NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Small VT Custom Paint Mod

Small VT Custom Paint Mod

So about a month ago I was sitting at a red light when I heard brakes. I then heard a bump. Then I felt a bump as the car behind me had got rear-ended and pushed into me. There was minor damage to my bumper piece and the trim that wraps under the license plate. The driver who hit the car behind me had to absorb all liability (and the car was 6 days old when it happened), so I got it repaired. The body shop was willing to do a mod for me and charge the driver's insurance company since it was no more work than repairing to stock. Here is the change...Name:  IMAG0007.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  1.28 MB
    Variable, Evan L and milo like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

hmm interesting...not sure if I like it or not yet. do you have a further away picture?

That is awesome you got it for free though if it is something you like!

Kind of looks like a section of your bumper got cut out when it's all the same color, IMO....
    As long as you're happy it's all good though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Cool (:

Should also get the black section around the reflectors painted to match. They seem out of place. Too much contrast imo.

More pics please!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Selling Enkei Lusso 18 x 8 Wheels + NS2 Summer Tires $1100 (Mint Condition)
    Selling Boston Red Painted Eyelines$75 (Mint Condition)Selling OEM Taillights (with upgraded LED reverse lights)$200 (Mint Condition)
    Selling Exled Turbo LED eyeline strip, white and amber leds$75 (Mint Condition)
    ≈Pm me if interested. Looking for local buyers (Greater Toronto Area)≈

interesting. i think i like the black better but i also think this would look better if the area directly around the exhaust(the part with the lines)was black while the rest was painted

Quote Originally Posted by tidybowl View Post
    interesting. i think i like the black better but i also think this would look better if the area directly around the exhaust(the part with the lines)was black while the rest was painted
    I agree.

You could always just plastidip that section

Sent from my GT-N7100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    milo likes this.

Selling Enkei Lusso 18 x 8 Wheels + NS2 Summer Tires $1100 (Mint Condition)
    Selling Boston Red Painted Eyelines$75 (Mint Condition)Selling OEM Taillights (with upgraded LED reverse lights)$200 (Mint Condition)
    Selling Exled Turbo LED eyeline strip, white and amber leds$75 (Mint Condition)
    ≈Pm me if interested. Looking for local buyers (Greater Toronto Area)≈

I think the grill part around exhaust should be plasti-dipped too.

it looks weird to me .. but the paint job looks terrible.. theres a **** load of orange peel

Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    it looks weird to me .. but the paint job looks terrible.. theres a **** load of orange peel
    i like the mod given your car color, but the orange peel spoken of is typically what happens to parts that are painted that had no intention of being painted from the factory. They totally should have used some filler to smooth it all out. I hate to break it to you but it looks like it is going to crack and peel on you.

another thought is when it goes bad and you end up repainting it, I think it would look sick if you painted the "fins" black. It may help break up all the color.

not liking that at all, kinda like painting the a pillars, takes away from the detail and contrast of different colors and surface materials. hyundai switched from gloss finish on the na-v rear diffuser to flat for good reason, hides a lot of $hit, won't scratch up as much. but if you like it, that's all that's important.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinolord View Post
    i like the mod given your car color, but the orange peel spoken of is typically what happens to parts that are painted that had no intention of being painted from the factory. They totally should have used some filler to smooth it all out. I hate to break it to you but it looks like it is going to crack and peel on you.

another thought is when it goes bad and you end up repainting it, I think it would look sick if you painted the "fins" black. It may help break up all the color.
    I didn't even think of the fact that that piece has a texture on it from the factory. thats definitely something that should've been thought off

if anything I think you should've left the dividers and bottom fins black and that could've looked good .. or the inverse
    Last edited by elecblue06; 11-27-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Looks ok to me, but I wouldn't go that route.
    The only thing I would paint is the line that scrolls below the exhaust tips and the 4 fins of the diffuser. The rest I'd leave black/silver or wrap with the carbon fiber vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    Have you looked at your paint on your V lately? I've been all over mine with both buffer and paint gauge and there is a ton of orange peel all over the entire car from the factory at least on the ultra black. Most OEM paint jobs these days have a good amount of orange peel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpacker92 View Post
    Have you looked at your paint on your V lately? I've been all over mine with both buffer and paint gauge and there is a ton of orange peel all over the entire car from the factory at least on the ultra black. Most OEM paint jobs these days have a good amount of orange peel.
    not like the bottom diffuser, theres not even a clean reflection but as stated, thats because there's a texture there to begin with.

on another note I'm still waiting for my vt

Sorry to disappear from my own thread. Thanks for all of the opinions. As someone mentioned, "as long as I like it." I do, so it is all good. The bumper piece has a lot more texture than you would think, so yeah it is definitely not orange peel (pardon the pun). The paint job is actually really good when you see it in person, and there is a lifetime warranty on it (the body shop has been in business forever and is a major insurance claim repair shop, so they aren't going anywhere). Here are a couple of distance shots. As you can see, without my cell camera a foot from it, the look is very different. I have shown it to a bunch of folks who all agreed that the work was great and they love the new look (including my kids and wife who would certainly tell me if it was $hit). To me, it is similar to the difference between the NA tech wheels vs. the VT wheels. The tech wheels are cool but have a little bit of a cartoon feel to them because of the extreme contrasts, where the VT wheels have a little bit of classy/sporty at the same time thing. The all orange back IMO just gives it a little bit more of a classy look (while keeping a bit of the contrast around the lights) while the front end retains the aggressiveness.Small VT Custom Paint Mod-imag0010.jpgSmall VT Custom Paint Mod-imag0008.jpgSmall VT Custom Paint Mod-imag0009.jpg I think a little bit of my wanting to get rid of some contrast has to do with my tint as well (limo except for the door windows at 25).
    Last edited by sliding_billy; 11-28-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Looks much better from further away. I like it a lot.

I would probably prefer it blacked out instead, but that's not bad!

im not a fan, but its never been done before so props to you for trying it
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual

Thanks for posting those further shots looks nicer, it is growing on me.

And with the lifetime warranty you are set, I have the same on my bumper where I was hit in a parking lot.

Ian
    Not bad, but I think I like diffuser black, especially if your windows are tinted. Nonetheless, it is a unique VT for sure
    2013 Veloster Turbo MT/Ultimate Package

Enhancements: LED and HID kit from DD, Rally Art mudflaps, 30% tint.

Well, it's been a few days and I am happy to say I have no remorse. I did notice (after re-reading the comments here) that the one thing that does look weird in the photos (but not at all in person) is the indent between the body and bumper. It does not look at all like a piece is missing in person.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements