NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID's in SoCal!?!

HID's in SoCal!?!

Has anyone done them yet? I would like to do them. I would gladly pay for help! What I need and what not. I appreciate it! Let me know whats up guys!

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I'm in the same boat, would like to get em but I know nothing about installation and would like to see how they look compared to the regular ones.

I am also on the same boat. I have done it before on my SUV. It is pretty much a simple blot on. With our VT we more likely need to take the front bumper out. Connection of the hardness however should be just straight forward.

I almost bought the kid from diodedynamics but then found out their site is not secured.

Hey guys! I've installed my HID's w/ the relay harness (From Diode Dynamics) myself and it's relatively painless. I can try to explain as best as I can with any questions that you may have. If I have time, I'll try to draw up a diagram and possibly a step-by-step instruction guide as to what needs to be done.. (although I can't guarantee doing this, as I've got my hands full)

For starters, unless you have miniscule hands, the front bumper must be removed for proper installation.

The general tools you'll need are as follows:

(+) 1'' drill bit
    (+) drill
    (+) 10mm & 12 mm socket wrench
    (+) electrical tape
    (+) screwdriver
    (+) blanket (for when you take off your bumper, so that it doesn't scratch on the ground..)

Installation of these HID's are pretty much similar to most cars, with a possible few exceptions. The biggest issue I've had with installing these HID's was finding a proper location for my relay ground wire. It's currently dark right now, but I'll also try to snap a picture of where I grounded my relay wire to 'fix' the passenger blinking during initial start-up. Sorry this post doesn't help much at the moment. Again I'll try my best to be of better help soon...

In the mean time, check out this link:

http://www.diodedynamics.com/service...ion-with-relay
    Last edited by Turbo BP; 11-08-2012 at 02:29 AM.

.:. Marathon Blue
    Veloster Turbo .:.

DD Stage 2
    Interior LEDs / DD 6000K HID / CREE 10W Foglight LED / CREE 7W Reverse LED / MTEC + PIAA Super White Turn Signal Bulb / Luxon Strut Bar / Brenthon Emblem / Injen CAI

i still need HID'S! Anybody willing to make some money?

I received my fog light HID kit today. Low bean 11B 4300k is out of stock and not sure when I can get it.

Taking a quick look I think it is possible to have them installed without the need of taking out the bumper.

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo BP View Post
    Hey guys! I've installed my HID's w/ the relay harness (From Diode Dynamics) myself and it's relatively painless. I can try to explain as best as I can with any questions that you may have. If I have time, I'll try to draw up a diagram and possibly a step-by-step instruction guide as to what needs to be done.. (although I can't guarantee doing this, as I've got my hands full)

For starters, unless you have miniscule hands, the front bumper must be removed for proper installation.

The general tools you'll need are as follows:

(+) 1'' drill bit
    (+) drill
    (+) 10mm & 12 mm socket wrench
    (+) electrical tape
    (+) screwdriver
    (+) blanket (for when you take off your bumper, so that it doesn't scratch on the ground..)

Installation of these HID's are pretty much similar to most cars, with a possible few exceptions. The biggest issue I've had with installing these HID's was finding a proper location for my relay ground wire. It's currently dark right now, but I'll also try to snap a picture of where I grounded my relay wire to 'fix' the passenger blinking during initial start-up. Sorry this post doesn't help much at the moment. Again I'll try my best to be of better help soon...

In the mean time, check out this link:

Standard HID Kit Installation, with relay
    Turbo BP, where did you place balasts and when are we going to see those pics?
    2013 Veloster Turbo MT/Ultimate Package

Enhancements: LED and HID kit from DD, Rally Art mudflaps, 30% tint.

Installing mine this weekend.

F**k. Didn't order it with the relay, and sure enough. HIDs fire up just fine when car's not running. Thought everything went fine, button everything up and was going to go move the car back to my old parking spot, then the left light flickered out, followed by the right. Repeated the process in various sequences, but inevitably the lights flicker out.

Was hoping not to have to install relays but it appears it's inevitable. At least we got pretty proficient at removing the bumper and lights and installing the kit and removing it. I thing we took out the kit and put the OEM lights back in about 20 minutes.

I installed mine today with the relay and so far so good. the fog is a bitch to install. Took me hours just to put the bulbs in and twist and lock. At the end I gave up and removed the rubber ring I suppose for sealing. Arr and I scratch my bumper a bit by doing so.

Last edited by MadaTx; 12-09-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
    F**k. Didn't order it with the relay, and sure enough. HIDs fire up just fine when car's not running. Thought everything went fine, button everything up and was going to go move the car back to my old parking spot, then the left light flickered out, followed by the right. Repeated the process in various sequences, but inevitably the lights flicker out.

Was hoping not to have to install relays but it appears it's inevitable. At least we got pretty proficient at removing the bumper and lights and installing the kit and removing it. I thing we took out the kit and put the OEM lights back in about 20 minutes.
    I installed 8000k HIDs from DD yesterday, they were not too hard to install and they look amazing . Really sorry to hear that your installation didnt go well, couple of people on the forums recommended HID relay harness. Glad I took their advice; $10 extra for a relay harness is worth it when you spend 2+ hours installing HID just to find out that stock wires dont provide enough power for the bulbs .
    Last edited by Ian; 12-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Live and learn, I guess. When I installed HIDs on my '09 Subaru WRX, it couldn't have been more straight forward. Thought ALL newer cars would be like that, especially ones that came with projectors.

When I get HIDs for the '11 Tucson I'll probably buy relays along with it, just in case.

Yup, my Saturn also went straight with the existing hardness and no problem whatsoever. HID uses only 35W instead of 55w. Some cars are just too smart and don't like it. I saw another solution around is to put a resistor on it

Hooked everything up, once the relay is installed the lights stay on when the engine is running. Feels like I've installed a hundred of these already, having install it, take it out, then re-install. Could probably do it in my sleep now.

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
    Hooked everything up, once the relay is installed the lights stay on when the engine is running. Feels like I've installed a hundred of these already, having install it, take it out, then re-install. Could probably do it in my sleep now.
    That's good, glad you got HIDs working without any more problems.
    Funny thing, I just installed 4300k HID with relay harness, from DD, on my GF's 2007 Sonata and when you turn the headlights on, they almost cut the power off to the engine. Not really sure what is causing it. Battery is less than a year old and all of the wires are connected right. No problems with my VT

Quote Originally Posted by MadaTx View Post
    I installed mine today with the relay and so far so good. the fog is a bitch to install. Took me hours just to put the bulbs in and twist and lock. At the end I gave up and removed the rubber ring I suppose for sealing. Arr and I scratch my bumper a bit by doing so.

I noticed on the shot above, there are two distinct "dark" verticals in the pattern. Mine leaves two dark "lines" too but they don't point up. One's at a 15 degree from vertical, the other is close to 30 degree from vertical.

i noticed when installing the HID bulbs, it was quite difficult to turn the bulb in the socket, and they didn't turn until "click" did I not turn them in far enough? Also I noticed the drivers side bulb "shivers" when I go over big bumps.

When I installed mine, many times I thought I have the bulb locked in but when I tested it and pulled the wire, it came lose immediately. You can try it yourself.

Okay, I went down to the local dealership and picked up a new bumper bracket to replace the one I broke on the driver's side (one of the small tabs that hold the bumper in place broke off the last time I removed it). Everything is hooked up, battened down and working as it should. I haven't had a chance to drive it extensively at night but will do so tonight.

Two things I noticed. That vertical dark spot on the beam pattern? It comes from the circuitry on the HID bulb. The dark line that carries the high voltage signals to the tip of the bulb. Again, I noticed that when I tightened down the bulb, the dark spot had rotated to be much closer to the cut-off on the beam pattern instead of vertical. So if you have a dark spot like shown in the picture, and it's nowhere near horizontal, the bulb isn't seated fully. When you turn the bulb socket and the notch that the socket sits is flush with the OEM connector, then it's fully seated (and won't turn any further). I used a channel lock plier and noticed the hard "stop" once the notch is perpendicular with the OEM power connector. Unfortunately, at this point, the dark spot is still about 10º from the cut-off and you'll still see it in the driver's side, but the passenger's side dark spot is covered by the overlapping driver's side beam pattern. I'm "satisfied" at this point and will not tinker more, this is probably due to the projector being designed for halogens (no vertical strip along the bulb to carry wires) rather than projectors. IMO, ideally if the bulb is rotated another 10-15º then the dark spot would disappear behind the projector beam cut-off. But whatever. The light output is significantly higher than OE Halogens so I'm not complaining at this point.

The second thing I noticed, is that there appears to be a output spike or dip when the engine is revved while in gear (but oddly, not while in neutral). And it's not that the front end dips or raises when revved in gear, it appears the intensity of the bulb changes slightly, like there's a voltage dip or spike that the voltage regulators in the ballast can't react to. It's a very small dip, like maybe 5% of output, but it's perceptible enough that I needed to test it out in neutral. I wonder if the Veloster and Veloster Turbo has an alternator that disengages while the engine is revved under load in low gears, resulting in a voltage change at the battery?

Hoping this gets resolved soon. Sent a message to Diode Dynamics already, but hoping someone here may have had similar experience and can offer some suggestions. Need to resolve or else the HID kit is coming out and OEM halogens going back in. Following is description of symptoms as sent to DD support:

When first installed, the HID appears to be in good working order, until the engine is started. Then in about 5 seconds the left (driver's side) headlight rapidly flickers out, immediately followed by the right. Purchased the relay harness as suggested and installed and everything appears to be working again, and when engine is started the lights stay on.

For two days.

Today while driving home in the dark, the lights appeared to work fine for about 10 minutes, then they started to flicker (together). Then they dim but continue to flicker, but never turn completely off like when installed without relay harness. I got sick of the flickering lights and turned them off and drove home sans headlights.

Then I went out to go to dinner, and again, the lights appear to work for about 5-10 minutes and then flicker. Problem seems to only manifest when the engine is running. When engine is off and lights on, they'll stay on indefinitely. Start the engine and in a few minutes they flicker.

Please advise.

This just gets weirder and weirder. Haven't heard back from vendor regarding a fix for my problem, but I did read the various threads on here about adding a capacitor that fixes the problem. All fine and dandy because I just happen to work across the street from a place that carries the capacitor/harness. Picked one up last night, along with a new relay from AutoZone, and since the relay and the harness is still in mostly accessible areas in the front of the car, replacing the relay and installing the capacitor was relatively easy. Fired up the lights, heard the faint click of the relay, lights stayed on after the engine's started, no tell-tale signs of "buzz" from the relay. We're good, right?

Today, I had to drive to a vendor that took about 45 minutes each way, so I decided to try the lights out just to see if they'll stay lit, since the last time the lights stayed lit, they "appear" to be fine for 2 15 minute trips, then a few days later, problem starts. About 2/3rds of the way back from the vendor, I was feeling all good stuck in L.A. traffic, when my tire pressure sensor started flashing. I'm like, great...3 weeks in and I pick up a flat tire. What are the f**king chances? My '00 323Ci picked up a flat on the 2nd day of ownership. My '06 MZ4 Coupe picked up a flat within the first 2 week. My '09 Subaru lasted a little longer, it picked up its first flat about 6 months after I bought it.

And so as I was pulling off the freeway the infotainment system flashed "TPMS system error, communicating with BlueLink for diagnosis." Hm. Car drives fine. Doesn't feel like a flat. Pull into the nearest parking lot, whipped out my trusty Michelin Bib Tire Pressure Gauge, and sure enough. All tires were within 1/2 lbs of where I filled them up at 2 weeks ago. Now I'm pissed. 3 week old car and my TPMS is broken? What are the odds? I turn off the car, wait for about 5 minutes, and then turn it back on and the TPMS continues to flash the error on dash. I decided to drive back to the office and deal with it later, figuring that sometime next week I'll need to drop the car off a the nearest dealership, which is about 5 minutes away.

Then I proceed to turn off the lights, figuring that after 30 minutes of staying lit, they SHOULD be good to go. As I pull up to the next stop light, I took a quick look at the dash.

The TPMS error went away.

I'm now beginning to suspect that the wiring in the system, with the capacitors and relays, and the ballast and whatnot, is emitting some sort of radio interference on the same frequency as the TPMS system. After a while of being unable to communicate with the TPMS, the system wigs out and triggers a fault. Doesn't happen when the light is off. I'm going to see if it happens again on the drive home tonight.

I'm going to have to say, for US Veloster Turbo customers, wait for a while before you upgrade your lights to HIDs. At least wait until all the bugs are worked out. The only thing holding me back from removing the system and sending it back for my $$$ back, is the fact that I'm sick and tired of remove and reinstalling my bumpers, but I'm going to have to do it before the 30 day return period expires.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements