Veloster Forum banner

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto upgrades?

27K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  LuckyLucOnBass 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Pretty cool! Veloster will be "soon" though...

Sonata, Santa Fe, Genesis, Elantra GT, and Tucson are eligible, depending on what infotainment package they've got installed; announcements for upgrades to the 2016 Sonata Hybrid, Sonata Plug-In Hybrid, Veloster, and Azera are expected "soon."

#4 ·
I read this on Hyundai's site:
http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/45514/hyundai-releases-do-it-yourself-installation-for-smartphone-integrations-on-several-existing-models

and saw this:
Hyundai will soon make an announcement about CarPlay and Android Auto upgrades for the following 2016 model-year vehicles equipped with Navigation: Sonata Hybrid, Sonata Plug-In Hybrid, Veloster and Azera.

So it looks like it's only for navigation models.
Boo. Hopefully they expand that to non-nav models. I wonder if it's nav models because they use the sd card to load the software update. But they had a 2016 Sonata non-nav model listed as well. It would suck if it's only nav models because if you have CarPlay or Android Auto you're just going to use the navigation app in your phone. That's the whole point of it - your phone is doing the heavy lifting and the head unit is just an interface. I guess we'll wait and see...

#5 ·
I have the 2016 Turbo w/ Navigation so this would work for me and you are 100% correct, I much prefer using the phone for navigation because the nav maps are already obsolete only a few months in. Keeping fingers crossed its soon as in weeks soon instead of months soon!

I read this on Hyundai's site:
http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/45514/hyundai-releases-do-it-yourself-installation-for-smartphone-integrations-on-several-existing-models

and saw this:

So it looks like it's only for navigation models. [/FONT][/COLOR]Boo. Hopefully they expand that to non-nav models. I wonder if it's nav models because they use the sd card to load the software update. But they had a 2016 Sonata non-nav model listed as well. It would suck if it's only nav models because if you have CarPlay or Android Auto you're just going to use the navigation app in your phone. That's the whole point of it - your phone is doing the heavy lifting and the head unit is just an interface. I guess we'll wait and see...

#8 ·
Are the infotainment systems on the 2015-2016 velosters any different from the 2012-2013 velosters?

I don't think these updates apply to the 2012-2015 Velosters.

#12 ·
direct from hyundai:
Apple CarPlay is now standard on 2017 Elantras equipped with Hyundai’s Display Audio or navigation system. We will announce availability on other models soon, including plans for updating existing customer vehicles.

the current veloster infotainment system does not yet (or possibly wont ever) support carplay. that being said, if the vehicle has onboard GPS you can opt to use it rather than carplay / apple maps.

#15 ·
you can replace the headunit with a navi headunit but the dealer will need to fix your bluelink association, and you'll also need a telemetry cable run to the pass side kick panel, this info is somewhere on this board.

#16 ·
Does anyone know: I have an IPhone 6, a 2014 Turbo with Tech package, and I cannot get the system to play games or video's on the montior? My IT guy claims the Iphone 6 with the lightening cable is the issue, says the lightening cable is will not support video? Any suggestions on what phone will?

#17 ·
it wont. you'll need an android phone to do it i believe.

#18 ·
You can get a lighting2HDMI adapter connected to a HDMI2AVI adapter connected to the aux port breakout harness and stream from the phone to the headunit. The quality is not very good at all though. I am still looking into adjusting the output resolution to make it better.

#20 ·
i would highly recommend a NOTE 7 :D

Reactions: drjay
#22 ·
I'm new to the forum and am not yet a VT owner but I'm doing my research on what to purchase when I do buy. This seems to be a hot topic in the VT community and it definitely has my interest. I'm looking for at a VT 14 with a navigational system but can't seem to find any info on weather or not that model and year has the SD card that could be updated with Apple CarPlay. Just hoping someone here would know or if there is more info on this topic that I have yet to find. TIA

#24 ·
Wife just bought the new 2017 Elantra, and Apple CarPlay is amazing. Too bad I have a 2015 VT w/o Navigation. Hopefully they will figure out how to add it for the non navigation head unit. Has anyone tried installing the software onto one of the cars not listed?

#25 ·
it isn't going to work for the non navi units... ever. you can either figure out a new 2016 navi headunit or get a replacement. i really liked the pioneer nex stuff but i read somewhere either here or on vt.org that someone was having a boatload of trouble getting one to work properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.