1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hyundai Veloster License Plate LEDs! Plug & Play Install! See Comparison Photos

DD: I want to ask you a question about your products, but not about the license plate LEDs. In my experience, using LED turn signals without a load balancer causes the LEDs to blink fast, as the car thinks the bulb is burned out. This is due to the resistance differential between the LEDs and incandescent bulbs. Do your incandescent turn signal LED replacements have a "load" built into them, or will a separate load have to be purchased if I choose to buy LED turn signals from you?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

None of the LEDs we carry (or any I've ever seen) have load resistors built in. They get very hot (that's how they work) so it is impractical to build them into the LED bulb itself. We do offer resistors and flasher units to correct hyperblinking. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
    None of the LEDs we carry (or any I've ever seen) have load resistors built in. They get very hot (that's how they work) so it is impractical to build them into the LED bulb itself. We do offer resistors and flasher units to correct hyperblinking. Thanks!
    Thank you for the response. I didn't mean to imply that they should be "built-into the bulb," but some LED replacement kits include the load balancers as part of the purchase and are installed in-line. I didn't know if yours comes with the load balancers with the purchase or if it required a separate purchase. It sounds like it is a separate purchase.

Thanks again!

Oh, ok! You do have the option of including them with your order for a very discounted price, but since some vehicles use flashers, some don't need resistors, and some already have their own resistors, we don't include them with every order. Thanks!

Just some feedback about Diode Dynamics -
    I have the HIDs, dual color switchback turn signals, dome lights, and license plate LEDs. They're all amazing!
    Here's a comparison on my Genesis with stock bulb. The cell phone pic makes it look blue, but it's really bright white.

if anyone is interested, I can post before and after videos (they're on my YouTube) of the flasher module to correct Hyper Blinking. I also have a comparison of stock vs. LED turn signals (with module correction) and they blink at exact same pace as stock bulbs. Again, on my Genesis, not Veloster.
    Last edited by majik; 12-08-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
    Veloster Facebook Group

You don't have to post the video here (unless you just want to), but a link to the video would be helpful to me. I want to convert to LEDs on my V, but want to know if I should order the flasher module or not. As DD said, they are not always required, but in my experience, I always needed them.

Thanks!

As you wish

without flasher module

with flasher module
    2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
    Veloster Facebook Group

side by side
    stock vs. LED (w/flasher) - flashing at same pace. The incandescent bulb lingers longer, but the exact same video length has the exact same number of flashes.
    AlienPrime likes this.
    2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
    Veloster Facebook Group

just got my stage 3's the other day. LOVE THEM!!!

Thanks for the vids Majik!
    sbuxreg and majik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanUncleBuck View Post
    Looking at the manual the install doesn't look difficult. I am ordering the double LED set and some interior LEDs.
    When I did the install, I discovered that the bulb orientation (Left lamp point Left, Right lamp points Right) illuminated only the corners of the plate. By swapping the plastic fixtures, the LEDs, whose light is much more directional than the incandescent lamps, both pointed toward the middle of the plate which was much better looking. BTW, I saw in one of the HM docs that one should remove the plastic cover on the back edge of the cargo area and push the license plate lights out of the bumper. I just lay down below the lights and with two very small screwdrivers, depressed the release lever and did a little prying on the lamp fixture. Came right out. Also, the HM doc said to pull the bulb holder straight out. Try a 1/4 turn CCW before you pull. Will work much better. And for the final tip, turn on the tail lights before you put the bulb back in the fixture. LEDs only light one when inserted one way. Save yourself the trouble of doing it twice because you inserted the bulb the 'wrong' way first time.
    Good luck, --ken

Quote Originally Posted by majik View Post
    Just some feedback about Diode Dynamics -
    I have the HIDs, dual color switchback turn signals, dome lights, and license plate LEDs. They're all amazing!
    Here's a comparison on my Genesis with stock bulb. The cell phone pic makes it look blue, but it's really bright white.

This is what I meant about only the corners illuminated. Take out the light fixtures again and swap them right for left and see the difference. The center of the plate will brighten up. Guess I should have taken pictures both ways but didn't think about it out in the (cold) garage when I did it a couple of weeks ago. thanks.
    -- - ken=Boston Red (Carmen)-basic-DCT-LEDs interior+plate

hey guys, I think this picture is more accurate.. you know, considering it's actually on a V ;D

it'd work better without a "novelty tag cover", but oh well:P

btw, this is the stage 3 pkg.

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NovaVeloster; 01-02-2012 at 02:40 AM.

I got my stage 3 LED plate lights a few days ago and I love em. Definitely worth the few bucks they were!!
    VORTEX

2012 Veloster M/T-Marathon Blue-Tech/Style Package
    Performance Mods:
    - TurboKits.com CAI
    - TurboKits.com ABE
    - NGM Lowering Springs
    - Billet Pro Shop Short Shifter
    - Garage Line 15mm/20mm Wheel Spacers
    - Continental Extreme Contact DWS 215/40ZR18

Interior Mods:
    - 15% Window Tint
    - DiodeDynamics.com Stage 2 Interior Led Kit

Exterior Mods:
    - Rear Emblem Delete
    - Two-Tone Mirrors
    - 8000K HID Low Beams
    - 8000K HID Fog Lights
    - DiodeDynamics.com Stage 3 Plate Lights
    - Vanity Plate: V0RTEX

KEKinSTL - I don't mean to discredit what you're saying, but please realize that the picture you're referencing has been edited. I "smudged" the license plate to remove my letters/numbers from it. I didn't add or remove any lighting, but smearing the numbers out did mess with the appearance of the direction of the lights. They really do light up the entire license plate area. The picture was for a photo contest (that required a picture at a gas station) and I was trying to highlight the aftermarket LED tail lights rather than the license plate lights. I just thought the picture was an adequate representation to post here.

Here is another pic, however it was taken with my cell phone and much lower quality. The light DOES light up the entire license plate, but the top corners of the plate reflect brighter causing the picture to downplay the light on the rest of the plate.
    Perhaps the light shining on the ground is more of an indicator of the power and spread of the lights.
    2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
    Veloster Facebook Group

There's a bit of an argument here for no reason.... LOL!

The Genesis Coupe uses a different license plate housing than the Veloster (and Kia Soul, actually).

The Veloster and Soul use an angled housing, where the bulb actually goes in at an angle. The Genesis Coupe uses a straight housing, so the light is evenly dispersed. So yes, you just want to make sure you have the housings pointing the right way when you reinstall them for the Veloster.

There's a bit of an argument here for no reason.... LOL!

The Genesis Coupe uses a different license plate housing than the Veloster (and Kia Soul, actually).

The Veloster and Soul use an angled housing, where the bulb actually goes in at an angle. The Genesis Coupe uses a straight housing, so the light is evenly dispersed. So yes, you just want to make sure you have the housings pointing the right way when you reinstall them for the Veloster.
    This is my last word on this. (I promise) the picture is worth...
    My plate looked pretty uneven before I exchanged the housings. This is how they look now. On a V, in the garage, in the evening. Ciao --ken
    Name:  LedPlateAfterSwitchRtAndLeft400.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  23.3 KB
    -- - ken=Boston Red (Carmen)-basic-DCT-LEDs interior+plate

These are all easy plug and play and guaranteed a perfect fit!
    Paul
    I bought the kit, this is NOT the bulb in my license plate fixture.
    Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 02-03-2012 at 06:18 PM.

It's one of those three based on which kit you purchased. These are the correct bulbs- we tested them in person on a new Veloster just about 2 months ago.
    DIODE DYNAMICS
    Performance Lighting Upgrades

Click For: -Veloster Lighting Upgrades-

Support your Veloster.org Lighting Sponsor!

It's one of those three based on which kit you purchased. These are the correct bulbs- we tested them in person on a new Veloster just about 2 months ago.
    I was rear ended a couple of months ago and my rear bumper and both plate light housings replaced. Perhaps the replacement housing is different from the original.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast