Veloster Forum banner

Backup camera problem with new Pioneer HU

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pjenkins118 
#1 ·
Got a 2015 Turbo. Installing a Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS head unit with a Metra HYBL-02 vehicle interface and ASWC-1 steering wheel interface. Everything seems to be OK except the backup camera. It is all garbled, looks like it doesn't have a sync signal (for those who know what that is.) The picture is there, but completely unusable. I have verified the firmware in both interfaces and they are up to date. I have tried messing with the camera settings, reverified all of the wiring, checked the pinouts against schematics, and it all looks good. Any idea what to check next? Pioneer customer service only works weekdays and I'd like to get this working this weekend.

#2 ·
Your black/yellow wires are mixed up. You'll have to cut them and resplice. The HYBL-02 has a manufacturing defect. You may also have issues with getting the ASWC-1 to work properly. I had to cut one of the wires in the HYBL-02 harness as it was a double of some of the wiring that came with the ASWC-1 harness causing a conflict. You basically want the steering wheel control wire to pass directly to the ASWC-1 module instead of passing through the HYBL-02 module.

All of that being said, RETURN THE HYBL-02 ASAP. Metra didn't do their homework properly. You'll be left with a dead battery in a few months. Basically, the factory amp is hard-wired into the digital canbus of the car and without your old radio there, it won't turn off. I finally ended up returning the harness (months later, Crutchfield understood the issue) and brought my car to a professional to have my factory amp replaced with a basic aftermarket one and had them install the radio. Not a single problem since.

If you don't believe what I'm saying above, at the very least, once you correct the issues I listed above, measure the parasitic battery drain on your vehicle to confirm what I'm saying is true. It's possible that I simply messed up the installation, but very unlikely. My car was draining 0.5 A with the car off!

Good luck :)

#5 ·
I wanted to give another angle on this diagnosis.

Decided to get the Metra HYBL-02 and give it a shot as the client really wanted a Pioneer NEX head unit. First, Crutch said the head unit will not fit (8100). Tested that once the radio was out and yes it DOES fit. Next, amp draw. I tested the car with factory head unit installed and my readings were ~0.8A, then dropped to 0.5A, and finally to 0.125A. Tried with the Metra harness plugged into its control box and damn, it appeared to stop at 0.5A… BUT WAIT, I left the passenger door open. Despite the interior lights being turned off this was an issue. I closed it and got the same sequence of amp draw. I Repeat, I got the same amp draw readings with the Metra part unplugged and also plugged in. Got the whole harness wired up and tested it again with the radio connected and all other connections made. Shut all doors, same draw as no radio/harness plugged in, ending around 0.125A.
I’m in the clear! But no… I turn on the car and the Dimension sound is coming and going from the front left, right speakers. Tapping the HYBL-02 module makes the sound come and go. I attempt to get the radio into its spot in the dash just to see if everything will fit and that’s when the box dies entirely. I can just barely hear output with the head unit and pot. maxed. So this unit is toast, I’ll get another…
Last issue. Also using the Metra ASWC-1 and the On/Off Hook buttons will NOT program.. I have seen this on other late model Hyundai vehicles with the PAC SWI-RC, so not entirely surprised, but also not thrilled.
Will get a new HYBL module and see if it works. Will try to give an update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.