NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exhaust Residue

Exhaust Residue

First real complaint about this car so far... WTF is up with all the black crap all over the back of my white car!?!?!? It won't come off in a laser wash so I have to wash the entire back end every other day if I don't want it to look like a filthy hose beast. I can understand and handle dirty exhaust tips, but this is unacceptable. At least it's not a diesel... Could you imagine?

Deep breath.... OK... What can be done to curb this nonsense? I don't want to restrict the air flow and I don't want to remove the muffler. Will probably install a new cat back at some point in time but that won't fix the problem. I can't imagine how much of this stuff must be built up in the muffler... You would think that would cause air flow restriction in and of itself.... Ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Drew
    Elite White Standard, M/T

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

It's call DI and weird airflow around the tail of our V's. Sadly enough, get used to it already. There are several threads on this...

The nature of the beast, literally. You could drive slower and keep rpms down to reduce the amount of residue but you can't prevent it completely (at least not that I know of).
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

it is the airflow, I live in colorado and my VT rear window fogs on the outside every time i hit the gas no matter how fast i am going. i wanted a white real bad but now i am glad I got a red one

premium gasoline is the answer..

Clay bar will remove it then a good wax will seal it to help eliminate it sticking so much
    2013 elite white vt / ultimate /mt

Buy a black car

Quote Originally Posted by joshjas View Post
    premium gasoline is the answer..
    I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with this as an answer. 93 octane may help to reduce the carbon excrement from the exhaust but it will not cure it.

Don't need a clay bar to remove... Just a damp micro fiber towel or soap during a wash.

I run premium gas at all time so that is definitely not the answer.

I think the air flow behind the car is funky. I have noticed the rear window fogs when it's cold also. The residue is blowing back on the car instead of just on the road or out into the air as normal. You would think this would affect emissions or something... May just have to live with it I guess...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Drew
    Elite White Standard, M/T

Quote Originally Posted by Cedwards View Post
    Buy a black car
    ...and I'm thankful for this haha. Anyway yes I can get away with it but still dust off my car everyday at the end of the day with California duster. Works like a charm keeps it shiny the next day
    Follow me on IG @_s1rhc

Just a side note with removing the carbon off the back of your V... Carbon is VERY hard and will scratch you paint VERY easily if not removed "gently". So be sure to use plenty of soap to help float it away rather than drive it into the paint.

Yes, the airflow around the back of the car goes up and swirly rather than down and around. As has been stated, upon the initial drive of the car below freezing air temps the rear window does fog up from the outside. This is something I've never experienced in any other vehicle before my V. On the same note, when the leaves were falling and were all over the road I recall having several times having dancing leaves above my rear wiper. I expected them to just blow off but they danced and swirled and danced for several miles.

In fact, any time when I go for a spirited drive with just the roof all the way open I smell exhaust fumes. To me this is something Hyundai needs to address. But I doubt they will. They will tell me I have a leak in my cat-back exhaust... But interestingly enough the exhaust odor was present when the car was bone stock and non-molested in anyway.

I made parts I thought would help control soot deposition and much to my dismay they failed.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements