NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Official Matte Gray Thread

The Official Matte Gray Thread

In this thread, owners of matte gray can discuss care, issues and enjoyment of our paint jobs! I figured we deserve our own thread due to the special nature of the paint. There may be tips and tricks that come up as our ownership goes along.

As we know, for the 2013 Matte Gray VTs, we get a Dr. Beasley's Matte Care Kit with our cars. Here is the product: Matte Paint Prescription

I'd also like to share some links from Dr. Beasley's regarding matte paint in case some of you haven't seen them.

Matte Paint Care Myths: DEBUNKED

Maintaining Matte Paint Is Easy

I bought my car this past weekend. Drove home in a rain storm. Once I got home, I promptly used the matte body wash to clean the car off, then used the matte paint sealant. So far, I've been bird bombed and yesterday I drove home in a horrible rain storm with flooded roads and dirty water splashing on the car from splashes in front of me and next to me by other cars and trucks. Much of it was dirty road water as it came from industrial and contruction areas. Overnight, there was also heavy rains.

So far, the matte paint still looks flawless after all that. I am not sure how much of it has to do with the durability of the clear coat over the paint or the matte paint sealant from Dr. Beasley's, but I have to say so far I am happy with the durability after these first two tests. I'd highly recommend keeping the matte final finish and a couple microfiber detailing cloths in your car to wipe anything up you feel might damage the paint if kept on long term, and for new matte buyers, I'd recommend sealing the car for peace of mind the day you take delivery.

The wash and sealing took me no more than 45 minutes. Even though the sealant says it lasts hundreds of washes and a few months, I might put on another layer of sealant this weekend for added protection. With the small size of the car, I'd say it should take no more than 30 minutes to wash the car yourself.
    Last edited by 1.6 T-GDI; 08-22-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    CRH and asilentmurder like this.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | Matte Gray | Ultimate Package

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

CRH
    Yeah, I just power washed + hand washed my car yesterday and there's still no flaws in the paint after a couple weeks and 1k miles. The maintenance seems easier than my black gen coupe was...
    1.6 T-GDI likes this.
    2013 Matte Gray 6MT Veloster Turbo w/ Ultimate Package
    20% Tint All Around, 8k HID Low Beams, 3k HID Fog Lights, Plastidipped Wheels, Emblems, Ground Effects, De-Badged

how do you think it will hold up in a snowy and icy winter?

Quote Originally Posted by screenshotted View Post
    how do you think it will hold up in a snowy and icy winter?
    Not sure, I live in FL and have not lived in snow and ice for the past 21 years. CRH might be able to answer better.

I have had my Matte Grey since August 8th. I have washed it once since i got it and have had substantial rain up here in South Eastern New York. My paint looks amazing actually better then when i picked up from dealer because those morons didnt wash it properly when they recieved it. There were still dirt lines where they pulled off plastic protection film. So im happy to say im impressed with the durability so far. Only major concern is where i park is a concrete plant and am very nervous about getting that dust on my car. Not gonna be able to buff and polish like the Vita C i had...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    MATTE GREY ULTIMATE M/T BLACK W/ ​BLUE ACCENTS

exactly as i had expected..

I figured the paint would actually be easier to care for than gloss and as said, it will not show scratches as easily as gloss will which is a +1 for anyone I'm sure.
    2013 TURBO Vitamin C, M/T Ultimate... NGM springs, 8mm spacers, XXR 530 18x7.5 38offset flat black, DIY lip, bumper claws, custom SRI, forge BOV, DIY catch cans!!

http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/142898.png
    cant post images in sig FAIL

CRH
    Only time will tell I guess, I feel like as long as you put a new sealant on before winter it will make it through with no issues...only bad part is I turn my outside water off during winter so my pipes dont freeze so if I do get a decent weather day to clean it, I may not be able to do so. Maybe I'll just spray it down inside the garage with the finishing spray and have at it :P
    2013 Matte Gray 6MT Veloster Turbo w/ Ultimate Package
    20% Tint All Around, 8k HID Low Beams, 3k HID Fog Lights, Plastidipped Wheels, Emblems, Ground Effects, De-Badged

I was concerned about the longevity of the paint at 2-3 years. Time will tell..... we'll have to resurrect this thread then!
    2013 Veloster Turbo | M/T Ironman Silver/Grey Interior with Ultimate Package

It might not be the same for anyone else, but does anyone here get a paranoid feeling whenever they even look at their car still? I feel like just by looking at it I'm going to damage the paint somehow even though that's impossible.

I love and hate looking at it both at the same time. I guess it's because of all the stuff I've read about the care has somehow programmed me into thinking it's fragile and difficult. It's like my brain is fighting itself.

Has anyone noticed imperfections in the paint? There are a couple places on mine where the finish is a little, I dont know, non-uniform. Of course it is virtually invisible unless you are looking for it and view it at just the right angle.

Quote Originally Posted by 1.6 T-GDI View Post
    It might not be the same for anyone else, but does anyone here get a paranoid feeling whenever they even look at their car still? I feel like just by looking at it I'm going to damage the paint somehow even though that's impossible.

I love and hate looking at it both at the same time. I guess it's because of all the stuff I've read about the care has somehow programmed me into thinking it's fragile and difficult. It's like my brain is fighting itself.
    I would think after dealing with the paint for a little while, you would have more confidence. Seems like regular paint to me. And when your brain fights itself, there are no winners!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoker View Post
    Has anyone noticed imperfections in the paint? There are a couple places on mine where the finish is a little, I dont know, non-uniform. Of course it is virtually invisible unless you are looking for it and view it at just the right angle.
    I noticed a round, tiny dark spot about half the size of a pin head on the paint. You won't see it unless you're looking for it and very close. I had read there might be slight imperfections and that's normal. I was a bit upset at first but then started thinking of it as a beauty spot on a sexy lady, LOL!

http://www.veloster.org/forum/attach...-hma-matte.pdf

There's the PDF from HMA that talks about paint imperfections.

How do you guys feel about a car cover? I live in Jersey and park in the street, in the winter with a bad storm and all the salt might do some damage, you think a car covers a good idea or putting it on will cause damage itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Trueboxer13 View Post
    How do you guys feel about a car cover? I live in Jersey and park in the street, in the winter with a bad storm and all the salt might do some damage, you think a car covers a good idea or putting it on will cause damage itself?
    if you're on a busy street, that could be ugly, especially on the driver's side, car cover might help but could be a pia.

what are you guys doing about water spots after it rains, i take it that it doesn't show up as much as a gloss (which is good) but are they tough to get off after they dry? do you use the touch up spray for that or just leave them till the next wash? not looking forward to driving mine through a new england winter, curious if people post up with good ways to wash them in the winter. so far the best idea going is to bring it to a detail shop, but that won't be cheap. even the drive thru hand held is risky because you don't know what's left in the line or splattered all over the ground. maybe have to suck it up and go back to a winter $hitbox

I think our best bet is to find a treasure trove of a matte paint thread for BMWs somewhere discussing how the paint holds up in an icy winter. I searched for it before and couldn't find a thing but it just HAS to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by screenshotted View Post
    I think our best bet is to find a treasure trove of a matte paint thread for BMWs somewhere discussing how the paint holds up in an icy winter. I searched for it before and couldn't find a thing but it just HAS to exist.
    i have done a lot of research on it, from everything i've read and heard, winter, salt etc.will not have any effect on it, solvents, wax, detailing products, including wheel cleaners will. i'm assuming as long as your using matte safe products for everything exterior, you'll be good. i've also read that it will hold up as well if not better than gloss over the years because you will not be using harsh cleaners or rubbing compounds, which will degrade gloss over the years. waiting for the "matte paint paranoia" thread.
    Last edited by rt44; 08-22-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trueboxer13 View Post
    Hey. Jersey here too (Lyndhurst). I got a car cover just for the winter. I don't want to be scraping off snow and ice from the paint. I rather have a barrier.

Hey. Jersey here too (Lyndhurst). I got a car cover just for the winter. I don't want to be scraping off snow and ice from the paint. I rather have a barrier.
    Perfect... that was my plan also just wanted to make sure it was a good idea

i don't know, i picture a cover being frozen stiff, weighing three times more with ice stuck to it, and possibly being stuck to the car in really bad frozen sleet. i'll be curious how that works out. please post mid winter.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements