Veloster Forum banner
82K views 406 replies 118 participants last post by  mdm 
#1 ·
So you early adapters have had a few months to get some break in miles on your cars and ease up on the ripping around town a bit.
So I’m wondering what kind of “real world” mileage that people are getting now.
My daily commute is 120 miles with about 80 miles of that on the PA turnpike where speeds need to be at least 75-80 so you don’t get run off the road by trucks.
With my 09 WRX I average 24-25 MPG and it requires premium gas.
I’m nearing 80K on the car so I’ll probably be looking to replace it in the next few months.
While I wouldn’t expect to get the listed 38 MPG with the VT, I was hoping to get in the 30-32 range with the same style of driving that I do now.
But if the real world numbers are lower than that I can’t see a reason to give up 70 horsepower and the benefits that having all wheel drive offers.
So what are you guys getting ???

#3 ·
I once got 42mpg on a 28 mile one way.. all hwy. But when I drove it, I kept the instant MPG meter going on the dashboard and my goal was to keep it as close to 50mpg as possible w/o having people behind me get annoyed.

Now.. mind you I've only had the car for a month (exactly a month today)... and it's only been 600 miles so far... so I still have an occasion or two where I'll wanna peel out or accelerate a bit more than I should.. I get about 29-30 mpg. I haven't reset the average mpg in 2 weeks and it says 29.

funny story... nothing to do w/ this... but my friend at work wants to get a veloster too now.. so he's telling me.. yea.. he's gonna replace the rims when he gets his... and also he's gonna "chip" it... I ask what's that. he says that some guy is going to put a chip in his car to give him 80+ more HP... I laughed when he said that.. he felt insulted..

#4 ·
The dealer set me on my way with a full tank. I knew thew my initial mpg would be lower because of engine break in but I was only getting about 24-26 average and most of it freeway. I drove the tank to almost empty and filled it up in the morning with premium and it was like nite and day same driving habits but I now average 30-34 mpg. I Quite happy with what I'm getting and I only have about 450 miles on the engine so far.

#7 ·
Just took mine on a 350 mile interstate trip (with some traffic jams along the way) and got 37 mpg running at 70-75. My daily commute is 70 miles of 50/50 city highway and I get 33. Mine is still tight at 1000 miles so I expect it to get better. If you run at 60-65 the mileage goes way up, but that is too slow for interstate speeds to be safe. The opposite is true, run over 75 and the mileage suffers (and you get speeding tickets.....) :) This is a great commuter car, has plenty of pep for all normal situations (with clutch switch mod)..but its not a sports car (NAV version).

#8 · (Edited)
are you guys actually calculating the MPG yourself by looking at how much you pump and the odometer for miles traveled? Using that approach, at 2K miles, I am only getting 27ish combined with mostly highway (with some stops, not interstate) and city driving. On the highway, I am going at 70 or so.

A little disappointed. Hoping it improves.

#9 ·
2013 Veloster Turbo, Auto-Trans with mileage hand calculated.

I just filled up this morning and here is my chart so far. Overall I average 45 miles per day in commuting with 20/30/50 mix of suburban back roads, suburban city and urban freeway. Add to the mix 30-50 miles of running around on the weekends. In general I do less than 2-3 shots a week where I am pushing it over 4,500 RPM. This past week I tried a new test with the ECO button turned off the entire week. (It was a major bust, as you can see).

Text Font Line Number Parallel

#13 ·
2013 Veloster Turbo, Auto-Trans with mileage hand calculated.

I just filled up this morning and here is my chart so far. Overall I average 45 miles per day in commuting with 20/30/50 mix of suburban back roads, suburban city and urban freeway. Add to the mix 30-50 miles of running around on the weekends. In general I do less than 2-3 shots a week where I am pushing it over 4,500 RPM. This past week I tried a new test with the ECO button turned off the entire week. (It was a major bust, as you can see).

View attachment 10078
Is it just me, or does the math on the overal miles and gallons not add up right here?

#10 ·
I drive 330 miles and top off the tank with ten gallons....can't tell you if the odometer is accurate! Also, I had a tank where I went 70% city and 30% highway and got 30, so urban driving is not the velosters best environment for fuel efficiency. I also keep my foot out of it. Last night I drove a stretch of 60 mph for ten miles non-stop and only got an "indicated" 37 mpg which surprised me because it shows better going faster on the interstate...then I noticed I had been driving all along in 5th gear instead of 6th...

Try the clutch switch fix and see if your mileage improves as the factory set up in my Veloster caused me to loose momentum constantly when shifting in city traffic.

#12 ·
I'm assuming we are talking Turbo numbers...

Mine is a MT with about 6500 kms (4000mls), using synth oil and usually 91 gas, I'm averaging about 7.5L/100kms witch is around 31mpg. That's also 90% city and with my lead foot. I'm very happy with the numbers.

Extreme weather, stop and go, 75+ on the highway won't see favorable numbers.

#19 ·
I'm assuming we are talking Turbo numbers...
Yes, I'm only interested in the Turbo numbers.
Thanks for all the reply’s so far.
These numbers are more encouraging then the ones that people first posted here a few weeks back.
I was really worried when I was seeing numbers no better than the mid 20’s, but low 30’s I can live with.
And please make sure these are REAL calculations, not from the readout on the car.

It’s real easy…..
Fill the tank…Reset the trip counter….Drive until ¼ tank or so…Refill the tank…Note the gallons pumped & miles driven.
Divide miles driven by gallons pumped and that’s the number. That’s much more accurate than what the car estimates.

And please note if your car is Auto or Stick….And I’m assuming they’re all turbo’s.
Thanks….Shawn S

Reactions: Va-Dingo
#15 ·
You should have no problem with the VT accomplishing this. I have a 40 mile round trip commute in chicagoland stop start traffic and still manage to average right around 30mpg each tank. On the highway it's no problem to get in the mid 30's MPG at 70-80 mph

#20 ·
I don't have much to contribute to this thread yet as i've owned my VT for about 7 hours but if you guys want you can follow me on Fuelly - https://www.fuelly.com/driver/shax07/veloster?fu=3305150

I drive 72-80 miles per day so i'll be adding a lot of fill ups quickly. Very first tank of the car was a poor 25.59 MPG which was 90% highway, lots of speeding up and slowing down in heavy traffic, and lots of WOT and of course it being the first few hundred miles on the car, the stats are useless at this point.

#21 ·
On a road trip (180 miles each way) I was getting 41MPG with my manual VT. Daily driving, 90% highway, I'm getting between 34.5 and 35.5 mpg. Very happy with this and the fact that my cost of fuel has decreased even more than I thought coming from my '12 Sonata.

#23 ·
2013 VT A/T Ultimate ~ 1k miles. 85% hwy commute.

If I drive sensibly I'll average 32mpg. If i drive aggressive, I'll get 25-28mpg.

Yesterday I was driving and checked my eco-coach...

Not sure why I've never gotten any points... I've filled up about 4 times since i got the car...

#24 ·
I have only filled up the car once, and I have been taking it relatively easy on the car, But since I have only filled it once, and I dont know what the mileage on the car was when the dealer put gas in it I have not been able to calculate the mileage.

BUT using the avg mpg on the little center gauge display I have been averaging 39.8mpg

using the Eco information screen on the infotainment center I average about 35-40mpg going to work (uphill), and 45-50mpg going home (down hill) at 65mph in 6th

you can kind of see the trend of me driving to work in the picture, the yellow is where I am driving to the highway and getting up to highway speeds, and the middle green is going uphill, and the high green is me driving on the semi level road to my job

EDIT: oh and one more thing, they dont sell the gasohol here, its 100% gasoline

#25 ·
You guys should try and calculate your mileage by hand instead of relying on the touchscreen. See if the numbers end up being the same. Fill up with a tank of gas..... go near empty and re-fill it, divide the number of miles driven by how much your pump in. Pretty easy :D

#27 ·
That's what I have done and will always do. In my Fuelly account, I added what the computer said my Average was in the Notes section so I can continuously compare my actual MPG with the MPG the computer stated I got. This way I can have an idea of how far off the computer always is. I'm also tracking this in a spreadsheet which will allow me to do some additional and unnecessary data analysis calculations and formulas.

Overkill is my middle name.

#29 ·
stop and go? and what traffic speed?

also the auto almost always consumes more energy than the manual

#34 ·
so I filled up the car today, unfortunately the place that I usually fill up, which use to have 100% gas, now has stickers on every pump saying may contain up to 10% ethanol... great.

Anyways, here are my mileage numbers.
10.03 gallons
366.8 miles
36.57mpg

not bad, I was expecting worse since last week I was stuck in traffic 3 times after work

#42 ·
I think so, I have seen maybe 3-4 regular Vs, but no Turbos the Hyundai here just got in 2 VTurbos but both were A/T

El Paso had maybe 4-5 Vturbos, mine was the only M/T within 500 miles according to cars.com/autotrader

#36 ·
Wow you guys are doing awesome. In my first 3 tanks with the car, i'm averaging 25.54 MPG and that's 90+% Highway miles. Pretty god awful so far and I really hope it improves when i've got some more miles added...

#37 ·
Alright so how many miles should we say one would expect to drive before we consider this "broken in" to the point where we should except to receive the best fuel economy possible?

I wonder because I am at 1,100 miles, have filled up 4 times and am averaging 25.5 MPG across the board and every individual fill up is very close to the average. I know the car is new and all, but I still don't think it's right that I am getting below the City rating when I drive 90-95% of my miles on the Highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.