76K views 53 replies 34 participants last post by  gudgirlfl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Issue: Fan motor not responding to position switch setting
Repeat?: First issue of any kind with HVAC
Model: Tech with Auto
Mileage: about 7800
Bought: May 2012
Built: Feb 2012

Yesterday I got in the car, started it up, and the fan motor didn't seem to be on(A/C mode Max and Recirc). I moved the speed dial around, and it only worked on 3. I turned the car off and then back on. The fan motor worked, but not with the dial on position 4. When turned to 4, the HVAC system would shut off like in position 0. Jiggling the dial a little in pos 4 did nothing. If I turned the dial back towards 3, the whole system would kick back at 4th speed. I also found that if I pushed down on the dial in position 2(straight up), the fan speed would drop to about the speed of the 1. Let up on the dial, and the fan would speed back up. I only noticed this because I was wiggling the dial at various speeds to see if it seemed to be a loose connection electrical problem.

I'll see what the dealer has to say. I would assume that a replacement switch/module is in order.

See less See more
#35 ·
My switch started dying about 3 months ago in my 2012 with 132k. I smelled something like burnt wires, then the switch turned intermittent with 2 and 4 working, then days later 3 and 4, then when the temp turned to 102 degrees, nothing. I pulled the trim and saw that the connector and wire to the switch was melted. So, with the warranty gone, my only option is to get a switch from somewhere. The problem I see with changing out the unit is that won't fix ALL of the problems, since the wires melted as well. Auto part Wheel Clutch Gear Rim
Electronics Electronic component Technology
Technology Transistor Circuit component Electronic device Electronic component
Auto part Technology Automotive lighting Engine Vehicle

I sent an email to hyundai on 10 July 2019 and asked it they new there is a problem somewhere in the wiring is this system, and seems to be systemic. Awaiting reply.

#37 ·
Let me know if you got it fixed/replaced? I have a 2013 VT and my switch is starting to falter (1/2 finally failed and 3/4 are still working). I was watching youtube videos and noticed that the Blower Switch is what people replaced the most but not sure what the part # even is.

Doing some research, it seems that newer models fixed the issue? So questions for anyone were:

1. Should I just go ahead and get a whole new kit?

.2 Or is there a place I can try and replace the switch? I can't find anywhere with the part # or where to get one.

Definitely don't want to go back to the dealership since they are charging an arm and a leg to replace it.

My switch started dying about 3 months ago in my 2012 with 132k. I smelled something like burnt wires, then the switch turned intermittent with 2 and 4 working, then days later 3 and 4, then when the temp turned to 102 degrees, nothing. I pulled the trim and saw that the connector and wire to the switch was melted. So, with the warranty gone, my only option is to get a switch from somewhere. The problem I see with changing out the unit is that won't fix ALL of the problems, since the wires melted as well. View attachment 124532 View attachment 124534 View attachment 124536 View attachment 124538 View attachment 124540
I sent an email to hyundai on 10 July 2019 and asked it they new there is a problem somewhere in the wiring is this system, and seems to be systemic. Awaiting reply.

#36 · (Edited)
Your best bet is to send your pictures into NHTSA. If there are enough people who complain about their cars almost catching fire, they will look into the matter and make Hyundai recall the switch. Trust me, I have seen a lot of issues with this switch

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

#40 ·
I don;t know what Hyundai is waiting for, someone to die in a fire caused by this thing? Keep sending in your pictures and filing a complaint to NHTSA. Also keep your receipts if you fix this issue on your own. If it does come down to a recall, you'll get the money back from Hyundai and your complaints just might save someones life(s).

Reactions: jkt1954
#41 ·
Here is another person having problems. Popped up on FB

#42 ·
My hvac also went out around 70000 miles. Took dash apart and found this BS. Contacted Hyundai of America main office with these pics and pointed out that their use of inferior gage wiring for the amps going through them was going to get someone killed. They sent an email inferring that they’d foot the bill to replace it. Their rep called me after 5 the next day when I was already at work, and I called back to leave the best times to contact me. She proceeded to call 4 or 5 more times all at times outside of the time frame I’d given. Usually after I was already at work. Then I received the email..

Attachments

#45 ·
View attachment 131975 My hvac also went out around 70000 miles. Took dash apart and found this BS. Contacted Hyundai of America main office with these pics and pointed out that their use of inferior gage wiring for the amps going through them was going to get someone killed. They sent an email inferring that they’d foot the bill to replace it. Their rep called me after 5 the next day when I was already at work, and I called back to leave the best times to contact me. She proceeded to call 4 or 5 more times all at times outside of the time frame I’d given. Usually after I was already at work. Then I received the email.. View attachment 131978
View attachment 131975 My hvac also went out around 70000 miles. Took dash apart and found this BS. Contacted Hyundai of America main office with these pics and pointed out that their use of inferior gage wiring for the amps going through them was going to get someone killed. They sent an email inferring that they’d foot the bill to replace it. Their rep called me after 5 the next day when I was already at work, and I called back to leave the best times to contact me. She proceeded to call 4 or 5 more times all at times outside of the time frame I’d given. Usually after I was already at work. Then I received the email.. View attachment 131978
Hi can I please have that same phone number you just call ? Thanks

#50 ·
Same issue with my daughters car 2016 turbo. Car is out of warranty 90,000 miles and when I called Hyundai customer care they state there is not a recall on any AC knobs/heater knobs or control unit switch. The TSB that I found 16-01-070 - Hyundai states that is not their campaign and it is not valid. Parts are $450 and labor is $200 at local dealership. Does anyone have the Hyundai recall number I can reference?

#51 ·
you can swap that out on your own in about 30 minutes to be honest...

Reactions: cutiecar
#54 ·
Mine just went out completely. I can't get the ac fan blower to come on at all. I have a 2013 Veloster Turbo. I'm a single female and I don't have $500+ for the dealership to fix. What are my best options? I've read posts in forums and watched YouTube videos on replacing different things, but I don't even know where to begin. I live in SW Florida..... even though we're in January, air conditioning is definitely needed! Tonight it was raining and I couldn't defog my windshield because of this fan blower issue. It's quite annoying! Your suggestions are welcomed......