NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matte Grey finish..

HBC

Matte Grey finish..

Wondering who would consider getting the Matte finish? I was considering it, until i spoke to a few buddies at the body shop, and was told it was not a wise idea for a daily car. I then googled " how to take care of matte car finish" It its just not easy... and more of a headache.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I pre-ordered mine with the Matte Gray finish. However, I don't drive every day, and my cars are in an underground parking garage most of the time. They offer hand car washing service on the ground floor, so I'm not really that worried about taking care of it... although I did plenty of research myself about taking care of it, and it is definitely more of a headache.. just gotta be on top of it

Oh that isn't great news for me.
    I absolutley LOVE that colour, but I will be using this thing everyday for work, driving from construction site to construction site - (as well as for fun!) probably up to 150 - 200 km a day.
    Damn.

I really, really want Matte but I may go with black just because I want to put the carbon fiber hood and hatch on it. I'm going for big weight savings, suspension, and engine mods. I don't want the CF to be obvious or stand out but I don't trust my self or a shop to be able to paint the CF and have it match the matte grey right away.

Matte is not that hard to take care of. My Accent is matte black and all I have to do is wash it. More than normal paint but it's not a huge hassle. Even when I don't wash it, I get compliments on it. I like the Mad Max look anyway. I did it myself with a one step flat paint. It's the hardest kind of paint to do right and keep looking good but I think it was worth it. I'm pretty sure Veloster isn't matte like you see on DIY street cars. Veloster is a factory finish. Most likely a regular paint job with a less-than-glossy clear coat. It should behave pretty similar to any of the other colors.
    '07 Accent. Matte Black, trimmed in red.
    I also tinker with various '80s BMWs
    Waiting for Veloster Turbo now.

I hope so! Would love to get the matte grey........

Somewhere in here someone had commented that they didn't want a car that matched the color of the pavement making them more invisible. I tend to agree. Vitamin C and Electrolyte Green, the first Veloster colors, didn't try to hide the car. I have seen flat or matte finishes on cars -- they are not pretty. Interesting, yes. Especially on a high end car. But they all kind of look like the car was in a fire and -- it's just not pretty.

Taking Care of Matte Paint Finishes |

Yeah, those are all pluses for me. The reason I went matte in the first place was to be more invisible. You can drive fast or you can stand out. You can rarely do both. Not pretty and been on fire? Fits me to a T.

EDIT: Oh, that article you linked has a link to matte paint cleaners I haven't seen before. Thanks.
    Last edited by SlowAccent; 02-02-2012 at 03:46 AM.
    '07 Accent. Matte Black, trimmed in red.
    I also tinker with various '80s BMWs
    Waiting for Veloster Turbo now.

MTD
    When BMW offered the matte finish on the M3, the owners had to sign waivers to avoid any issues with the paint. I cant see Hyundai offering a very labour intensive and not very durable paint on a sub $30K car. Im wondering if its really not matte at all, but more of a flat or not as shiney finsih.
    '13 VT

Similarly, I went with the Ironman Silver because it was more invisible in the sea of silver cars I commute with. I drive pretty aggressively and thought maybe a bright color wouldn't be the best thing for me.

The matte/flat finish I saw was in the parking garage my office building shares with a hotel. It was a Maserati with a black finish -- not gray -- black that really looked like it had been in a fire. And I was lucky enough to hear the car start up and leave the garage during the owner's stay. It was louder than a cigar boat! Think 20 motorcycles. He was half a mile away and I could still hear it gunning down the street! It kind of put my new and wonderful little Veloster in perspective. LOL There are some things that money CAN buy! The one thing that car and mine shared was that no one walked by without looking. PRICELESS!
    Last edited by jkt1954; 02-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.

This matte paint finish is rumored to be different than BMWs, but we will see.
    It is not clear coated, it only needs regular car soap and no wax. There is some coating over it I am pretty sure from what I have read.
    2012 Marathon Blue Veloster | 2007 Lotus Exige S | 2010 Honda Fit
    Veloster Interface Design | Development Website | Full Veloster Review

The matte grey will definitely be at the top of my list if I end up getting a V. I had planned on getting grey or black for my next car anyway and I know black is hard to keep clean. Plus I already saw a black V in my area and I like to have something fairly rare. It was'nt a turbo obviously, but it kind of made me question whether I really want a car that is going to be more common than the gen. The gen coupe has been out about 3 years and I can count on one hand how many I've seen on the road besides mine.

I'm defiantly considering the matte. Before I even heard it was an option I was thinking about how sick it would look in a flat black kind of finish. But I think it's one of those things I'll know if I want it or not once I see it in person.

Looks like the the matte will have special upkeep

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As soon as I saw the flat black Maserati I knew I wanted to wealthy, too! But, unless I win the lottery, the Veloster is for me. And this is what is so great about the Veloster! It is offering a very sporty look, a great tech package, AND now it is adding another VERY sporty finish. This is all about offering an affordable and desirable car! Hyundai totally gets it! Rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Looks like the the matte will have special upkeep

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

thats a no-brainer...

BMW released a matte paint job on a limited run. you cant wax, you need to immediately clean of bird ****, it should be garage kept as the sun will **** it up quickly, and most paint shops wont be able to repaint it if the paint gets messed up.

Another development on Twitter:

"A maintenance agreement may be required with the Matte Gray paint."
    https://twitter.com/#!/HyundaiVelost...05737597255680

Quote Originally Posted by Zathu View Post
    Another development on Twitter:

"A maintenance agreement may be required with the Matte Gray paint."
    https://twitter.com/#!/HyundaiVelost...05737597255680
    Just like BMW
    The above post is a positive-discussion inducing post, it is not meant to talk down on anyone, or seem overly negative. Any foul language in the above post is not directed at anyone in specific. The above post was not posted with the only purpose being to troll or start drama.

Stop Having a Boring Tuna, Stop Having a Boring Life.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see it in person (if one ever goes on sale anywhere near me. It's hard enough to find a Base model... I can't imagine the VT will be any easier to locate when it drops. Especially right at first, when is when I'm going to be looking to buy). I build my cars to show them off, and in that world something I can't wax, might do the opposite of what I want it to do... especially somewhere like DUB, where flashy makes the difference. But, if it looks good, I might still go for it on the count that I won't have to waste time waxing it to get it setup. I'm torn. lol

Alot of the high end cars you see with matte finishes are wrapped not painted.

Wondering if there are any good
    Information about the matte gray maintenance on the veloster turbo. I'm considering it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements