NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: after market rear view camera

Question after market rear view camera

any one tried installing an after market backup camera on a base V?
    Black/Black 6MT |07 BMW 328xi 6MT |03 Honda Accord EX V6.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

This is the one thing I wouldn't mind having on my base model. Everything else that available on the upgraded packages are nice, but the backup camera and a leather steering wheel are the two options I wish my base model did have. I'd like to know if anyone knows of any options for this, too.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    VelyC

2012 Hyundai Veloster
    Base Model-DCT (with Hyundai installed fog lights)
    Vitamin C

Quote Originally Posted by malagabee View Post
    any one tried installing an after market backup camera on a base V?
    My dealer said a local company, Car Spa, has installed Hyundai made Nav units in other Hyundai models and may be doing the same for the Veloster (same unit). I have e-mailed them to see if they can do Nac, Backup Camera, and keyless entry/push button start. I'll let you know when they get back to me.

Think I've figured out what I'm going to do here...will require a little ingenuity, but the theory is solid. I'm a former low-voltage guy (read: certified Level 2 Crestron Programmer), with extensive experience in 12v cameras and CCTV.

First, this:

Absolute CAM870 Universal Micro Rear View CMOS Backup Camera

Should be able to hide it in the black section of the rear bumper somewhere near the license plate. I'll need to look more closely at the power draw to decide whether I need to use a relay or not, but would be relatively easy to tap into the reverse light circuit for power.

Route the camera's composite video RCA cable to the vicinity of the AUX jack in the console, then using this:

I should then be able to tap in to pins 4 and 10 on connector B, then BAM! composite video triggered when the car's put into reverse with no visible wiring, at which point it's 2 presses to bring up the aux video screen (once it's unlocked for video while driving, of course.)

Think I know what I just put on my birthday wish list next month. Will take copious amounts of pics when it happens.

Cool !!!!! Can't wait for the pictures. Let us know how it goes so we all can follow.

Do you think the software in the base model is different from the tech model that could make this still not work?

VelyC

2012 Hyundai Veloster
    Base Model-DCT (with Hyundai installed fog lights)
    Vitamin C

Quote Originally Posted by VelyC View Post
    Do you think the software in the base model is different from the tech model that could make this still not work?

Software doesn't have anything to do with this. This just piggybacks a composite video connection onto the existing aux jack that all models have. The "video while driving" unlock code works for all models from what I read in the monster thread elsewhere on the board. The difference between this and the factory version is that the screen switch won't happen automatically. I'm fine with that.

Rythim,

Nice pinout you dug up. I haven't spend alot of time looking for cameras. What do u think of them ones on Ebay for $20 with the wireless tx and rx?

Also can you tell me the video while driving unlock info pls? Thanks alot!

I installed a rearview camera on my Sonata a while back, and plan to do the same on my new Veloster. I haven't yet figured out some of the specifics for the Veloster (I just picked it up a few hours ago) but I'm hoping I can follow the same general scheme as on the Sonata.

If you haven't decided on a camera yet, you might want to check out some of the ones that fit directly onto the license plate bolts. Here's the one I installed on my Sonata: Lock Pick Bar-Cam 221 Rear View Backup Camera - BARCAM221 . And the one I am going to put on the Veloster: http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-Install-Waterproof-Swiveling-Attractive/dp/B003M1M21Y/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3 . Any of them should work, but pay careful attention to the angle of view -- some of the really cheap ones have something useless like 90 degrees. And almost all of them use misleading figures to make it sound like they can see more than they really do. A typical decent camera will show about 135 degrees horizontally.

You might not want to hook it directly to the reverse lights. The power draw is low enough it would probably work fine, but the cabling that comes with the camera probably has video and power bundled together, so when you run the cable up to the front to plug into the head unit you have also already run a power lead. Up front you have more flexibility in how to connect it: you could hook it directly to switched power so it's on all the time the car is on, or put in your own on/off switch, or use a relay connected to the reverse signal. I'm not sure if the V has any fuses that are only powered when in reverse, but if it does that would make it even easier to have it automatically come on when backing up. On the Sonata I hooked it directly to the fusebox which was pretty simple with a fuse extender, so it's on whether I'm in reverse or not. I wanted it that way so I could use it as a blind-spot camera while driving as well as for backing up.

I'm hoping I can follow the same wiring path I followed in the Sonata -- behind the trunk liner on the right side to the main wiring grommet, then down behind the right rear seat to the floorboard, then underneath the plastic trim panels to just underneath the glove box, and then up under/behind the dash to the center console.

Not sure when I'll get started actually installing it, but hopefully pretty soon. I'll definitely take some pics as I go.

Yeah, my whole point was not getting one of the ones that bolt to the license plate because I think those are tacky....just a personal opinion, though, they obviously are well liked by other folks, and to each their own, just not for me. Also, as far as the lead for the camera, yes it has a tandem power wire, but I'll make up my own so that won't be a concern. Tidier that way, and can be custom cut for length. I have a roll of mini-RG59 that I'll use for the video cable, terminated into a BNC balun so as to tie into the aux connector.

No reason I can't tap into the reverse leads for power, though because I only want it on in reverse and don't want to have to flip a switch for that...will probably use a relay anyway, simply because that's how I roll.

Everybody's gonna have their own way of doing stuff to their car, no particular right or wrong way about it. I just thought I'd share my ideas.

Stuff like this is why I've been a gearhead for well over 20 years. The electronic gadgets are an added bonus!

Just curious, were you thinking of a relay up front activated by the reverse signal, or a relay in the back activated by the reverse light wire?

I don't know anything about the camera you linked but it looks very interesting. Hard to know without some user reviews. The one big advantage I liked about the license-mount cams is that if a particular camera wasn't to my liking I could replace it without worrying about fixing any mounting holes I had made for a specific camera. But you could probably find plenty of other cameras that would fit in that same size hole if it became necessary.

One thing worth mentioning for others following this thread is that the 170 degree spec on that camera is almost certainly a "diagnonal" measurement, so to put it in more useful terms it is most likely around 135 horizontal and 101 vertical. Which is pretty typical, just not what people sometimes are expecting in terms of side-to-side view.

Quote Originally Posted by Volund View Post
    Just curious, were you thinking of a relay up front activated by the reverse signal, or a relay in the back activated by the reverse light wire?

Honestly, I haven't looked that closely at a wiring diagram to make that determination, but my first thought was to hide a relay behind the trim in the hatch area wherever the lighting harness runs and tap in to the reverse 12v there to trigger the relay. Still would have to run a proper dedicated power back there for the camera, so it might be just as logical to tie in up front.

All still at the drawing board stage here, I just like the stealth look of the flush-mount camera...also makes it less likely to get yanked off in a parking lot somewhere. I have a similar one used in the front door station on my house (when the doorbell is rung, my living room TV switches to the camera view), but it's not the same manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythim View Post
    Honestly, I haven't looked that closely at a wiring diagram to make that determination, but my first thought was to hide a relay behind the trim in the hatch area wherever the lighting harness runs and tap in to the reverse 12v there to trigger the relay. Still would have to run a proper dedicated power back there for the camera, so it might be just as logical to tie in up front.
    That's what I was wondering about. If you have to run a power cable from up front anyway, it might be much simpler to handle everything there (unless there is some easy source of constant 12v in the hatch somewhere). If the V has a fuse dedicated to the reverse lights, you could just tap in right there. Could still use a relay if desired, but a "piggyback" fuse would I think be just as good. Use the piggyback tail for the positive lead and tie the negative lead to any convenient ground point, and it should automatically power up when in reverse.

For those not familiar with a piggyback, its a little piece that lets you add a second fuse on top of an existing one creating a parallel circuit, e.g. Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

I like the wirless types that has a transmitter and a receiver so there's no wires to run from the back of the car to the front. The transmitter gets hooked up to the revers lights so the transmitter and camera get power only when the car is put in reverse. There are 2 types of receivers I've seen. One type needs to be hardwired to the 12V source like a cigarette lighter socket. The 2nd type can get power from an adapter with cigarett lighter plug on one end and a mini usb connector on the end that plugs into the RX. Although the install may not be totally clean since the receiver maynot be totally hidden from sight but for a lazy person like me it might just work.

One thing I'm not sure is how to enable the video display when the parking brake is not in use. Any clues?

Interesting thread. Will follow
    Electrolyte Green Veloster DCT w/Style. AKA Fiona

"
    We have, I fear, confused power with greatness" ~Stewart Udall

Brotip # 1312: Age isn't always a measure of wisdom. Sometimes a younger bro knows more than an older one.

Enabling the video display is easy, see this thread: Test Code / Head Unit Development Thread

I haven't seen any of the wireless setups myself, but the reviews of them (at least the less expensive ones) are generally terrible. The screen is usually small and interference seems to be a big issue. That doesn't mean there aren't any good ones of course, just that a lot of people are disappointed with the "simple" ones.

I have a roll of mini-RG59 that I'll use for the video cable, terminated into a BNC balun so as to tie into the aux connector.
    I've been trying to decide how to connect to the head unit while leaving the aux jack free. Are you thinking of mounting a BNC connector that is tied to the Conn B pins 4/10, so there is basically the BNC jack and the aux jack both connected in parallel? Is there a concern with having another device plugged into the aux jack while the camera is active?

I wonder what pin3 Aux detend does. . . if it has anything to do with getting the signal regarding parking brake.

Think I've figured out what I'm going to do here...will require a little ingenuity, but the theory is solid. I'm a former low-voltage guy (read: certified Level 2 Crestron Programmer), with extensive experience in 12v cameras and CCTV.

First, this:

Absolute CAM870 Universal Micro Rear View CMOS Backup Camera

Should be able to hide it in the black section of the rear bumper somewhere near the license plate. I'll need to look more closely at the power draw to decide whether I need to use a relay or not, but would be relatively easy to tap into the reverse light circuit for power.

Route the camera's composite video RCA cable to the vicinity of the AUX jack in the console, then using this:

I should then be able to tap in to pins 4 and 10 on connector B, then BAM! composite video triggered when the car's put into reverse with no visible wiring, at which point it's 2 presses to bring up the aux video screen (once it's unlocked for video while driving, of course.)

Think I know what I just put on my birthday wish list next month. Will take copious amounts of pics when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Volund View Post
    I've been trying to decide how to connect to the head unit while leaving the aux jack free. Are you thinking of mounting a BNC connector that is tied to the Conn B pins 4/10, so there is basically the BNC jack and the aux jack both connected in parallel? Is there a concern with having another device plugged into the aux jack while the camera is active?
    Shouldn't be any concerns with having both tied in parallel. You can "Y" composite video to your heart's content with very little degradation in quality (composite is already pretty horrid quality as it is. ) The only way I could possibly see there being an issue was if you were trying to send video from BOTH the camera and the front of the aux jack at the same time...it would probably try to render both, thereby making the picture unviewable. Wouldn't hurt anything, just wouldn't render.

I was thinking BNC because those baluns are easy to come up with at stores that sell security supplies and are relatively inexpensive, plus I still have some BNC terminations left in my tool bag from back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by malagabee View Post
    I wonder what pin3 Aux detend does. . . if it has anything to do with getting the signal regarding parking brake.
    No idea there...All I know is that even if you don't have anything tied to the aux pigtail the head unit knows the pigtail is plugged in, so that may be related. Before I go tying in to anything I'm going to remove/unplug the whole aux panel from the dash and break out my meter to verify exactly what pin goes to which tip/ring of each RCA connector.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements