Veloster Forum banner

Sunroof open is really noisy

9K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  pamrody 
#1 ·
Living in Canada as I do, I have only just started to open my sunroof. With temps currently in the 20'sC it would be lovely to drive with the sunroof open, after all that is what it is for. But now comes my first big disappointment of the V. It is too bloody noisy!!

It is almost impossible to have it open on the highway and not much better on country roads. The wind noise is impossible.

Is there a problem with just mine, or have other found this too?

#2 ·
I noticed that on my test drive of a style package, and since I always like to drive with the windows down and as open as possible. I opted for a base model without the sunroof since anything over 35mph made it damn near impossible to hear anything.

#3 ·
Lol all opened sunroof with high wind will have wind. It doesn't bother me at all I'm profound deaf ?

#4 ·
I just push up on the roof control to lift the back. It gives fresh air without all the noise of the open blow hole. I also get the advantage of sun protection because I have the roof tinted to 10%.

#10 ·
Haven't tested it yet on the open road die to bad weather but now that it's cooler and sunny I'll try it this WE as I'm currently away from home... Can't wait to drive my V again... Coach driver... ( bus driver)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#14 ·
I have only had my V a few days but have been able to open the roof every day thanks to good weather. i don't really see that it is much louder than other cars with an open sunroof. My wife has a 2012 Chevy Equinox with the sunroof and I really don't notice much of a difference. There are aftermarket wind deflectors for most cars that cut down on the wind and if it is that loud you could always look into one of those. My dealer offered the deflector but I didn't see a need for it

#15 ·
+1 on the wind noise. It has to do with the front lower edge of the sunroof and the deflection of air off the winshield in combination of the bug screen. I must say my GSR is amazingly quite in comparison. All you hear is a very low pitched breath of continual air about maybe as loud as a moderately deep breathed exhale. It's very livable at speeds up to triple digits.

#16 · (Edited)
It's the silly "bug screen" that gives it the loudest noise. this is much louder than my wife's Tucson sun roof fully open. This one rivals my Jeep with the top off. I don't use it open on the highway, I just use the tilt option until I'm below highway speeds.

Maybe the deflector is the way to go...

Oh, and while we are on the subject of sunroofs... why did Hyundai not give us the option of automatically closing the roof when the key is turned off. I've left it open 2 nights in a row. :OP

#17 ·
Two cars back I had a Mini S and the sunroof on that car could be left open at any speed, some noise but not really LOUD like the V.

The noise isn't a big problem for me. I have left it open over night once though, it would be cool if it would close when the car is turned off, if desired.

#19 ·
It is not just your sunroof. Mine is the same way. Live in AZ. and when on the freeway doing 55-65 mph it is extremely noisy. I cannot even hear the music or myself think. Most sunroofs I have had in the past slide back and then tilt so the wind is deflected on the tilt.
when you open the sunroof all of the way, the roof is in a raised flat position so the wind goes over and under the sunroof. If it were tilted when opened I don't think it would make as much noise. Also, the car is closer to the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.