I wasn't attemptying to be a smart-@$$. I'm just sayin'. We can't order Hyundai's yet. They (I think Dezoris said this too) claim at some point perhaps next year that we might be able to, but not now. I too went through a bunch of BS from the local dealer with them finding and supposedly they had 3 different Tech pack NAV's allocated to them. One of each of the 3 were soppoded to be for me last year at this same time. All 3 fell through because they were already sold before getting to the dealership... BS on that!!

    So I searched out of state, found one that was allocated to a dealership in Maine and ended up getting that one. I got my $1000 down back from the local dealer and ended up getting the Tech pack V from Maine for -$1k under the local dealer. So I ended up getting a better deal in the end. But, I couldn't or didn't order it.

  14. #13
    Senior Member elecblue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newburgh, ny
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    I wasn't attemptying to be a smart-@$$. I'm just sayin'. We can't order Hyundai's yet. They (I think Dezoris said this too) claim at some point perhaps next year that we might be able to, but not now. I too went through a bunch of BS from the local dealer with them finding and supposedly they had 3 different Tech pack NAV's allocated to them. One of each of the 3 were soppoded to be for me last year at this same time. All 3 fell through because they were already sold before getting to the dealership... BS on that!!

    So I searched out of state, found one that was allocated to a dealership in Maine and ended up getting that one. I got my $1000 down back from the local dealer and ended up getting the Tech pack V from Maine for -$1k under the local dealer. So I ended up getting a better deal in the end. But, I couldn't or didn't order it.


    whelp i'm just going based on what chuck showed me man no matter though. I found the car I want at a dealership 30 mins from me.. if all goes well i'll be getting it this week

  15. #14
    Senior Member theanimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    whelp i'm just going based on what chuck showed me man no matter though. I found the car I want at a dealership 30 mins from me.. if all goes well i'll be getting it this week
    This is pure speculation as I was here with a whole other slew of folks waiting for the arrival of the VT's. If I recall, there really wasn't any dealership allocation available for the vast majority of the first VT's coming to the US. To be honest, sounds like the dealer really wanted your money so they said they could allocate it when they really couldn't yet. The reason that requested allocation after you got theirs already is probably because it was later in the VT arrival stages and allocations were actually occuring. As for the first many VT's coming over, I'm pretty sure it didn't matter what the dealership wanted or requested, they got what they got.

  16. #15
    Senior Member elecblue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newburgh, ny
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by theanimal View Post
    This is pure speculation as I was here with a whole other slew of folks waiting for the arrival of the VT's. If I recall, there really wasn't any dealership allocation available for the vast majority of the first VT's coming to the US. To be honest, sounds like the dealer really wanted your money so they said they could allocate it when they really couldn't yet. The reason that requested allocation after you got theirs already is probably because it was later in the VT arrival stages and allocations were actually occuring. As for the first many VT's coming over, I'm pretty sure it didn't matter what the dealership wanted or requested, they got what they got.
    ... the allocation was shown to me by chuck.... the shipping invoice..


    this is what I got from chuck when i gave him the vin

    Name:  car.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  558.2 KB

    so the car was allocated to the dealer I ordered it from .. with the exact things I asked for ... thank you come again
    Last edited by elecblue06; 12-10-2012 at 03:22 PM.

  17. #16
    Senior Member dianebrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Boston'ish
    Posts
    2,643
    [thread drift alert] plenty of threads out there to talk about allocation and the mysteries within, this thread really isn't the place for it [/thread drift alert]

    But I think we can say that so far no one has confirmation of any magical 100 car engine-based recall.
    MTD, texascat2 and Darren like this.
    off to the the dark side

  18. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arkansas (displaced from Alaska)
    Posts
    34
    Hey I ordered my Turbo Veloster!!! The dealership allocated it but I got what I ordered!!! Realistically I hate the way cars are sold today. I liked it when I could go in and select from 12 different colors, 4 tranny's (auto, manual on column or floor). Lastly you got to sit down and decide which of the 7 or so motors you might want to go with the package. You could also delete heater and radio. It was an awesome time for buying cars. YES I'm old as dirt and no I did not pull chocks for the Wright Brothers. Sorry I think I just added to the drift...my apologies. No recall here...yet...I hope
    Last edited by TurboVark; 12-10-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    ORANGE CRUSH: 2013 Vitamin C Ultimate Turbo Veloster 6MT

  19. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    26
    I don't really know all of the details, but the recall is legit. My stepfather is finance manager at a lexus dealer in north suburbs. He has a good buddy that is the fleet manager where I bought my car. They had a real hard time finding it. I went to other dealers and was told that is was impossible to get a blue VT without the tech package. I wanted to write a check for the car, but couldn't afford paying for the ultimate. These guys had a vitamin c VT in the lot, but it had tech package. They put out some kind of order/allocation/request form of some type for the car with the specs I wanted. When it came in and was going through the PDI, the engine was louder than it was supposed to be. They checked the VIN and it was one of 100 cars effected by this. They had paperwork to verify this. Hyundai insists that all motors are swapped and sent back to them for diagnostic testing. Nonetheless, a motor was shipped promptly and installed quickly. I'm very satisfied and have had a grin for the 300 or so miles I've put on it. If I can find out more information from the dealer when I bring it in in a couple weeks for oil change I'll be sure to let you all know.

  20. #19
    Super Moderator only1db's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stroudsburg Area, pa
    Posts
    3,324
    THERE IS NO RECALL SHOWING ON HMASERVICE.COM....I call BS unless its an UNOFFICIAL...hyundai techline called it back, but there is NO official campaign for motors for the turbo version.


    the only thing is a reprogram for the newer 2013 NON turbo's....TSB#12-01-043
    dianebrat likes this.
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

    AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

    "Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

  21. #20
    Junior Member viaus volester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    buffalo/hamburg,N,Y,
    Posts
    17

    recall????

    hope not we just picked up our silver vt two weeks ago for my wife so far so good ,,only 23mpg on first tank of gas ,,but i know she has a heavy foot, loaded with all pkgs,, and a six speed auto i love the paddle shifters ,and ,,,cant wait till there is an aftermarket grill for it ,, and mabe a tweek for the turbo to give a little more hp? we love the car get many the ,,hey what is that ,,its a cool lookind car,,,,,,,PS I HAVE BEEN .SELLING TO DEALERSHIPS FOREVER .,,SOME AFTERMARKET PRODUCTS, ,, AND COULD NOT ORDER ONE ,,THEY GET WHAT THEY GET,, BUT MOST DEALERS WILL DEALERTRADE WITHEACHOTHER, WE GOT OURS IN THREE DAYS AFTER THEY FOUND ONE TO TRADE FOR,,

  22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. New V Turbo Engine Knock
    By gzchris in forum Hyundai Veloster Engine and Transmission
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 12:47 AM
  2. Is the Hyundai Accent ENgine really gonna be that reliable with a Turbo bolted on?
    By IceCold in forum Hyundai Veloster Turbo Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
  3. Check Engine Light, Engine Control System
    By valence28 in forum Hyundai Veloster Engine and Transmission
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
  4. Turbo Engine General
    By timo in forum Hyundai Veloster Turbo Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 02:02 AM
  5. Safety Recall
    By Lollie in forum Hyundai Veloster Issues, TSBs and Recalls
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2