Veloster Forum banner

Problems with Cruise Control Not Engaging

38K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  SVTfocusO3 
#1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem? During a 1000 mile trip with my Veloster, I noticed the cruise control refused to reengage after a brief stop (such as rest area) where the car was shut off. The light on the dashboard for "cruise" would come on, but "set" would not and the cruise control simply didn't work. The problem would eventually correct itself after 15 minutes or so of driving. Not sure I can replicate the problem for the dealer to review since it has only occurred during a long driving interval.

#2 ·
If you shut the car off, you'll need to re-set the cruise. All my vehicles I've owned with cruise work the same way.

#3 ·
I've had a few glitches with cruise control. In my case the "cancel" button doesn't work and the car keeps flying along like a Toyota (until I press the brake). It's happened a few times. As far as the speed not setting: I've experienced this same issue on other cars. It's usually because of a sticky brake switch that tells the computer your foots on the brake, even though it's not. Try tapping on the brake to fix it.

#6 ·
The only problem I've had is while using it on (not so) steep hills. The car will automatically turn off the cruise control rather than maintaining my speed up a hill. It's rather annoying. None of my other cars have any trouble on the same hill (route 2W coming out of Cambridge, MA).

#7 ·
I had this same issue and after I shut the car off for 15 minutes the issue resolved itself. Hitting the brake didn't help.

#9 ·
Had the same thing happen to me tonight... Had to go on the highway round trip 110km
Cruise worked fine until I stopped for a stretch... after that it wouldn't set again until I was
back in the city...Only have 300km on my car and this shouldn't be happening...I too suspect
sticky brake switch hence why it worked after some heavy braking in the city. Hope it doesn't
become a constant issue.

#10 ·
I don't use the cruise control often, but so far haven't had any problems in the V. I did have problems in the '11 Elantra I had before the V, where it would be working fine and then just disengage on it's own. Seems like it was something for interference, as each time it happened, there was a radio/cell tower visible nearby.

#11 ·
Well I see several issues with cruise control not setting after a brief stop, it has happened to me 5 times in 27K miles, once with no phone bluetoothed in for 56 minutes, then it somehow reset and allowed me to set the cruise, all other buttons worked on the steering wheel but the set button, you could turn on and off cruise control, the green light, during these periods but could not set it. Turning the car off then back on works, and sometimes it will reset on its own. The brakes do not help disengage it either. I have had on the same trip presets change up and down with no input from me. Dealer has reflashed it, as it is an early Sept 11 manual car with both style and tech packages. It is in the dealer again as I started a case file on it to resolve the issues, they found nothing as I suspected. I have documented on my service record excatly what was going on each time. We shall see what the next step is for Hyundai as it is there now to resolve the issue.

#12 ·
I had an issue where my HU was changing stations randomly. The Dealer Tech pulled the steering wheel shrouds off and re-seated all the connectors and this problem has gone away.

May be a lose or corroded connector somewhere.

#14 ·
Hmm i also had this happen for the first time recently on a long trip. In my case, tapping the brakes worked. It seems if one pulls out of, say, a rest area, without using the brakes (MT) from startup, the condition occurs? Has it happened to anyone with a DCT Velo?
I also had the cruise self-cancel one time but i figured that was due to the revs dropping too low to maintain forward momentum going up a hill in sixth

#15 ·
Update. I got a call back from my dealer who spoke with "Technical Systems"

They apparently have a set of tests they want to run that will require me to bring the car in for more than one day while I'm in a loaner.

Going to do this early next week. I'll post with updates.

Anyone else had any luck with resolving this annoying problem?

#16 ·
Update 2: Brought it in for them to conduct tests and they claim they can't get it to replicate. I'd say it happens probably 30 percent of the time for me, so I have to say I'm losing faith with this dealership. Either they are covering so they don't have to replace expensive parts, or they're just incompetent. They're keeping it another day to try again.

I guess I'm considering taking it to another dealership in the area. Anyone have any advice? Maybe someone from the Dallas-Fort Worth area can refer me to the best dealership service department.

#17 ·
I got the same problem. Put the cruise control on , drive for about 30 minutes, cruise control work fine..
stop at gas station, getiing back on the road, cruise control light is on but not working !!!

shut the car off for 15 minutes the issue resolved
itself..
Not really practical for a new car
I will talk to my dealer about this problem ( have so many problems with this car...!!) this week

#20 ·
Well, relief may be in store for this problem.

Hyundai and Kia have instituted a recall on a brake light switch. It evidently is a bad switch.

Since the brake also impinges on the cruise control it would make sense that this recall may fix the cruise control problem.

The auto manufacturers are talking to the tune of 1-1/2 million cars affected.

#21 ·
I have a 2012 Veloster with style and tech and manual. The car has 46000 km on already as I have driven to Florida twice. The cruise follows the pattern exhibited by others who have posted. Will be visiting the dealer tomorrow as I have just returned from a long trip where the control failed several times.

#22 ·
Cruise and Alternator quit at same time

Hello All,

Just wanted to pass along some additional information. I recently bought a 2014 Turbo Veloster (30k miles) and was halfway through an 800 mile trip, when I experienced the same issue. I had purchased a aftermarket heads up display, which shows your vehicle speed on the dash and had wanted to see the engine operating temperature, since this vehicle only has an "idiot" light. To my surprise, the engine runs at 176 degrees, which is much lower than the typical 190-205 of my other vehicles. One of the other settings on the heads up display is you can see the voltage. My cruise worked fine for 3 1/2 hours, when I stopped to fill up with gas. When the cruise would turn on but not set, I noticed that the alternator dropped from 14.2 volts to 12.5, which is just showing the standing voltage of the battery. I turned off the stereo, ac and all lights, to see if it might start charging again and it did not. I stopped to make sure the belt was not loose or that I could not see anything else wrong under the hood. Fortunately the alternator is mounted on top of the engine and you can easily see all of the connections and the belt. Everything looked good and when I started the car back up, the alternator came back up to 14.2 volts and the cruise began working again. About 10 minutes down the highway, the alternator quit working again and the cruise would not set again. Stopping and starting the vehicle would only temporarily help as each time the alternator would quit, within 10 minutes. I knew I wouldn't make it the rest of the trip on battery power alone, so I fortunately found an Autozone and bought a new battery, in case mine completely drained down. Sure enough, when the worker did a test on my battery and alternator, everything showed normal as it did on my heads up display, since the car had been turned off and restarted. As I started to drive off, I stopped and decided to install the new battery, to try to save my original battery as I knew that totally discharging a battery will typical ruin the battery. The alternator charged at 14 volts and the cruise worked, so I thought my problem may have been a weak battery, causing the alternator to overcharge (14.2 volts) and shutting it down. With the new battery, the alternator never charged over 14 volts. Two hours later I stopped to eat and within 10 minutes of starting back on the road, the alternator and cruise quit again. I stopped and disconnected the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reinstalled it. No further issues for the remainder of the 3 hour trip.

I dread going to the dealer, because I know they will tell me there isn't anything wrong, although I know it is some type of electrical issue. I don't think it is the alternator, since typically once they quit, they don't start working again. I am going to try to make it back home, travelling by day, to not use up battery and having the spare battery. Once I get back home, I will go to the dealer and hope they will correct the issue, since I now have additional information.

I will update if I determine what is causing this problem.

#24 ·
May or may not sound weird but my 2013 veloster has been doing this awhile. The buttons somehow don’t work when pressing the actual button. I turn the cruise on with the cruise button then set cruise by pressing the bottom left corner of the cancel button. Sometimes it’s other buttons that make it work. Same with the volume button on the steering wheel. Works sometimes. Other times it activates the push to talk button. They all move around.i can’t figure it out. Gremlins I suppose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.