Veloster Forum banner

Cruise Control Bug | DCT Transmission

9K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  walteramie 
#1 ·
I just got back to the office from the Service Department at my Hyundai Dealer. I had in another thread spoken about the sudden change in how the cruise control has started acting on a particular hilly part of my drive home (interstate driving) and the fact that it didn't have an issue the first 60 days but now does. Well, here's the word from Hyundai:

It has been brought to their attention that there is an issue with the Dual Clutch system and the cruise totally shutting off (actually basically putting the transmission in neutral when it does shut down), in hilly areas of the country. The tech at my local dealer spent 20 minutes on the phone with Hyundai Tech. They informed him they are working on the issue and a fix, not sure how long it will be, but as soon as they have it, a recall/TSB will be issued.

So there it is, not my imagination, it's an issue recurring. Just wanted to share.

#4 ·
Bennett Import Motors, Great Falls, MT....and let me tell you, so far, they're the best. Had a call from my sales person yesterday, wanted to know if they'd gotten the issue with my Cruise fixed. I told him what they had told me, and he said "I'll make sure others around here are aware of it, and will keep an eye out for the fix to come through and will make sure I call you as well". 3 Days after I had the car in for it's first Check N Change, I had a call from the service department wanting to know if all was well (this was before I took it in for the cruise control issue and that's when I scheduled it back in for the cruise thing. Don't think service like that can be beat. Of course it might be helpful that they've only sold 6 of them, and only 2 have stayed in town, the other 3 went out of state and 1 went about 100 miles away....so they may want to keep local good reports. :)

#5 ·
Thanks for the info, a quick question regarding cruise control....should you turn cruise on in a hilly area? I was driving in Berkeley, CA and had cruise on, i realized the hill was making my engine over work so i turned it off and just went to regular driving...it wasted more gas than saved imo...=X any thoughts?

#6 ·
You can easily beat the mileage of Cruise in hilly areas. If you allow speed to drop a little rather than having the transmission jump into the next lower gear, it will save you gas. This is not unique to Veloster DCT, just unique to A/T and Cruise.

#7 ·
OK, some more on the cruise issue. Had a call from the Serv. Mgr at my dealer (man, I'm thinking these guys are great when it comes to customer serv.). Seems they had a call from the Hyundai Tech Center. Wanted to know if I was driving in Eco or normal, and if I was driving in Eco, would I please try it in normal mode and let them know if it persisted. Also told me that the Tech at Hyundai was pulling a Veloster to try and recreate the situation in hilly areas. So, on the way home I did as they asked, put it in normal mode....very same thing happened. Like I've said before I believe, I've never had an automatic do this to me, not even my Ram truck...when it needs to downshift, it downshifts, not kick the cruise off. Anyway, called the Serv. Mgr back this morning to inform him, and he's relaying the info to Hyundai Tech. So...they either believe in jumping on issues overall when they arise, OR they really are concentrating on any issues with Veloster. :)

#8 ·
I had a similar problem with my 2011 Elantra - It wasn't a hilly area, but a few particular places that it would cut off regularly. I rarely drive the highway, so it wasn't a big deal to me. The dealer did check it once and found nothing. The one thing I found in common with the 3 areas that it happened with me was that all 3 of them had radio or cell towers right where it was happening - not sure if it was something for radio waves interfering with the electronics?

#9 ·
Update...and I must say I'm liking the Service Dept at the local Hyundai Dealer (Bennett Import Motors here in Great Falls, MT). A week after I was told the Hyundai tech was going to pull one off the line and try and recreate what was happening with mine, I got a call from the Serv. Dept that they hadn't forgotten me, they were still working on it. A week later I got a call that the tech had been unable to recreate the occurrance and may be coming to Great Falls to actually experience it with my car. The 19th I got a call, the tech is going to come to GF the 26, 27 or 28th of Mar. He'll want my car, may keep it overnight, but wants is coming to find out what the issue is. That kind of service impresses me. All I can say at this point is "GO HYUNDAI". Hopefully I don't end up being disappointed or having raved for naught. :)

#11 ·
I hardly use my cruise control and have to go over a small mountain often, but my question is does your car seem to struggle in changing gears and jump even when you aren't in cruise control? Mine just doesn't seem right. I haven't had an automatic in years, but mine just seems like it struggles bad. I make sure the eco is off before going over the mountain, but it still just doesnt seem right. I've had other issues, but thats another story in another thread.

#12 ·
BMJM12....I haven't had the problem you describe at all. I've been driving mine almost exlusively in ECO since week 2 of owning it. AND, I have to say.....Hyundai hasn't failed me yet. :) The tech arrived from CA on late Tuesday, I left my car with the dealer (and they provided a rental), the tech and the Serv. Mgr spent Wednesday driving my vehicle all over (in fact the Serv. Mgr said I'd probably hear a lot of "saw you all over town Wednesday"), drove the Interstate route I take home daily a couple of times....and figured out what it was. Seems there's a thing called a YAW sensor in/on the transmission...it had an internal problem, at certain % of incline it was reading it as going downhill instead of uphill, so it was kicking into "coast" mode as if it was holding back to control downhill speed. They took one off of one of the new cars on the lot and installed it (so I wouldn't have to wait a couple of days for one to be overnighted in and installed). It's running fine, in fact, seems to have improved the gas mileage as well (slightly, but still improved). My next tank of gas I am going to run off of ECO mode to see what happens gas wise, etc. Once again, I have to say....between the sales staff and the service staff at Bennett Import Motors here in Great Falls, MT and the Hyundai Tech, I am extremely pleased all the way around. :)

#13 ·
My 2012 v that got has the same type of problem. When the car was new I was in sport mode with the cruise control on and in 6th gear going up a hill the cruise kicked off and the car was in a neutral state until I put the shift lever back to drive and the engine kicked down and cruise kicked in again. So I called Hyundai and they said oh that's normal. So with 40, 000 miles on the car yesterday im in sport mode 6th gear in cruise control and the dct kicks down and downshifts on the hill for the first time ever. So I called Hyundai today and the service rep says that's what its supposed to do. Well which service rep was lying to me. Do they mean to tell me my tranny wasn't working right since the car was new. By the way the car went into neutral again in sport mode and while in cruise control again today. Im getting tired of being lied to by Hyundai. Is the ****ing car supposed to come out of cruise or not and if so then is it supposed to do it in sport mode too. And if that's the case Hyundai how come my car actually did shift in cruise in sport mode for the first time yesterday and for 40, 000 miles it just always kicked into neutral. Why cant I get a honest answer ever from this car company. Every ****ing time there is a problem with my car its always oh well its supposed to do that or sorry but that's not covered. Im like listen I even have the extended warrenty from you guys. The cars a big piece of **** and the dealers even worse.

#14 ·
Why would you have it in sports mode and put on cruise control anyways? Of course the car can't downshift in sports mode, because YOU control what gear it's in when you have it in sports. It's just user error the way I see it. Just put it in drive when you're using cruise control. Problem solved.

#16 ·
One reason I put the car in sports mode and set the cruise is at highway speeds say 60 miles per hour I like to keep the car in 6th gear. I cant stand how this dct downshifts for the lil tiny inclines. It always downshifts way to soon and way to often almost always going down to 4th gear when 5th gear was good enough. Revs the motor way to much. I like to keep the rpms around 2000. car purs and the fuel mileage is a lot better. Ps I didn't know that the car would turn the cruise control off while in sport mode , when it did it the first week I had it, I was like why did that happen so I called Hyundai and they said that's the way the dct works with cruise control. So whenever the cruise shuts off now I just put the shifter back into normal drive and the car will downshift and when back up to speed I put the cruise back on and send the shifter to sport mode again and relax. Hears what drives me nuts , yesterday while in cruise and sport mode and going a little uphill the car downshifted by itself. ITs never done that so I called Hyundai today and the service rep said well yeah its supposed to downshift on a hill. I explained to him over and over that why did it all of sudden do it now and he says again its supposed to do that. Okay so for 40, 000 miles my dct didn't work right. Same dealer told me two different stories. I cant win

#17 ·
Walteramie, I would print this thread, or at least the LOUKAT posts and take that to the dealer when you take it in. As I said in the other thread, I've never had the car shut off the cruise control or go into neutral. It may just be this YAW sensor that LOUKAT mentioned. You may have just searched and found your breakthrough. take the post in and have the guy read it.

#19 ·
I like that you are trying to be loyal to that dealership, but I agree. If they jerk you around, move on to the next dealership. The dealership where I bought my car had a great sales staff, but their service department were the laziest sacks I had ever met. The good thing is that in Miami, there are a few dealerships I can go to so I just went to another. And the service there has been great.

#20 ·
Missed my appointement but got another one next week. took the car out for a cruise today and noticed it was down shifting again while in sport mode. But whats weird is I was trying to use the toggles and the shifter to upshift because I cant stand how the car shifts down to 4th gear when 5 or 6 the gear was fine, and guess what they didn't work either and the car just shifted when it felt like it. on the dash were it says what gear the cars in it said d. Usually when im in sport mode it will say what gear im in. So I was getting aggravated and I pulled over and turned the car off for minute. Pulled away and this time while in cruise and in sport mode the car just kicked off the cruise and went into neutral like it always done since new while in a little incline. So basically for some reason the car all of sudden in the last 100 miles is deciding how its wants to shift. I guess it takes the tranny 40, 000 miles to figure out how it wants to shift.

#21 ·
Are you trying to hypermile?

I agree with Tuns tho...I'd never use cruise while in sports mode. You're using an automatic function (in a way) so why not have it in automatic drive.
Hopefully its not a major issue for you when you finally find the route cause!

#22 ·
Hey guys well sunday on my home the dct was making some grinding clicking meshing type noises so I called the dealer and said look I missed the last appointment but now the tranny is sounding really screwed up so he said I can bring it up today. Well I couldn't get the tranny to make that grinding noise again but the tech did notice the car not shifting in sport mode and said he was gonna check a few things and reset the codes in the dct. He test drove the car and said it was okay now. So when I left the dealer I test drove it and sure enough it never shifted in sport mode so I turned around and went back in and said listen this car still aint shifting at all in sport mode and service manager said the tranny dct needs a few days to adjust and reset itself. I think that's riduculous, either it works and shifts or not. Im gonna give it a day or 2 just to please them but i know the dct is screwed up.

#30 · (Edited)
.. the tech did notice the car not shifting in sport mode and said he was gonna check a few things and reset the codes in the dct. ...
service manager said the tranny dct needs a few days to adjust and reset itself. I think that's riduculous, either it works and shifts or not. Im gonna give it a day or 2 just to please them but i know the dct is screwed up.
I drove a DCT and hated it .. I had no faith in it's ability to last 1000 miles let alone 100,000.
As for the SM's response .. he's a tw@t. The TCM does all the learning not the tranny. The reset of the TCM is a remapping of all adaptive settings back to factory. As soon as you drive it away it will feel like it did when you drove it off the lot new. As you drive it around it will relearn your driving habits and adapt and store those settings in it's memory.
I think you need another dealer .. and to talk to Hyundai about all the BS you're being fed.

Cruise control is only for driving on flat open roads. i would never use it in the hills
You can use CC anywhere you want. With an A/T you will find if you use it on hilly roads is it will change down thru the gears earlier than if you were driving yourself and the revs will obviously increase, plus your gas consumption will increase dramatically.

#23 ·
Well went to the dealer again because just 2 weeks ago I had to pay 130.00 bucks to have Hyundai do a bg44 intake cleaning. Car felt good and the knocking noise went away. Well within 2 weeks that knock is back and I went back to Hyundai yesterday and the manager says sorry but theres nothing we can do about the carbon problem. Its a known issue with the di engine he says. I was like okay hear we go again . Im not happy with Hyundai right now. So then I asked them about the dct problem because two weeks ago the tech reset the codes in it and said give it a day or two to relearn . I knew it wasn't gonna work. The manager actually said that's how the tranny works . And then I was like dude listen your wrong . even your own tech said its not right and now your gonna tell me this. The dct in v is very quarky he says. Im like excuse me sir but it doesn't shift its broke and then hes like well I look into it for ya but I cant promise u anything. 4 times ive been to the dealer in a month and I keep getting a different answer. Last week he says were not gonna try and fix the dct we will most likely just replace it and now this week they denigh anything . I don't know what to do anymore. Im so angry.

#25 ·
The dct in v is very quarky he says. Im like excuse me sir but it doesn't shift its broke and then hes like well I look into it for ya but I cant promise u anything. 4 times ive been to the dealer in a month and I keep getting a different answer. Last week he says were not gonna try and fix the dct we will most likely just replace it and now this week they denigh anything .
Dealers usually don't describe the product they're selling as "quirky". And, if it's actually broken and he replied "well I look into it for ya but I cant promise u anything" you need to get on the phone w/ Hyundai and report that you're having problems with a service department. The answers you say he gave you are not acceptable. As J3Vr6 mentioned, you should be going to a different dealer as well. But, be sure to talk to Hyundai corporate.

#27 ·
I have nothing to say about your comment, but Daedalus is the screen name my younger brother uses, and has since the days before the WWW. I saw it and thought for a second maybe he bought a V and didn't tell me. But he doesn't live in the Bay Area. So I guess you're not him.

#32 ·
I was told by dealer to call Hyundai. They said because the dct isn't throwing any codes they cannot help me. Well like I said it doesn't downshift or upshift in sport mode. Also it throws the cruise into a neutral state when it should be downshifting. Another person on hear had the same problem and his dealership changed the yaw censer and it fixed the problem. I mentioned that to my dealer and he said Hyundai doesn't allow them to change parts in the dct . They would just change the whole dct. I found that to be weird because the dealer where that guy got his car changed parts in his. The car has 44,000 miles on it now at 40,000 its downshifted and upshifted in sport mode 2 times. I thought something was wrong with the car so I pulled over and restarted it and drove and again no shift. Also that day the dct made some grinding noises that its never made. I took my dad for a ride who is a mechanic and he said that's not a good sound. It hasn't grinded like that since but still it doesn't upshift or downshift in sport mode and in cruise control. My dealer said to call Hyundai so I guess that's what im gonna have to do. Ps I don't use the cruise in traffic , I use it on highways but when I hit a little incline the car always goes into neutral whenthe car should be downshifting. Also ive been told 3 different stories about the dct. First I was told that this is how the dct works. Then I was told no no theres something wrong then this last time I was told that's the way it is. I plan on calling Hyundai corp in the next few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.