NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Agressive Cruise Control

Angry Agressive Cruise Control

For some reason I thought I already posted this - but apparently did not hit send .. anyway ..

One thing I wanna bring up about my V is the uneccesarily agressive cruise control that changes down gears when it really shouldn't.

Cruising the Eastern Fwy each day sitting around 100km/h - it will shift down to 5th on even the slightest incline each and every time at the same locations - whereas if I just sit with my foot lightly on the pedal it soaks up the variations without changing down. Does pretty much the same whether in D or S mode.

Its annoying - not least for the uncessary strain on the engine & gearbox.

Anyone else found this - or found a way around it ?
    2011 Sunflower Veloster Plus DCT
    "Averaging 6 headturns a day ..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I actually find the CC is great on our V+ Stay almost at the same speed all the time even on a slight hilly roads
    Ricky-D likes this.
    2012 SF V+ DCT
    ~ It looks faster than it is, but it looks more expensive than it actually is as well ~

Should have bought the manual!! It does as its told when its told!! LOL. But in all seriousness, 6th gear is just for cruising along flat highways for fuel consumption, any incline should make it drop back a gear to stop the engine from straining.
    clodan likes this.

^^+1

Yea. Took my manual v in the somewhat mountain area (I-65 through west Virginia and Virginia are way worst) on I-75 in northern Tennessee. And I tried to use cruise in 6th ummmmmm no. Didn't happen. Had to use 5th and even then some grades it lost a few mph.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

I have my V+ manual, I find generally on slight hills the car handles the uphill section really well and is able to maintain its speed, on larger hills it will not cope at all and it is manual shifting during this time. On a slightly off topic note, I found that once the light comes on re fuel, you cannot use cruise control - dont know if this is the same for the Auto, but it makes some sense i.e. you have to concentrate and consider refueling before you run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Age.R View Post
    For some reason I thought I already posted this - but apparently did not hit send .. anyway ..

One thing I wanna bring up about my V is the uneccesarily agressive cruise control that changes down gears when it really shouldn't.

Cruising the Eastern Fwy each day sitting around 100km/h - it will shift down to 5th on even the slightest incline each and every time at the same locations - whereas if I just sit with my foot lightly on the pedal it soaks up the variations without changing down. Does pretty much the same whether in D or S mode.

Its annoying - not least for the uncessary strain on the engine & gearbox.

Anyone else found this - or found a way around it ?
    I have found the same with my V sport auto in cruise mode. On a fairly flat motorway (M3 Winchester to London) the cruise sticks in 5th and drops to 4th (5000 rpm) on the slightest incline. Switch cruise off and the car sits happily in 6th (under 3000 rpm). Strange...... I've requested an explanation from Hyundai UK... nothing yet!

Mine's a manual, so obviously doesn't kick back for hills in cruise control, but both the wife's new X3 and my Statesman would drop down for hills - in the Statesman manual it explained 'normal', 'performance' and 'cruise control' in one section - cruise control was halfway between normal & performance, not as 'aggressive' as the performance mode, but it would shift earlier when in cruise control than it would in normal, to keep the car 'smooth'. As humans we can see the incline in the road, and give it more boot when needed, cruise control can't do that, so shifts earlier, in case. It was noted that fuel economy does suffer slightly when using cruise control because of that. I'd suggest the shift pattern for the Veloster is similar.

The X3 is a diesel 8 speed auto M-sport, there are marked differences between 'economy', 'comfort' and 'sport' - you can use cruise control in any mode, and it can shift up or down up to five gears in one shift to put the revs where it wants them. When using the paddles I frequently go down at least three gears to get some compression going into corners - but boy it's a fun drive in full sport mode. It, too, 'cruises' in 8th and downshifts as soon as it sense a speed drop - it also goes down for compression and adds drag to the drivetrain to hold your cruise speed on downhill slopes.
    Manual Veloster SR Turbo in Marmalade

Switching into economy mode will attend that changing much better and more like you think it should be.

Still however it will still shift occasionally but not too much.

That's my observation on the CC and economy mode.

Oh yeah, the turbo prolly makes a diff.....
    Last edited by Ricky-D; 02-17-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    2013 IRONMAN SILVER VT-AT ULTIMATE

My previous car (Astra 2.2 automatic) was a shocker. Cruise control was plus or minus 1 km/h! My Veloster turbo automatic has a fantastic cruise control with some leeway in speed, and I've had it tear up steep hills on backroads in 6th with cruise control (and airconditioning on with 3 adult passengers). I suspect if the NA Veloster has problems it's down to the relatively poor power to weight ratio.

My Astra also downchanged on downhill runs in certain circumstances, cruise control on or off (ít sensed horizontal orientation), and it sometimes downchanged downhill under braking. Unfortunately with a 4-speed a downchange was quite aggressive, and there were times I was reluctant to touch the brakes even lightly because of that. You almost got whiplash!

No issues with cruise control at all for me. In fact very pleased with it. One of the easiest to use and always very smooth and appropriate with speed control and gear selection. Perhaps settings can be changed and there is a variance between vehicles.
    Marmalade Veloster Turbo auto - PDW Oasis black wheels 18x8, Pirelli Cinturato tyres 225/40R18
    My other cars:
    Current road and track toy: Mitsubishi EVO 7 GTA
    Under construction: Home built Lotus 7 Clubman replica
    My previous weekend toys: HSV Clubsport VY II R8, Jaguar XKR coupe (supercharged V8), Jaguar E-Type V12, Jaguar XJC V12

Can't you manually shift gears in the auto? Just lock it in 6th manually then set the cruise
    Evan L likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FFEEkY View Post
    Can't you manually shift gears in the auto? Just lock it in 6th manually then set the cruise
    Yeah did that on the run into town today. As you say using the paddles it sits in sixth all the way with the cruise set.

if you just use the paddles while its still in D, it will go back to full auto in about a minute i believe, just slap the shifter over, thats what its for!
    i never use the paddles, id rather use the shifter, and even more id rather swap in a Genesis V6 and 6 speed like in Forza

Normally I overtake by manually selecting 5th as described, and locking out any chances of the automatic downchanging to 4th. Once you put the selecter to sports mode you can then downchange or upchange using the selector or the paddles, and either way it will stay in the gear you select.

I've had no problem with cruise on my mt V.
    Or Jeep patriot has cruise with a CVT. Love it. Very smooth changes when more torque is needed up hill and "down shift" on down hill stretches to control speed.
    The VT with the manual likely increases boost to maintain speed on hills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

No that's not right. When I shift to semi auto /sport and use the paddles to top gear, set the cruise and she sits there with no problem despite the slight inclines. In full auto, as discussed earlier, the cruise drops one or two gears increasing the revs from 3000 to 5000. That is on the same stretch of road under the same conditions. The answer seems to be just use the full auto for town and shift to semi auto when using cruise.

this is good to know. thanks guys. i guess if my cruise starts playing up- i will be looking to use the paddles. super helpful community as usual

The veloster breakes every rule about cars from less fancy badges, and thats why we love it!!

But the trick with the paddles is to put the gearbox in sports mode and then manually change to the gear you want (this is for a turbo). If you just use the paddles it will return to full-auto after about 20 seconds. If you just use sports mode without manually selecting the gear you want it will have a greater propensity to downchange (although I haven't used sports mode 'cause the turbo has plenty of performance in ordinary mode). It's quite simple and if you want to revert to full automatic like when approaching a town, then slip it out of sports mode and it drops straight into 'D'.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrmale View Post
    But the trick with the paddles is to put the gearbox in sports mode and then manually change to the gear you want (this is for a turbo). If you just use the paddles it will return to full-auto after about 20 seconds. If you just use sports mode without manually selecting the gear you want it will have a greater propensity to downchange (although I haven't used sports mode 'cause the turbo has plenty of performance in ordinary mode). It's quite simple and if you want to revert to full automatic like when approaching a town, then slip it out of sports mode and it drops straight into 'D'.
    No. It's not a NA vs Turbo thing. In sport mode the car will Cruise in sixth. In auto the car will aggressively change down one or two cogs. Same road; same conditions; same car; same engine; different use of the gear box - software issue??

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements