NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AfterMarket SHOCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Roche454 View Post
    you never want to use springs as means of lowering, i understand that cost may be an issue but for a quality product and quality ride you want to go with spindles. its worth the extra cash believe me. i know when i lowered my truck i figured id use springs on the front and it was terrible, when i replaced them with spindles it made a world of difference.
    I partly agree with this opinion, To a Point.... A truck is just that, A truck. It weighs more and has a different road purpose. As long as you do not get overly aggressive with the drop, using coil springs are not only economical, they can also add a level of safety to an automobile. Coil-over suspensions on the other hand, allows the end user Height Preference, and Road Type tun-ability. And as far as Control-Arms And Spindles, your still changing the height dimension of the car, Compacting the Coil, and in most cases, still need to use a shorter coil and shorter shocks. I will agree with you on 1 point though, If I was going to lower a Truck, "and I have." I too, would only use A-arms and or Spindles. If coil only drops where truely a bad decision, Then I guess Hotchkis is the worse Suspension company in the world......But we all know that isn't So. Hotchkis Sport Suspension Attachment 5002
    VELOSTER APPAREL https://plus.google.com/u/0/100445685402074231306/posts

: Official US Copyright Office Registration Information> Of My Silhouette Named.. "Tuner Car Profile" >> VA0001829171 / 2012-07-14

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    There are no aftermarket shocks out yet that I have found. I recall reading somewhere that they do not even have them for the Genesis yet. I guess no love for Hyundai from the shock makers.
    Bilstein makes Genesis Coupe shocks. Available in Euro right now. On their way over to NoAm. Should be in US and Canada during June. Part numbers available and dealers accepting pre-orders.

Bilstein makes the Rhys Millen rally Veloster shocks. I'll be surprised if Bilstein does not come out with Veloster shocks in a year or so.

One thing we'll all have to deal with is that no matter how good of shocks we get for the Veloster, there is only so much they can "fix". The rear shock geometry isn't correct from the factory as the rear shocks tilt rearward. This causes an abnormal arc of suspension travel damping and can't be corrected without changing the lower shock mounting location. This would entail some fabrication and really isn't feasable. I'm hoping with feedback Hyundai will look into this short coming and hopefully fix it in future production runs of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    One thing we'll all have to deal with is that no matter how good of shocks we get for the Veloster, there is only so much they can "fix". The rear shock geometry isn't correct from the factory as the rear shocks tilt rearward. This causes an abnormal arc of suspension travel damping and can't be corrected without changing the lower shock mounting location. This would entail some fabrication and really isn't feasable.
    Can you elaborate on this?
    Stop PM'ing me, I already answered all your questions.

If you take a good look at the rear lower shock mount point you'll see exactly what I mean. Typically with "normal suspension" on mass produced vehicles, the shock should be mounted so the damping action happens nearly vertically. Take a hydraulic jack and lift your vehicle at the designated lift point so the wheel is off the ground. Take some blocks of wood (so you don't do any damage) and stack them and gently set the car back down so the lower shock mount sets down onto the blocks without allow the tire to touch down. You'll notice some weird arcs coming into play and it will try to push the car off the blocks of wood. The damping rate of the shock can't be linear due to this swinging action of the lower mounting location of the shock. There is a very small window of correct damping with the shocks... Try this out and let me know what you see. I think you'll agree some weird stuff is going on and that makes for a bouncy rear end much more so than the use of the V-beam.

Don't hold your breath on the Koni shocks, the 2010-12 Honda Fit does not even have Koni products yet and that is a B-spec car for racing.
    2012 Marathon Blue Veloster | 2007 Lotus Exige S | 2010 Honda Fit
    Veloster Interface Design | Development Website | Full Veloster Review

Keep it gangster.

Believe me I hope I am wrong but Fit owners have been asking Koni for Yellows for 2 years and they get the same answer, they are in development. Now that its a B-Spec car you would think it would go top of the list.

I would pay a ton of money for Koni Yellow on the Veloster, I hope they make the car a priority!
    With the Turbo model and the normal one having the same suspension it would be a no brainer.
    2012 Marathon Blue Veloster | 2007 Lotus Exige S | 2010 Honda Fit
    Veloster Interface Design | Development Website | Full Veloster Review

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost12 View Post
    If you take a good look at the rear lower shock mount point you'll see exactly what I mean. Typically with "normal suspension" on mass produced vehicles, the shock should be mounted so the damping action happens nearly vertically. Take a hydraulic jack and lift your vehicle at the designated lift point so the wheel is off the ground. Take some blocks of wood (so you don't do any damage) and stack them and gently set the car back down so the lower shock mount sets down onto the blocks without allow the tire to touch down. You'll notice some weird arcs coming into play and it will try to push the car off the blocks of wood. The damping rate of the shock can't be linear due to this swinging action of the lower mounting location of the shock. There is a very small window of correct damping with the shocks... Try this out and let me know what you see. I think you'll agree some weird stuff is going on and that makes for a bouncy rear end much more so than the use of the V-beam.
    I think that rear end crap is does has more to do with the rear arm suspension bushings. Take a look at them next time you are under there. Half air, half soft rubber. But yeah, the shocks are not pro either by a long shot.

Also, the absence of shock upgrades, has my ARK springs still sitting in my trunk while I try to decide if I want coil over$$$ so I can get a better, adjustable shock, or to just say screw it and put on the springs. LOL Nameless will be releasing a rear sway bar soon. I want to get one of those and see how much it changes the handling
    Last edited by Mitch; 05-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    2013 Hot Lava Scion FRS - 6 speed manual

Any news with shocks for lowering springs?

I have H&R lowering springs and before those car felt like shockless car and now I could say it is a dangerous car with these stiffer and shorter springs...

When you drive a small bump at road the car jumps "sideways".
    Also feel like the shocks should be shorter than the originals to get proper suspension with 1" lowering springs.

Are the Koni yellows shorter than originals?
    Or is Bilstein making B8 sporty shocks for this car to be used with H&R springs?

H&R springs as not to stiff at all but I am worried what would be the sporty level of Koni Yellows, if those and also to be used with original springs. The car might be still like a "Jumping stick"

The original springs and especially shocks are too far away from the european sport car taste, I think, and that could be one of the reasons this car does not sell so much in Nordic countries.

Ismo
    Last edited by Ismo; 08-26-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    Vitamin C, Projector headlights with 5000k HID, 5000k Fog lights, 5000k High Beam, Panorama roof, Tinted back windows, Brenthon emblems, Red brake calipers, Led interior lights, Osram Cool blue intense Licence plate bulbs, H&R 25mm Lowering springs, KONI Yellow Adjustable Struts, Bastuck & Eurostainless Catback 2.5" Sport Exhaust.

dont think anything is out yet... Im still waiting for this, and polyeurethane bushings
    Keep it gangster.

Lots of Mustang applications use non-verticle mounted shocks.
    Probably because of the live axle.

Crap, I sold the 509hp Mustang on 9/22
    http://dreammustang.com/
    ~Oh well, still have the slow red one and the Veloster~

^^ That is an entirely different scenario with a leaf sprung live-axle rear-end. Those shocks are essentially mounted perpendicularly to the swing of the suspension and will dampen adequately as compared with the incorrect angle of rear shock mount in the rear of our V's.

Try Lowering your cold air pressure to 30psi frt and 28 psi rr. The Factory Shocks are More than capable, And are High pressure Gas Mono Tube in the rear, And High pressure gas in front. They are Made By Sach's/ZF and are Very High Quality Unit's. In my opinion, any after marker shock you buy, will exhibit the same feel, or maybe Softe,r less supporting than the factory shocks.
    VELOSTER APPAREL https://plus.google.com/u/0/100445685402074231306/posts

: Official US Copyright Office Registration Information> Of My Silhouette Named.. "Tuner Car Profile" >> VA0001829171 / 2012-07-14

16. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements