NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sat Nav question - V+

Sat Nav question - V+

Reading recent posts and documents from elsewhere on the Net, I am confused to whether the Sat Nav system in the V+ reads street names, directions etc. Oldsalts posts indicated not, (or is it just we can't add another voice?). I am sure I have seen US vids of directions been read out and the manual I found online indicated this was possible (maybe US manual and thus US thing only). Can any confirm if any directions are read out or not on the Aus V+?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I have a turbo and my sat nav reads directions and street names, and it functions similarly to the Garmin I used on my previous car. There are two relevant buttons to the right of the touch screen. Map displays a GPS map. Navigation allows you to programme a route and this is when the voice is activated. Once you set your route, pressing map will show you the GPS map along with directions and so on. I haven't tried to change the voice. One thing that is necessary is after you arrive at your destination you must cancel the route or programme another route, or else it will keep trying to navigate back to that destination until the end of time.

On the touch screen you can display AM/FM, Media and other functions while navigating and then return to map if you wish, and while the map is not displayed you still get the audio directions. Over the top you can temporarily overlay clock and temperature, but the Veloster is strange in that clock and temperature isn't displayed until you press the button to the right of the cd slot. Some functions like AM/FM (radio) do display time however.

Hearing directions but not street names ... how did you enable that cbrmale?

Quote Originally Posted by cbrmale View Post
    I have a turbo and my sat nav reads directions and street names,
    Are you sure about that?

Just to clarify, it tells you "turn left in 20 metres into Veloster Street"

Mine doesn't have the ability to say the streets.

I have been playing with the innards of IGO8 for a few years and thought I knew a bit about programing and tweaking.

If I only had access to the system I have the files to get it working.
    My forum, if you are Ex or Current Australian ADF http://www.tri-service.org/

Quote Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
    Are you sure about that?

Just to clarify, it tells you "turn left in 20 metres into Veloster Street"

Mine doesn't have the ability to say the streets.

I have been playing with the innards of IGO8 for a few years and thought I knew a bit about programing and tweaking.

If I only had access to the system I have the files to get it working.
    Yes, mine says turn left in twenty metres into Veloster Street.

there is a street named veloster!!??!? how cool is that
    oldsalt likes this.

The veloster breakes every rule about cars from less fancy badges, and thats why we love it!!

^^^
    i think he's using that as an example Nujee ... durrhh lol

If you open your navi program.

Go to settings

Open Sounds

Select voices

I have two Aussie voices, Brandon and Jennifer and a few UK voices.

Check if there is a notation next to each voice, mine all state "STREET NAMES NOT ANNOUNCED".

cbrmale, what are the voices you have listed in your unit, I would be very interested to know.

Just to show exactly what the voices are, I took a photo of them.

You will note that all voices state Street Names Not Announced.

Does anyone else have the street names being announced?

I have a couple of other problems with the Navi System.

1/. In the regional setting, you can select Auto Time Zone or manually set it yourself.

For some reason my clock often changes times, it's either the right time or more than often a half hour behind.

Thinking I would manually set the zone, I found that the settings are only on the hour eg: GMT 10.00 and not half an hour eg: GMT +10.5hrs

My zone is +9.5 hours and it's impossible to set as half hours are not available.

2/. The Place Markers (POI's) are mostly American that are not applicable to Australia.

The above is easily fixed if we could use the Navi Extras Toolbox https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/downloads

It states on the NaviExtras web site that Huyundai is supported, however, that may only be in the USA.

Anyone game to try using the toolbox

Last edited by oldsalt; 12-04-2012 at 12:18 AM.

My local dealer had arranged for me to meet their Hyundai Rep this morning.

Regarding the manual time zone, Hyundai are aware that half hours can't be set and are working on a upgrade.

Neither the rep or Hyundai were aware that the Place Markers (points of Interest) were mainly American. As the unwanted place markers take up memory, I asked for the upgrade to remove them and include only Australian ones that are freely available online.

The rep was also not aware that the navi unit did not speak street names, I asked that the Aussie Karen voice be included as she speaks street names.

I also asked for the ability to add themes and skins to the navi program.

The rep said he was going to look into the above and get back to me next Monday?
    Wello Fellow likes this.

My VT has a female Australian voice as standard (don't know who - it was just like that). It gives me directions and street names. It has Australian POIs - including speed cameras and safety alerts. I have never touched any of the settings - worked like that out of the box (car bought 6 weeks ago). The time offset issue is not an issue for Canberra but could be when I travel.

My VT has a female Australian voice as standard (don't know who - it was just like that). It gives me directions and street names. It has Australian POIs - including speed cameras and safety alerts. I have never touched any of the settings - worked like that out of the box (car bought 6 weeks ago). The time offset issue is not an issue for Canberra but could be when I travel.
    Could you please take a photo of the voices as I have done above and post them on here, I would like to show it to the Hyundai Rep.

It's very strange that you have streets announced when nobody else does?

I'm not taking any photos as I don't have the time (I'm publicising my most recent published novel and that takes time). I also have a lot of Christmas functions happening and a few other things. Maybe it's because the car is newer and it has upgraded maps and pois (it has a build date of 09/12). Or maybe it's because it's a turbo, although I thought the interior gizmos were the same between the turbo and the +.

I'm not taking any photos as I don't have the time (I'm publicising my most recent published novel and that takes time). I also have a lot of Christmas functions happening and a few other things. Maybe it's because the car is newer and it has upgraded maps and pois (it has a build date of 09/12). Or maybe it's because it's a turbo, although I thought the interior gizmos were the same between the turbo and the +.
    My vehicle has a later build date than you 10/12.

Until I see a photo of the voices you have, I will assume that you don't have the street names announced.
    VelosterGC likes this.

No vocal street names on my turbo. Even had the head unit replaced not long ago because nav **** itself; nothing.

Thanks for all the information guys. I am torn between saving a few bucks and going with the FS or getting the FS2 model with the Sat Nav system. I really like the thought of having a built in Nav system rather mounting my phone and running cables, however, it appears my phone's Nav system is far better than the system in the FS2. Of course, having a rear wiper on the FS2 is appealing. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

My thoughts are, if we all put pressure on Hyundai by sending emails to Customer care, they may well update the firmware to include the voices we want.

I know that there will soon be an update to fix the manual time zone problem, it's a nothing thing to add a few files to allow streets to be announced.

If nobody complains they will do nothing.

So wbdraws, may I suggest that you contact Hyundai and tell them you are interested in a V, however, the navi system is putting you off.

customercare@hyundai.com.au

Can we also ask them if they can get the GPS to display the current speed of the car?

They won't display the current speed on the gps as it shows how inaccurate the speedo is (about 6 km/h at 110). I used my old gps unit to record various speed differences and actual revs at my usual cruising speeds, and I drive to these differences (eg to Moss Vale on Tuesday I cruised it at 123 which is an actual speed of 117-118). My speedo is 5 out at 80, and 6 out at 100 - 120. I do the same thing with my motorcycle where I don't always use my GPS - so I cruise at an adjusted speed or at specific engine revs (actual 100 is 3,900 rpm; 110 is 4,100 to 4,200 rpm, 120 is 4,400 rpm).

Quote Originally Posted by Palladium View Post
    Can we also ask them if they can get the GPS to display the current speed of the car?
    Yes, that's one of the things they can easily do.

The girl from the dealership went sick and hasn't sent of the list to the rep reminding him to action the complaints. As soon as I hear anything back from the rep I will post it here.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements