1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DekeVader

Thread: Stock Audio options?

Stock Audio options?

Hey all,
    I'm brand new to owning a Veloster and New to the forums!

I bought a 2013 Veloster on Saturday and noticed almost immediately the speakers sound like two rocks rubbing together. They are horrible!!
    I'm on a budget but I'd like to replace them but needed some advice from the more experienced.

I'd like to keep the stock radio and replace the speakers and add an amp to drive them replacing the stock amp. I'm also not looking to install a sub+box or anything like that, I want to replace the speakers with whats in the car and do what I can to up the sound quality. I'll probably use some sound deading and foam bezels for each speaker. What I need to know is some opinions, options and suggestions on the setup I want to do and which amp would push this setup and make it sound good without going off the rails or destroy my budget. So here is the setup I'm looking at.

Dash 3.5': x1 Polk Audio DB351
    Front Doors 6.5': x2 Polk Audio DB6501's (Component speakers)
    Rear Doors 6.5': x2 Polk Audio DB651's
    Boot 8': x1 Polk Audio DB840
    Amplifier: Need some suggestions
    Crossover: Do I need one?
    Anything else I'm missing or should be considering?

That's what I'm thinking so far but I'm open any suggestions or opinions! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!
    -D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Hey, Deke! Lots of options as far as sound systems. Polk is good. I'd probably replace speakers first and then see if the amplifier is pulling its weight before replacing it.

Where are you located?
    TSB's by model year: http://www.hyundaiproblems.com/tsbs/Veloster/
    Join Google Project Fi get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/JX91JH

Replacing the speakers was the original plan but a few people said that just replacing the speakers wasn't enough. I'm from Michigan originally living in Wisconsin now

The DB6501 is 100/300W RMS/peak whilst the DB651 is 60/180. I'd use DB652 in the rear instead so the power specs all match. I'd skip the center channel and just run a 100x4 amplifier. I'd also skip replacing the rear factory sub and get a JL Stealthbox. I've had good experiences with Alpine, so I'd probably get a PDX-F4 to drive the front/rears and an MRV-M500 for the sub.

Of course, the last time I was really into audio stuff was when I was in my twenties, about 20+ years ago, so I may not be cognizant of current lines. As such, take my suggestions with a grain of salt lol.

One step at a time. A car audio system is no different than a home audio system -- you replace what is needed. If it sounds good, don't touch it!

I think I like the idea of just replacing the door speakers first, power them with an amp and see where things are. If it needs more then I'll look at doing something with the sub in the back. Also the dash speaker just seems like the worst possible place to put a speaker... I can't imagine it's easy to replace. Ii'll take a look at the polk DB652's as well. thanks for the suggestions!

What sound system do you have now ? The dimension system or the lower spec setup ? Because the Dimension system has a pretty decent amp to start with, i swapped out all my speakers for kickers and added a 10" bandpass box and it is clean and loud.
    LED lights,7 Color
    Red cup holder, mission plate and veloster door lighting
    Red painted speaker grills
    Hyundai valve caps, door catch covers
    Window guards/garage door lip
    Radar, DVR
    Spec GT spoiler, dual horn swap
    Mud flaps, 15/20 spacers
    Turbokits CAI
    Under hood strip lighting
    Dressup washers, painted engine cover
    T/S strut bar, T/S cable bushings
    kicker speaker's with 10" band pass sub and amp
    Painted grill, front/rear tow hook
    KDM headlights
    Glove box light, shift knob swap
    Dream catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Energized View Post
    What sound system do you have now ? The dimension system or the lower spec setup ? Because the Dimension system has a pretty decent amp to start with, i swapped out all my speakers for kickers and added a 10" bandpass box and it is clean and loud.
    Yea, I agree. The dimension system is surprisingly decent for stock. Low fill is the only real weakness.

Then again, I'm not an audiophile either... I don't mind listening to 128k MP3 for example, so maybe my ears just aren't the best judge lol

I do have the dimension system. Apparently there are 8 speakers but I have no idea where they all are. I know about the dash speaker, the two in front doors the two in the back doors and the 8' in the boot. Not sure where the other 2 are exactly. If I can get away with just changing the speakers that would be AWESOME!

2 twitter in front door
    Veloster 2015 Tech grey triathlon

mdm
    The OEM dimension system isn't bad, and I wouldn't want to invest in audiophile quality anyway because V is a pretty noisy car. But I hate that the FM radio is terrible, I actually listen quite a lot to a local FM station, and it sounds so horrible that I am seriously considering to switching to their 128kbps Internet stream via my phone and BT, if my data plan allows. Pity that V does not have HD radio
    --
    2016 Veloster Turbo DCT

I would recommend replacing everything if you dont like the sound of it.... Ive already got my setup planed out just need to start importing it seems the US dosnt sell some of the stuff i want so gonna have to get it shipped from Australia XD

HU: Alpine IVA-D800
    Amp: Alpine PDX F4
    Fronts: Alpine DDL-R170s
    Rears: Alpine DDL-R170c

Sub: 2 Sundown Audio X15s
    Amp: Sundown Audio 3000D

I think my plan as it stands now is to replace the door speakers (front and back) with Polk Audio DB651 or go component and get DB6501's. Then in the boot replace the 8' that's there with an 8' Polk DB840D. During installation I'm going to do some soundproofing to cut the road noise and add bevels and foam rings to insulate each cone to enhance the mid bass. I'll also be looking for everything that rattles and attempt to pad it so I can get rid of as much ambient distraction as possible. I'll keep everything else stock and hopefully that will be enough. If it isn't then I'll start looking into replacing the amp. I'm not going nuts like I did with my last system which had 1000RMS Solobaric Kicker CompR and a crazy ton of stuff. My plan is just to have a full range audio setup where I can feel some clear bass and the mids hit without rattling the car in front of me.

I'm open to suggestions on speakers if you think the Polk won't do the job. Honestly I haven't been in an audio store in a while and I'm going based on reviews and the fact that I have polk audio for my home entertainment system setup.

Thanks for the great suggestions and options so far everyone!

-D
    jkt1954 likes this.

There is one other consideration: temperature. Winter temps will affect sound quality. You might want to wait until April before making the change. My 2012 with Dimension still sounds great after 5 years but my clime is mostly warmer and more humid.

I am so glad I found you guys! Polk is what i am leaning towards for the same reason but not sure of the sub myself. Does anyone know what the depth is on the sub itself is?

17. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread