NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Gas mileage revisited

MTD
    Pretty much any AWD car will have poor fuel eco. Ask any WRX or Mitsu owner about it lol.

Consider that most cars in the sport compact group all take premium, I think the Velo does great. Fuel is cheaper and its just as good, if not better then the rest.
    '13 VT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

A big selling point of this car was that it didn't require premium. I already have to buy premium for one id rather not have to for both.
    RKoz likes this.
    Cookie Monster-2013 Marathon Blue Veloster Turbo-Auto-Converted To Blue Interior,BD Customs FMIC, 2.5 in. Catless DP & CAI, NGM Coilovers, Hi/Lo/Fog HIDS, LEDS, Magnaflow Exhaust,Forge BOV,65A Poly Engine Mounts,Poly Exhaust Hangers,Import Shark STB,Maintec Torsion Bar, "Veloster Turbo" Acrylic Plates,Gold Rota P45 18x8 Kuhmo 4X 225/40/18s,Sequence Devil Claws,KDM Headlights, Weathertech Mats And Visors, TurboXS Billet Oil Cap

2009 Performance White Shelby GT500-725 Rwhp 676 Rwtrq- SOLD

Still can't reach the fuel efficiency that MTD reaches though! That's my goal =P Going premium soon to see how that effects things and almost done my last oil change before I head over to synthetic, but even though I'm close it'll take some time to get there. Hopefully I'll see a good difference with the premium and then another good jump with the change in oil. *fingers crossed*
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

MTD
    I usually use premium, CT or Shell and synth oil. My car also has over 12,000kms, so its more then broken in. I drive alot in the city, but I dont really drive that aggressively now that the roads are getting slippery. Honestly havent being paying much attention to it. Its good enough on gas for me. Im not going to fuss over a L here or there.
    '13 VT

My last tank in my automatic averaged 8.3 litres / 100km (28 miles per gallon US according to an online converter). Three-quarters of the driving around town, although about 50% of my drive to work is along a freeway with a 90 km/h limit, and one-quarter on a drive to the country with four adults on board (with the rear seat surprisingly spacious and comfortable for those of average height). The automatic is rated 7.6 litres/100km here (manual 6.8 litres/100km). It's accepted that actual driving rarely approaches the theoretical test although my results are close. I am an economical driver and I plan ahead such as lifting off early for red traffic lights, but I am not afraid to put the boot in if the road is free.

Typically, small turbos can show great variation between good economy and poor economy depending on where and how you drive.

Just filled up yesterday, I had been on Vacation since the 20th of December, and my little brother and parents came to visit, so we had been driving alot around town doing stuff. Needless to say I was driving a little more spirited than usual (not shifting till ~3500, taking off from lights and stop signs quicker et cetera).

I got 334.5 miles out of 10.88 gallons (86 octane w/ 10% ethanol) which equals 30.74mpg (7.65 L / 100km)
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt , M6, FLP LTs, Custom 2in true duals, MSD ignition, Beehive Springs, 1.65 RRs
    68 Firebird 400, 400ci V8, 3.55 gears, M20 M4
    65 Impala SS 327ci V8, M20 M4 12 bolt 3.45 gears
    91 Jeep XJ 2 door. 4X4 NP 231 TC, AX15 M5, 4in lift
    13 Veloster Turbo, M6, stock

I just filled up for the first time today since getting my VT @ Shell and decided to use the mid-grade gas (I saw they also had that new V-Power Premium, but not sure if it's worth it). The ODO had 271 miles on it, is that about average for the first tank? The reason I ask is The trip button you can choose to toggle for average MPG (was showing 21.8), speed, elapsed time, etc. I noticed the "Distance to empty" was pretty accurate before I filled up today and I got the low fuel warning light as well. But after I filled up it shows distance to empty 406 miles. Is that normal? Will I really get that much before I need to fill-up again since my 1st fill-up was 271 miles?

It's always an estimate, gruntled, not a guarantee - if your driving style remains the same, the estimate should be close - if your right foot gets heavier or lighter, the amount you'll get from a tankful varies accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Manual Veloster SR Turbo in Marmalade

lucky day.

about 10miles, 55~65mph, little change in elevation, pulse and glide, possible tail wind. reset while on the road so thats strictly "hwy"

Not too shabby

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    captainofiron and saffyres like this.
    sold the car...

SFR tuned ECU for sale. Manual Trans only $600 shipped within 48 states. Warrantied by SFR.

Quote Originally Posted by HyundaiVeloster View Post
    lucky day.

about 10miles, 55~65mph, little change in elevation, pulse and glide, possible tail wind. reset while on the road so thats strictly "hwy"

Not too shabby

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Do a hand calc to make sure as the computer is notoriously optimistic. Measure how much you ACTUALLY filled up after that and divide by the miles driven. I guarantee you wont get anywhere close to that
    Rasagul likes this.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | M/T Ironman Silver/Grey Interior with Ultimate Package

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo85 View Post
    I'd be much happier not having those numbers. I drive 90% city and I'm right around the combined 28 mpg in the revised listing for the VT. So for me to get the combined rating with only 10% highway, I'm quite pleased.
    How on Earth do you get 28mpg combined doing 90% city? I don't understand. I get 24mpg combined doing 90% HIGHWAY.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | M/T Marathon Blue | Base | Solo Exhaust | Tint

Quote Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
    How on Earth do you get 28mpg combined doing 90% city? I don't understand. I get 24mpg combined doing 90% HIGHWAY.
    Typically, small turbos can show great variation between good economy and poor economy depending on where and how you drive. You need to learn to drive economically (and economical doesn't mean slow either). I get 8.2 litres / 100km (28 miles per US gallon) out of my turbo automatic and 2/3 of that is around town, with the other 1/3 mostly on country back roads. Two long freeway cruises returned 7.6 litres / 100km (into the 30s in your language) at 120km/h (whatever that is in American-speak; 75mph I think) with the airconditioning on all the way.
    captainofiron likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrmale View Post
    Typically, small turbos can show great variation between good economy and poor economy depending on where and how you drive. You need to learn to drive economically (and economical doesn't mean slow either). I get 8.2 litres / 100km (28 miles per US gallon) out of my turbo automatic and 2/3 of that is around town, with the other 1/3 mostly on country back roads. Two long freeway cruises returned 7.6 litres / 100km (into the 30s in your language) at 120km/h (whatever that is in American-speak; 75mph I think) with the airconditioning on all the way.
    Hmm well please enlighten the rest of us on how to drive "economically" if that doesn't entail driving slower, accelerating moderately, etc. I've never heard of such a claim. If driving fast and romping on the car should yield Better mileage, than I should probably be getting better MPG than I am.

Having said that, in my last 9 fill ups, I am averaging 22.73 MPG, with roughly 85% highway miles.

I am highly unimpressed. One tank, I got as low as 20.84 MPG. That's just unacceptable in a car rated at 35MPG highway, I don't care how it's driven.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | M/T Marathon Blue | Base | Solo Exhaust | Tint

Quote Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
    Hmm well please enlighten the rest of us on how to drive "economically" if that doesn't entail driving slower, accelerating moderately, etc. I've never heard of such a claim. If driving fast and romping on the car should yield Better mileage, than I should probably be getting better MPG than I am.

Having said that, in my last 9 fill ups, I am averaging 22.73 MPG, with roughly 85% highway miles.

I am highly unimpressed. One tank, I got as low as 20.84 MPG. That's just unacceptable in a car rated at 35MPG highway, I don't care how it's driven.
    its called pedal control and learning to keep momentum...
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt , M6, FLP LTs, Custom 2in true duals, MSD ignition, Beehive Springs, 1.65 RRs

Filled up last night after work.

363 miles, 11.32 gallons = 32.07 mpg

thats 75% highway, 25% city

Filled up today. I am now using 93 octane (with <10% ethanol as per the stupid state/national regulations) primarily as I seem to subjectively feel a performance boost.

Filled up 10.56 gallons after driving 286.4 miles. 25% highway, 75% city (although the majority of that city driving is on rural highways with very few stoplights where I drive up to 65-70 MPH).

My hand calculation comes out to 27.1 MPG. I bet if I drove around 55 MPH (the speed limit), I'd probably get better mileage
    2013 Veloster Turbo | M/T Ironman Silver/Grey Interior with Ultimate Package

MTD
    14,000kms on the car now. Fresh oil change of Castrol SynTec. Using Canadian Tire 91 ethanol free gas. Winter tires and typically cold temps and Im seeing 29mpg (by hand), about 80/20 city/highway driving moderately because the roads can be icy. Gauge in the car is showing about 32mpg.

Still no complaints. My Genesis gets around 19mpg under the same conditions lol.
    '13 VT

Just switched over the Shell 91 and all I can say is that the effects were immediate (and this was only slightly more than half tank fill). I went back to pumps last night after driving 200kms (80city/20hwy), efficiency improved to 29mpg (by hand) compared to my usual 27 (sometimes 28). I usually get my 27-28 by driving very very very conservatively but in this 200km I had a huge stretch of spirited driving as well. Makes me almost wonder if the car is actually designed for premium and they made enough tweaks for the ratios to adapt to regular to be able to list that it takes regular. Or it could just be the ethanol factor making the difference? At the moment based on the last calculation I am still paying slightly more for every 100km but the driving patterns were different. I have a feeling it will be very close price/100km once I have more data.
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo85 View Post
    Just switched over the Shell 91 and all I can say is that the effects were immediate (and this was only slightly more than half tank fill). I went back to pumps last night after driving 200kms (80city/20hwy), efficiency improved to 29mpg (by hand) compared to my usual 27 (sometimes 28). I usually get my 27-28 by driving very very very conservatively but in this 200km I had a huge stretch of spirited driving as well. Makes me almost wonder if the car is actually designed for premium and they made enough tweaks for the ratios to adapt to regular to be able to list that it takes regular. Or it could just be the ethanol factor making the difference? At the moment based on the last calculation I am still paying slightly more for every 100km but the driving patterns were different. I have a feeling it will be very close price/100km once I have more data.
    if the ECM is pulling timing due to engine knock on the cheaper gas I could definitely see your numbers changing.

Man, that is insanely good mileage. With my manual VT, I average 21.5mpg for 100% city driving and about 30 mpg highway. Driving like a total grand mom yield me 23 mpg on a tank once. But I figured that I might as well drive my Turbo like it's meant to be driven and suffer slightly in fuel economy. Enjoy the car more this way.

I seriously want to send you a car DVR cam or a OBD II data logger just to see how you manage to get that kind of fuel economy. I do run Castro synthetic oil and have tried both regular and Ultra 94. I decided that Ultra 94 is not worth the extra premium. I noticed no increase in fuel economy or any perceivable power gain. The car runs beautifully with regular, might as well enjoy that as a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by MTD View Post
    14,000kms on the car now. Fresh oil change of Castrol SynTec. Using Canadian Tire 91 ethanol free gas. Winter tires and typically cold temps and Im seeing 29mpg (by hand), about 80/20 city/highway driving moderately because the roads can be icy. Gauge in the car is showing about 32mpg.

Still no complaints. My Genesis gets around 19mpg under the same conditions lol.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements