NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How to: Install a Backup Camera in your Veloster

Lightbulb How to: Install a Backup Camera in your Veloster

Some of us aren't lucky enough to find a V with the tech package, so here's an install guide for the backup camera.

This would have made my life a lot easier, so I hope that this can help you guys out.

Install an Aftermarket Camera in the Veloster

Warning

This install is not super easy. You're going to have to take apart parts of your car, take out your head unit, tap wires and reassemble. If this seems like it's over your head, do yourself a favor and go to Best Buy. They'll install it for $75.
    You're probably going to break one thing or another, so just make sure you're up for that.

The Equipment

The first step is to order your camera. I went with this OEM one from Auto Spa Tech: Hyundai Veloster Factory Fit Backup / Rear View Camera
    Not only were they the cheapest deal for the camera, but their service is outstanding. If you run into any problems, they cna walk you right through it. The owner even helped me out on Sunday, even though they were closed. These guys are definitely the place to buy from.
    This housing replaces your left licesnse light camera. No drilling is required for the install.

Tools

The nice thing about this install is that you don't really need much. You will need:
    • Screwdriver
    • Pry tool (perfereably plastic so you don't scratch things up like I did)
    • Documents and pictures printed out - Print these PDF's- Files.zip it will make your life a lot easier. These are Hyundai's instructions (props to x_Diesel_x)
    Prep

First thing to do is layout all your components and make sure everything is there. Get everything together and don't start unless you have everything (inculding the taps).

Take apart the Car

Next step is to take apart the car. This is pretty easy, just be careful and consult with the PDF's above on how to remove certain plastic parts.
    Start by taking out all of the parts to the trunk, including the cover that lifts up.

Trunk

Remove the screws to take out the hooks. This will allow the side panels to be opened slightly

Take off the rear panel

Use your pry tool to carefully lift up this panel. All of the plastic pins are on top. Once this is off, remove the screws underneath that are holding the side panels in place.

Careful

I actually cracked mine because I pulled it from the side (bad idea)

Open Trunk

Once that's all off you should have something like this

Rear door trim

Pry off the rear door trim.
    You'll need to take one screw out for this step, it's pretty annoying to get to since you have to pull back the seat cushion.

Passenger Trim

This Panel also comes off pretty easily with your pry tool

Remove the Glove Box

This is actually the easiest step in the world and requires no tools.
    1. Turn the two locks on the sides of the glove box counter clockwise and pull them out
    2. The little bar on the right is hooked up to this little pin. Pull it off so the glove box can fall down further.
    3. The glove box is connected via 2 hinges with a plastic pin in the middle, just reach in and pull the pins out with your fingers
    Removing the Center Fascia

This is one of the most annoying parts of this install. You have to take off the vent assembly in order to get to the head unit.
    The best way to do this is to start on the top of the passenger side with your pry tool just in the corner closest to the cd drive. It will be tough to get off, and you will have to yank a little (but don't be too aggressive or you may damage the piece.

Careful

Be careful that you don't screw up the dash like I did

Remove the head unit

Once the vent is out and the plugs are unplugged, you'll have to remove 4 screws to remove the head unit. Make sure they don't fall when you take the out.

Wire it up and Test the camera

Read the instructions that came and hook up your camera harness to the plug that is on the bottom left of the head unit. The yellow compnent cable hooks up to the camera for the video feed
    All of the above wiring directions are relating to the rightmost cable harness on the right of the head unit to hook up the Low Voltage Trigger Module

Low Voltage Trigger Module

This guy controls the show, and must be hooked up exactly as directed. This is not easy if you have never done this sort of thing before.
    Yellow- Power - 24V Constant
    Black - Ground for Camera and taps into ground connector
    Blue- Power to camera (red)
    Green - CAN LO (Pin 24)

Do not hook up the camera to the reverse tail light, it won't work (believe me, I tried).
    Use the included wire taps to hook this guy up to the wires that are coming out of that main harness.

Turn on the car and test

If you hooked up everything right, when you put the car in reverse, you'll see the camera image.
    If that doesn't work, try the reset button on the head unit. If it still doesn't work, try, try again, until you have to go to Best Buy (like I did)

Install the camera

Disconnect all of the wires to the camera and head to the back of the car.
    Use your pry tool to remove the left license plate light. It should pop right out.
    Spin the light bulb feed counter clockwise until you can pull the bulb right our of the housing. Put that housing aside.

Insert the bulb into the camera housing and turn clockwise to lock it in place.

Run the Wires

You will need to run 3 wires from the back of the car to the head unit
    1. Video Feed Wire (included)
    2. Camera Power (not included)
    3. Camera Ground (not included)
    Run the wires from:
    1. Behind the dash,
    2. Through the back of the glove box
    3. Under the passenger door
    4. Under the rear door
    5. behind the back seats
    6. Over to the driver side
    7. Through that side Panel
    8. Into this small little gomet covered by a rubber sealant on the back of the car
    Once you feed the wires in there, you'll have to crawl under the rear bumper to pull them through the license plate light hole.

Hook Up the Camera

Hook up the camera and pop it into place. It should look like this.
    Make sure you don't have extra slack dangling under your bumper. Use zipties to secure any wire slack.

Test again and Close her up.

Test the camera one more time to make sure all is good.
    Screw the head unit back in and put all of those plastic pieces back on. Reassemble your trunk and you're good to go!

Conclusion

The camera is really great and well worth the investment. The car doesn't have such great visibility in the rear and this really helps you get every inch out of your parking spots.
    I highly reccomend putting one into your car. If you're uncomfortable doing the install, let the pros do it for a couple of bucks more. You can really screw up in the process (like I did by blowing a fuse and totally killing the head unit).
    Have fun and enjoy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Holy Sh!t. Well done.
    Great How To...
    2012 Base Vit C
    Full Kustom F100 in my avitar
    37 Ford Hot Rod
    65 Ranchero mild Kustom
    49 Pontiac mild Kustom fastback

Awesome. I plan on installing a backup camera and your guide will definitely come in handy. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Well done OP very nice
    Cookie Monster-2013 Marathon Blue Veloster Turbo-Auto-Converted To Blue Interior,BD Customs FMIC, 2.5 in. Catless DP & CAI, NGM Coilovers, Hi/Lo/Fog HIDS, LEDS, Magnaflow Exhaust,Forge BOV,65A Poly Engine Mounts,Poly Exhaust Hangers,Import Shark STB,Maintec Torsion Bar, "Veloster Turbo" Acrylic Plates,Gold Rota P45 18x8 Kuhmo 4X 225/40/18s,Sequence Devil Claws,KDM Headlights, Weathertech Mats And Visors, TurboXS Billet Oil Cap

2009 Performance White Shelby GT500-725 Rwhp 676 Rwtrq- SOLD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Didn't read through it thoroughly but looks very well put together. Good job!
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

I gotta get one of these. My girlfriend has one in her 2013 Elantra and I'm jealous.
    Ultra Black V with red & black interior, 6 speed manual with style package.
    Born on 4/1/12, mine on 6/2/12.
    Diode Dynamics Stage 3 Interior kit and License lamps.
    Insys CAI.

Very impressive documentation, and good work!
    This thread will wind up down in DIY where all the screwdriver and wrench folks hang out, but for now it can get some traction here.

BTW just an editing point, you refer to it in the text as OEM, it's not actually OEM
    Last edited by dianebrat; 12-18-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    BluMeanie likes this.
    off to the the dark side

*bookmarked* :thumbsup:
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual

Did anyone look into the factory back-up camera in the lift gate? If the wiring is already present it's possible that it's as simple as a plug and play like the automatic headlight?

edit: Part number:

CAMERA ASSEMBLY - BACK VIEW. RELAY & MODULE ((BACK WARN''G CAMERA). ). 2013 Hyundai VELOSTER # 957602V000

Also there's a separate outer hatch latch assembly part that shows an integrated camera:

GARNISH ASSEMBLY - TAILGATE. TAIL GATE TRIM ((BACK WARN''G CAMERA). ). 2013 Hyundai VELOSTER # 873702V010

I'm going to take the rear hatch trim off and see if the wiring is already present for the backup camera. The service website seems to indicate that, if a wiring harness is present, that the backup camera on the hatch latch would be a simple plug and play.
    Last edited by The HACK; 12-18-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Wouldn't the camera be more centered if it was put on the right side?

Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
    Did anyone look into the factory back-up camera in the lift gate? If the wiring is already present it's possible that it's as simple as a plug and play like the automatic headlight?

edit: Part number:

CAMERA ASSEMBLY - BACK VIEW. RELAY & MODULE ((BACK WARN''G CAMERA). ). 2013 Hyundai VELOSTER # 957602V000

Also there's a separate outer hatch latch assembly part that shows an integrated camera:

GARNISH ASSEMBLY - TAILGATE. TAIL GATE TRIM ((BACK WARN''G CAMERA). ). 2013 Hyundai VELOSTER # 873702V010

I'm going to take the rear hatch trim off and see if the wiring is already present for the backup camera. The service website seems to indicate that, if a wiring harness is present, that the backup camera on the hatch latch would be a simple plug and play.
    Not sure if the wiring is there, but the install process would be similar.

Also, this camera was $200, that hyundai one is like $700 - not really worth it IMO

Quote Originally Posted by toried94 View Post
    Wouldn't the camera be more centered if it was put on the right side?
    Yes, it would, but the camera is a wide angle lens, so it's not too bad actually.

The angle that the bulb comes in matches to the left light. It could work on the other side, but the wire would have to be extended a little (not sure how much slack there is and if it actually fits)

Quote Originally Posted by zolihonig View Post
    Not sure if the wiring is there, but the install process would be similar.

Also, this camera was $200, that hyundai one is like $700 - not really worth it IMO
    Actually, if the wiring is already present, installation would just be removing the rear hatch trim and removing the hatch handle, install camera, reinstall, done. And the camera is listed for $250, the camera with the hatch handle is $700.

Actually, if the wiring is already present, installation would just be removing the rear hatch trim and removing the hatch handle, install camera, reinstall, done. And the camera is listed for $250, the camera with the hatch handle is $700.
    If that's actually the case, I'd really be surprised (and feel a little dumb) but if you think you can get it... Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by zolihonig View Post
    If that's actually the case, I'd really be surprised (and feel a little dumb) but if you think you can get it... Go for it!
    I'm going to take the rear hatch trim off this weekend and remove the hatch handle to inspect the existing wiring. The fact that ALL the existing wiring for the automatic headlight is present, as well as the harness for the sensor, gives me *some* hope that the necessary wiring already exist for the back up camera as well. Will report back regarding the finding.

But according to the service website, the wiring harness for the camera, IF PRESENT, already has the video, power, and the signal built in. By the way, when you took off the 24 pin harness that plugs into the 2ndary harness for the video, were there wires present on the existing harness for pin #1, #3, #13 and #15? If there is, then there's already wires present in the existing harness leading to SOMEWHERE and would indicate that there's a high probability the wiring already exist on the car.

If you have a picture of the harness marked "C" in the instruction, do you mind posting it? I just spoke with the local parts counter guy and he confirmed that the part number 957602V000 is for a REPLACEMENT backup camera, not the accessory backup camera.

EDIT: From the looks of this, at least there'll be some drilling involved to install in the OEM hatch location, if the camera doesn't already exist.

Last edited by The HACK; 12-18-2012 at 02:51 PM.

If you have a picture of the harness marked "C" in the instruction, do you mind posting it? I just spoke with the local parts counter guy and he confirmed that the part number 957602V000 is for a REPLACEMENT backup camera, not the accessory backup camera.
    I don't have any pics of the harness, but I did find this one on here previously

Name:  ReverseTriggerWire.jpg
Views: 8988
Size:  1.00 MB

Thanks, that looks like pins 1-4 and the bottom bank, 13-16 are blank. Hm...

Looks like I'm going to have to crack open the rear trim panel on the hatch this weekend. Keeping fingers crossed.

EDIT: Read that picture wrong. The harness appears to be the two MAIN harness. The 3rd wire (the spliced one) is the one that provides the reverse signal. According to the service diagram(s), on the back of the unit there's only 6 wires being used for the lower right harness, and they're ALL being used for the back-up camera. See diagram(s):

How to: Install a Backup Camera in your Veloster-back_of_headunit_veloster.gifHow to: Install a Backup Camera in your Veloster-veloster_radio_connector_layout.gif

Again, opening the back hatch this weekend (or the next few days if I'm not too busy with Holiday plans) will confirm everything, and if the wiring does exist, I'm going to order the replacement camera from Hyundai, then measure the hole that needs to be drilled on the hatch handle cover, then attempt the install...Probably sometime next year.

Will report back on my findings.
    Last edited by The HACK; 12-18-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Kudos on the write up! Very well put together.

Tho I cringed when I saw those indents made to the dashboard. Also we're did you go wrong? What caused that fuse blow? What did Best
    Buy have to do?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Autoguide
    -- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

Quote Originally Posted by x_Diesel_x View Post
    Kudos on the write up! Very well put together.

Tho I cringed when I saw those indents made to the dashboard. Also we're did you go wrong? What caused that fuse blow? What did Best
    Buy have to do?
    Yeah I didn't really have a perfect Pry Tool, was using a metal paint can opener. Should have spent $10 and got a kit. Stupid move. That plastic dash is not very hard.

I was confused as to how to hook up the camera to the cable harness, I thought you had to take the pins out and wire it that way (don't try that). In the process of doing that I must have shorted something and blew a fuse which killed the head unit, BT, radio, etc. Had to go to Best Buy for them to replace it and fix it all up. I was really nervous that I seriously screwed up my car after I did that.

Since the car was basically half way open, they only charged me 30 bucks (plus I helped the guy take off all the panels since I had just done it).

I see.

Yeah, definitely worth it to buy a set of plastic trim tools. Have one on the list before I tackle that challenge.

Although I was looking at an option that is "wireless" plus replaces the rearview mirror with one with an integrated monitor. And since mine does not have "BlueLink" I'm really not loosing anything. Cheaper than the OEM too.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Autoguide
    -- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements