NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Teaser exhaust prototype

yes, small details are what makes the difference when you are trying to squeeze every bit of horsepower out of an engine. comparing the two in that regard is acceptable (as can be seen in differing qualities of systems build by different manufactuers), but fundamentally they are quite different. n/a exhaust systems include a lot more science and engineering and should include a certain degree of calculated back pressure (among other things to consider), where turbo exhaust systems should maximize flow, period. back pressure is the enemy of a turbo.

aaron

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

You two guys want to get a room.
    You have completely hijacked the thread.
    MTD - it looks good.
    2012 Base Vit C
    Full Kustom F100 in my avitar
    37 Ford Hot Rod
    65 Ranchero mild Kustom
    49 Pontiac mild Kustom fastback

MTD
    Thanks

The builder of this exhaust is very competent and I fully trust his skills and knowledge. Its not a sweatshop in Taiwan building it lol.

Sure there may be better or more effecient ways of building an exhaust, but Im not about to spend $1500 to do it. Any exhaust from a company like Magnaflow, Borla, etc that is selling an over the counter exhaust certainly isnt using a high-tech custom fabrication process where every hp counts. Magnaflow still uses crudy c-clamps on their joints.

Quality, fit and finish, sound and decent dyno gains are what interests me. +/- a hp here and there wont matter to most at an affordable price.

As a review, in just a few days the sound has really opened up nicely. Its just slightly louder then stock around town and at idle. On the throttle it has a nice deep tone, noticeably louder then stock, but not overly so. Zero drone in the interior at all. Mid-range power 3500-5000 is much improved. The car really pulls now.
    '13 VT

Very nice! May I ask who/where to get such an exhaust done?
    Is this person part of 10fintec ?
    Vitamin C Turbo 6-Sp MT -- Sept.4th/2012: Injen SP1341 CAI / Magnaflow #12866 / Pierce Motorsport 4-Point Front Tiebar Chassis Brace / Eibach Pro-Kit /Koni Yellow / Whiteline Front & Rear Sways / Falken FK453 (225/40/18) / WeatherTech DigitalFit F & R 44342-1-2 & Cargo 40479 / Pending: Front Strut Tower Brace?

MTD
    No, but its similar. Custom fabrication shop. Exhausts, manifolds, intercoolers, etc. They do build and sell over the counter parts. Their Genesis stuff is very, very nice.
    '13 VT

MTD: I'm sorry for jacking your thread. I will personally remove/delete my posts if you so wish.

Again, I'm sorry for going off on a tangent. I'll try to keep my big yapper shut as best as possible.

MTD
    No need at all. The details are interesting and would definitely matter in a custom no holds barred exhaust. This one will be a production version where cost is a consideration. I don't think too many people would pay $1000 for an exhaust never mind $1600. These exhausts are handmade by the shop owner.
    BeXtaRoXta likes this.
    '13 VT

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    MTD: I'm sorry for jacking your thread. I will personally remove/delete my posts if you so wish.

Again, I'm sorry for going off on a tangent. I'll try to keep my big yapper shut as best as possible.
    expressing opinion is how everyone shares and debates knowledge. i think it would be a shame if people didn't speak up when they want to say something.

aaron

Quote Originally Posted by MTD View Post
    I don't think too many people would pay $1000 for an exhaust never mind $1600.

Jun BL seems to think otherwise. I'll be going the same route as you. Go to a good shop and have something welded up custom to get more gains at half the price. Screw a $1200 bolt on.
    2013 Veloster Turbo - Boston Red - Matte Black Vinyl Graphics
    twitter.com/Boots_Ylectric
    Instagram - Boots_Ylectric
    Get high on rocks - adventuresinclimbing.org

Looks nice! do you have a video of inside the cabin, idle, accelerate normal/hard, etc?

And I don't remember seeing anything about how much this custom job would normally run, do you have some sort of estimate on it?

MTD
    Working on some videos this week. I'm also looking for some locals to listen, look and feel the exhaust.

If you're in my area, southern Ontario and have a go pro, I would appreciate the help.

Not sure on the exact price but it will be available directly through the builder.
    '13 VT

^^ I think if you "feel" the exhaust you might comment that "it's hot!"

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    ^^ I think if you "feel" the exhaust you might comment that "it's hot!"
    "Here's your Sign...."
    Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

김치

I dont know If it was mentioned somewhere but a muffler's inlet/outlet is measured on the inside while piping is measured on the oustide diameter. witch makes it hard to put the tail pipe OVER the muffler and not have a big ugly flare on your tailpipe. I understand how that little step hurts the flow but all custom exhausts are made that way
    Keep it gangster.

If you go to specialty cutters/benders they will normally sell every denomination of exhaust tube (misnamed as pipe) in 1/8" increments.

If the pipe needs to be swaged, and you go to a "really good exhaust guy" he can gradually swage it in steps so it will appear to be cone shaped rather than seeing the "big puff" on the end.

But in all reality, can you/we see that part of the exhaust unless you get down on the ground and look up? I don't think so... And to me, function is more important than the actually "look" of the part when you really won't see it anyway.

I guess it's a lot like portwork that is correctly done... Many times it doesn't "look" very well but the airflow doesn't care about the "look" of the port, it cares about the shape, flow and texture.

BTW, not ALL custom exhausts are made this way. My "other vehicle's exhaust" is just one example that isn't.

no not all, some picky peoplelike yourself have it flared out I guess haha. so lets say 99% are made that way ;P
    Keep it gangster.

Quote Originally Posted by velogangster View Post
    no not all, some picky people like yourself have it flared out I guess haha. so lets say 99% are made that way ;P
    That is correct sir. That's why I said 99.X% are made "incorrectly".

please continue to speak up and give opinions...that is what these boards are for!

there was no mud slinging involved...no shame in your game. keep it coming.

mtd it does look good, I do agree that price will take precedence over the ultimate design. Now rhys on his 500whp veloster might have something to say about that though...haha
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

MTD
    Speaking of pricing, I've been looking into a true dual cat back for my Genesis. They range from about $1000 to $2000. I might have to get a part time job lol.
    '13 VT

The way I see it is this: "If" you have it within your capability and the time/price doesn't go up much at all (which it won't if you have it fabricated "my way") then why not go "all-out"? Flow is flow. Restriction to that flow is ALWAYS negative. If you can help encourage flow in the correct direction, even if it's only a slight amount, why not? It is the sum of ALL of the parts in this ICE equation that is of utmost importance. All of these "slight" improvements can and will add up to more than you realize.

If I do something, I do it to the best of MY ability and many times it's different than the "norm" of how many things are done. Many things are done with a "let's cut corners approach". I'm just not that way, I'm sorry.

I have no intention to sling mud or ruffle any feathers here. But in all reality, putting the pipe into the exit muffler is the "quick and easy" approach. While it works, it's just not optimized.

Typically there is a loose fit with the pipe fitting into the muffler. This in itself poses a greater restriction due to there being a large internal "bowl" of where the exhaust flow will be disrupted and cause a restriction to the system.

BTW, I thought all this mythological crap of "back pressure" went away when carburators and incorrectly designed valvetrains went away with the advent of EFI... Backpressure is a BAD thing in any ICE. Purposely having smaller primary pipes with a turbo (preferably tuned length) is a different idea and concept all-together as it spools the turbo up quicker. Having the exhaust after the turbo as large as possible (within reason) is a great thing to flow with a FI application.

Perhaps I should sketch it up so you guys can all get a good visual on all of this and let you decide. I have the ability to think in 3D as I've done it for the last decade. Many/most people can't... So most people can't visualize what is really going on here...

Ok, I think I'm off the soapbox now... I'll try not to trip...

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements