NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Gas mileage revisited

I drive in stop and go Chicagoland traffic 5 days a week. 40 miles round trip commute. Half Highway half city/suburban roads. My mixed MPG almost always ends up around 28mpg. I can't complain. Come summer with good fuel and not having to let the care warm up in our sub zero temperatures I'm sure I'll be seeing closer to 30. I'm happy with that.

VT with manual.
    captainofiron likes this.
    2013 Veloster Turbo - Boston Red - Matte Black Vinyl Graphics
    twitter.com/Boots_Ylectric
    Instagram - Boots_Ylectric
    Get high on rocks - adventuresinclimbing.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I just don't understand how people have this issue.. I just drove back from pa and got 34.2 mpg on my VT it was just about all highway at 70+ with 4-5 0-100+(and we all know how much the mpg drops over 65-70) runs and with messing around with a gen coupe for a while I wasn't even trying to get good mpg and I got pretty damn close to the updated mpg.. i was running 36.8 mpg earlier in the trip I drive all my cars pretty hard and I'm by no means upset with the MPG of the vt.. hell my landlord said i'm getting almost 3 mpg better then her elantra....

and like boots said... it's winter gas.. and esp for turbo guys.. terrain makes a huge difference because of the load on the turbo
    Last edited by elecblue06; 01-22-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    MTD and captainofiron like this.
    First production US VT with 200 whp come at me bro lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boots Ylectric View Post
    I drive in stop and go Chicagoland traffic 5 days a week. 40 miles round trip commute. Half Highway half city/suburban roads. My mixed MPG almost always ends up around 28mpg. I can't complain. Come summer with good fuel and not having to let the care warm up in our sub zero temperatures I'm sure I'll be seeing closer to 30. I'm happy with that.

VT with manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    I just don't understand how people have this issue.. I just drove back from pa and got 34.2 mpg on my VT it was just about all highway at 70+ with 4-5 0-100+(and we all know how much the mpg drops over 65-70) runs and with messing around with a gen coupe for a while I wasn't even trying to get good mpg and I got pretty damn close to the updated mpg.. i was running 36.8 mpg earlier in the trip I drive all my cars pretty hard and I'm by no means upset with the MPG of the vt.. hell my landlord said i'm getting almost 3 mpg better then her elantra....

and like boots said... it's winter gas.. and esp for turbo guys.. terrain makes a huge difference because of the load on the turbo
    I'm really starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my car.. You guys live in cold climates as well, and appear to be getting insanely higher mileage than me. I feel like i'm getting the worst mileage of any VT on this forum.. In my last 9 tanks I am averaging 22.73 MPG doing 85% highway miles at 75-80mph, all of them on 91 octane with 10% ethanol.

Oh and my worst tank was 20.84 MPG ! That's less than 1 MPG away from TEENS and thats Still doing 85% highway miles.
    Last edited by shaX 07; 01-22-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | M/T Marathon Blue | Base | Solo Exhaust | Tint

MTD
    Quote Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
    at 75-80mph
    Thats probably your issue right there. The EPA testing is done at 48mph.

This is a few years old but it really shows the speed vs fuel economy differences well.
    Tested: Speed vs fuel economy
    '13 VT

MTD
    I also just noticed that in Maine, the speed limit is 65-75mph on some roads, so going 48 would get you run off the road. But if you want to travel that fast, you cant really expect to get decent fuel economy either.
    '13 VT

Quote Originally Posted by MTD View Post
    Thats probably your issue right there. The EPA testing is done at 48mph.

This is a few years old but it really shows the speed vs fuel economy differences well.
    Tested: Speed vs fuel economy
    thats the thing I just got 34.2 mpg by doing 70+ mph and not babying the car either..

that being said I got gas from a different place then usual and currently my gauge is saying i'm averaging 23 mpg.. which is the lowest it's said after 1 mark has disappeared.. so you should try a getting gas at a different place

MTD
    Yeah, but your car is also modded, so who knows what thats doing with the fuel economy.

Making it better by the looks of it lol
    '13 VT

I'm really starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my car.. You guys live in cold climates as well, and appear to be getting insanely higher mileage than me. I feel like i'm getting the worst mileage of any VT on this forum.. In my last 9 tanks I am averaging 22.73 MPG doing 85% highway miles at 75-80mph, all of them on 91 octane with 10% ethanol.

Oh and my worst tank was 20.84 MPG ! That's less than 1 MPG away from TEENS and thats Still doing 85% highway miles.
    I notice that once I'm above 65 MPH my MPG's start dropping fast. I think I can actually get better mileage on my commute if I luck out and get lighter traffic because I end up doing around 55 instead of road tripping where I'm doing 75.

Yeah, but your car is also modded, so who knows what thats doing with the fuel economy.

Making it better by the looks of it lol
    nope stock tune is back on for the time being they're doing more work on it before the final flash I was doing 28 mpg on my daily commute which is mostly city prior to going down to even get any work done
    Last edited by elecblue06; 01-23-2013 at 11:55 AM.

MTD
    Yeah wrong person lol. I typically see around 28 mostly city. Everyone's driving styles and road conditions are different so I think anyone who's getting really low or really high numbers is doing something different.
    '13 VT

Yeah wrong person lol. I typically see around 28 mostly city. Everyone's driving styles and road conditions are different so I think anyone who's getting really low or really high numbers is doing something different.
    yup and like i said esp for turbo guys.. terrain makes a huge difference.. if you have alot of hills you have to pre accel and then coast down if you dont want your MPG to go into the shitter lol

We live in cold weather but haven't had a long streak of it until this week. Lately and with the current cold weather alert, my usually driving routes and habits have not gotten me my usual mpg. But when it is -20 to -30, I don't expect it to either.
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    yup and like i said esp for turbo guys.. terrain makes a huge difference.. if you have alot of hills you have to pre accel and then coast down if you dont want your MPG to go into the shitter lol
    Its super hilly here, and you ahve to take advantage of gravity and accelerate down hill and then hold it and let the car coast and lose speed (to a reasonable degree) going uphill
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt , M6, FLP LTs, Custom 2in true duals, MSD ignition, Beehive Springs, 1.65 RRs
    68 Firebird 400, 400ci V8, 3.55 gears, M20 M4
    65 Impala SS 327ci V8, M20 M4 12 bolt 3.45 gears
    91 Jeep XJ 2 door. 4X4 NP 231 TC, AX15 M5, 4in lift
    13 Veloster Turbo, M6, stock

I also just noticed that in Maine, the speed limit is 65-75mph on some roads, so going 48 would get you run off the road. But if you want to travel that fast, you cant really expect to get decent fuel economy either.
    I don't understand posts like this. Where anywhere in this thread did I say "I expect to get 35MPG highway while cruising at 80mph"? I didn't.

I don't expect to get 35MPG going 80MPH.

I would expect to AT LEAST achieve the damned CITY EPA rating by doing 80mph on the highway, and I am not. So you tell me if it's justified that Hyundai is able to produce a car that allows a driver to cut its gas mileage Almost in half, just by driving 10-15mph faster than the speed limit? That's bullcrap if you ask me.

I have gotten as low as 20MPG on a tank in this car, doing 85% highway miles and that was with very little spirited driving. Sure I might have been driving between 75-80mph on the highway, but that doesn't justify a 15MPG DECREASE in MPG if you ask me.

In ANY other car I have EVER driven, driving the absolute hell out of it has decreased its MPG by at most, 5mpg, not 15.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | M/T Marathon Blue | Base | Solo Exhaust | Tint

I don't understand posts like this. Where anywhere in this thread did I say "I expect to get 35MPG highway while cruising at 80mph"? I didn't.

I don't expect to get 35MPG going 80MPH.

I would expect to AT LEAST achieve the damned CITY EPA rating by doing 80mph on the highway, and I am not. So you tell me if it's justified that Hyundai is able to produce a car that allows a driver to cut its gas mileage Almost in half, just by driving 10-15mph faster than the speed limit? That's bullcrap if you ask me.

I have gotten as low as 20MPG on a tank in this car, doing 85% highway miles and that was with very little spirited driving. Sure I might have been driving between 75-80mph on the highway, but that doesn't justify a 15MPG DECREASE in MPG if you ask me.

In ANY other car I have EVER driven, driving the absolute hell out of it has decreased its MPG by at most, 5mpg, not 15.
    then get your car looked at because I was just doing 70-80 mpg with a decent amount of spirited driving and i still pulled 34 mpg. have you tried different gas? no one else is reporting 20 mpg highway

MTD
    Take your fuel economy info into your dealer and show them the results. Its quite possible that there is something wrong with the car if you're the only person on here getting 20mpg.
    chopchop0 likes this.
    '13 VT

My instant MPG (l/100km, technically) shows that I'm using 5-6 bars when I'm at the equivalent of 55-60mph but over the holidays when I did a long stretch of highway at the equivalent of 80-85mph, it was showing my using 8-9 bars which is like 50% more. Of course there are other factors too that could effect fuel economy and the above is by no means an empirical way to define the effects to MPG. One factor rarely discussed is that it could just be an issue with the car but how to test that, I have no clue.

My MPGs have taken a significant hit with this surge of cold weather here. But what you are seeing seems odd at the very least.

EDIT: Was looking for something in the manual and came across this (lol):

To improve your fuel efficiency:
    • Accelerate at a moderate rate
    • Keep tires inflated to the recommended pressure on the placard
    • Be sure the wheels are properly aligned
    • Avoid unnecessary braking
    • Drive between 55-65 mph on the freeway
    Last edited by Mingo85; 01-24-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

To expand on what Mingo said, I checked my tire pressure the other day. I was a few lbs short so I added some air. I got an extra 1-2 MPG's out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots Ylectric View Post
    To expand on what Mingo said, I checked my tire pressure the other day. I was a few lbs short so I added sI got an extra 1-2 MPG's out of that.
    HAH! Empirical evidence! LOL! Jokes jokes. Thanks for the back ups. But it is true and proven that tire pressure can greatly effect fuel efficiency.ome air.

EDIT: When I got to my car later I went to check my tire pressure. This cold weather dropped it down by quite a few pounds, between 4-6. Difference was noticed by the end of the trip and efficiency was slightly improved.

Driving some mix of highway this morning, tank now at like 40% highway and my dash calculator dropped about a liter from my usual when I'm doing 90% city.

Our cold spurt should end by Monday/Tuesday and so I'll need to make sure to let some air out from the expansion that should happen. This serves as a nice reminder to myself that I need to stay on top of my tire pressures during these big dips in weather.
    Last edited by Mingo85; 01-25-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Filled up last night:
    365.8 miles
    10.849 gallons
    33.7mpg
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt , M6, FLP LTs, Custom 2in true duals, MSD ignition, Beehive Springs, 1.65 RRs
    68 Firebird 400, 400ci V8, 3.55 gears, M20 M4
    65 Impala SS 327ci V8, M20 M4 12 bolt 3.45 gears
    91 Jeep XJ 2 door. 4X4 NP 231 TC, AX15 M5, 4in lift
    13 Veloster Turbo, M6, stock

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements