1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lossless audio options?

Lossless audio options?

So, I have my CD collection converted to FLAC (lossless audio) and it's about 300 gigs. I would like to be able to play these in the Veloster but before I buy a few large USB sticks, I need to know if the V reads FLAC. If not, what are my options? My phone doesn't play though the USB, only via the bluetooth (which degrades the audio a little) and via the 1/8" jack (which introduces a D/A and A/D stage, degrading the audio) so I'm not sure what to do. I am not willing to re-convert all my music again because there's just too much of it. Do I need to buy an MP3-type player that reads FLAC?
    Any help is appreciated. I put $400 worth of speakers and 20 hours of work in the car to get it exactly how I want it, so I'd like to make the most of it. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    So, I have my CD collection converted to FLAC (lossless audio) and it's about 300 gigs. I would like to be able to play these in the Veloster but before I buy a few large USB sticks, I need to know if the V reads FLAC. If not, what are my options? My phone doesn't play though the USB, only via the bluetooth (which degrades the audio a little) and via the 1/8" jack (which introduces a D/A and A/D stage, degrading the audio) so I'm not sure what to do. I am not willing to re-convert all my music again because there's just too much of it. Do I need to buy an MP3-type player that reads FLAC?
    Any help is appreciated. I put $400 worth of speakers and 20 hours of work in the car to get it exactly how I want it, so I'd like to make the most of it. Thanks.
    I am bummed to see that no one has responded as I have the same question! I have put a solid amount of money and labor into my V, i want to get the ample performance out of it!
    Bowie likes this.

Blog Entries
    Well just find someone you know that has a USB stick and put on one .flac file on there and see if it works. Simplest way to find out lol

Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterUntd View Post
    I am bummed to see that no one has responded as I have the same question! I have put a solid amount of money and labor into my V, i want to get the ample performance out of it!
    BTW, someone was asking me about audio upgrades and was changing is amp. I told him to look for you since his plan looked basically like what you did and I didn't touch my amp. I think he was posting in threads, trying to get your attention.

I had the same question. I tried putting FLAC files on a stick and a portable HD. That did not work...
    I then installed OPlayer Lite on my phone and I am using it to play FLAC files stored on my phone via the USB connection from the phone to the AV system. I am using an iPhone currently but the app is also available for Android.
    Although my sound system is the Tech Option stock one, I notice a huge difference in sound quality not only from MP3s and AAC but also when using the USB connection vs the Bluetooth connection.
    Hope this helps.
    Bowie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PMandefua View Post
    I had the same question. I tried putting FLAC files on a stick and a portable HD. That did not work...
    I then installed OPlayer Lite on my phone and I am using it to play FLAC files stored on my phone via the USB connection from the phone to the AV system. I am using an iPhone currently but the app is also available for Android.
    Although my sound system is the Tech Option stock one, I notice a huge difference in sound quality not only from MP3s and AAC but also when using the USB connection vs the Bluetooth connection.
    Hope this helps.
    So, when you plug an Android phone into the USB port with a cable, it gives you the option to stream through USB? With all 3 of our Androids, it only lets us play music through the 1/8" jack or via Bluetooth music, neither of which I care for.

I have the Tech package and my phones play FLAC, if i could find a way to get them to play music THROUGH the USB port that would be absolutely awesome. Right now, it will charge with the USB jack but nothing more.

I am currently using an iPhone 4S and when I connect the USB cable, I get the choice to select which connection to use, Dock (USB) or BT.

I just found the following, on another thread, to force the system not to use BT for audio. This might help or maybe not...

"I wanted a cable connection for the audio, but the BT for the phone.
    On veloster radio: disable automatic downloads of contacts and disable BT audio streaming.
    On phone: disable sync contacts in the BT menu.
    After that allow the phone to connect via BT and then plug in the phone. Your hands free should work good and your music should play."

Does the stock head unit play WAV or only WMA?..

And I hate to be the downer.. But guys, seriously? That much on audio equipment?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    -- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

Quote Originally Posted by PMandefua View Post
    I am currently using an iPhone 4S and when I connect the USB cable, I get the choice to select which connection to use, Dock (USB) or BT.

I just found the following, on another thread, to force the system not to use BT for audio. This might help or maybe not...

"I wanted a cable connection for the audio, but the BT for the phone.
    On veloster radio: disable automatic downloads of contacts and disable BT audio streaming.
    On phone: disable sync contacts in the BT menu.
    After that allow the phone to connect via BT and then plug in the phone. Your hands free should work good and your music should play."
    Ok, I see. When I plug in Android, it doesn't give the USB streaming option. Though I should try again now that I have an updated unit.

Quote Originally Posted by x_Diesel_x View Post
    Does the stock head unit play WAV or only WMA?..

And I hate to be the downer.. But guys, seriously? That much on audio equipment?

I think the manual says it plays WMA. WMA can be lossless but I can't re-convert 350gigs of audio. Getting them all to FLAC took forever...

Regarding the last comment, I'm not sure if I understand, but are you talking about the cost of the sound system? I make my living in professional audio so it's not a big deal. It helps me to have a good reference in the car too (checking mixes, etc). It was really cheap compared to the equipment I have to buy for my studio. That stuff is absurd.

Our system plays MP3, WAV and WMA. The closest that comes to lossless is WMA. It does not play FLAC files. Word to the wise, our units will ONLY READ FAT32 FORMATTED DEVICES! Most USB drives larger than 16GB come pre-formatted as NTFS. You will need to download FAT32 format software (search, there are several free out there). Myself, I currently have a 64GB thumb drive but like you, it is not enough space for all my music. One of these days, I plan on getting an external drive powered through the USB and put my music on it.
    Pandemonium and Bowie like this.
    2013 Boston Red Turbo Ultimate A/T -- Traded In
    2014 Caspian Black Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate A/T

I think the manual says it plays WMA. WMA can be lossless but I can't re-convert 350gigs of audio. Getting them all to FLAC took forever...

Regarding the last comment, I'm not sure if I understand, but are you talking about the cost of the sound system? I make my living in professional audio so it's not a big deal. It helps me to have a good reference in the car too (checking mixes, etc). It was really cheap compared to the equipment I have to buy for my studio. That stuff is absurd.

Yea, was talking about spending that much in car audio.

I enjoy some hi-fi quality audio as much as the next guy, but damn. I don't spend enough time in the car listening to music to justify that expense.

And in regards to your predicament. I'd say that purchasing an old iPod that can be hacked with the RockBox firmware would be your best solution.

Them you'd be able to stream via USB.

-- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

Also, if I remember correctly, our units will only list up to 9,999 files? Anything after that will be ignored.

i wanted to know this also, about to get a VT

I have all my music in Apple Lossless. For my current ford I converted them to 320 AAC,

But is that correct the VT will not play AAC?

So Im going to need to convert again

Will the VT show my album art if the files are from iTunes ?

My LG G2 can play FLAC and WAV files, but the limited storage makes it barely worth it. You'd have to use the aux jack though. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell a difference though. I've been pretty impressed with the BT audio quality I get using Google All Access.

I have the bulk of my collection in FLAC, but for the car I convert some of it to Apple Lossless and put those files on my iPhone. Then I play it through the phone. I'm guessing the head unit is probably clueless about Apple Lossless if you don't have an iPod or iPhone, but haven't actually tried it.

Yeah. You will need to convert them again. Our head unit doesn't play Apple Lossless. I just keep the music in the format that it came in, MP3, WAV, WMA, etc, and create a WMA copy of them. Then move the WMA files over to the USB thumb drive and pop it in the car. Your question about album art? Yes, if you use iTunes for the conversion it will keep the ablum art. There are also several programs that you can use for ID tagging and album art, such as Media Monkey. If I lose album art or iTunes can't find the album art, I use Media Monkey to grab the artwork and put it in the song.

High resolution audio doesn't really work in a car since the noise floor is higher to begin with. You'll end up pumping the volume up as compared to listening to high resolution audio at home. Unless you spend money on isolating the car from any external noise if will be difficult to enjoy lossless audio in a car. On a Veloster where the panels start to vibrate when you push the volume pass the 30 mark. But installing sound deadening materials on the car will also add to the weight.
    I know there's an outboard digital processor for our cars but I'm not sure that will do the trick until you stop the car's panels from rattling to begin with. I try to rip my USB music at the highest the car will take without going lossless or just playing a regular CD instead.
    Taimaishoo likes this.
    2013 Triathlon Gray DCT black interior with style package purchased Sept 1,2012 (Manufactured Jun/25/12) 20% tint all around

Quote Originally Posted by apchouston View Post
    High resolution audio doesn't really work in a car since the noise floor is higher to begin with. You'll end up pumping the volume up as compared to listening to high resolution audio at home. Unless you spend money on isolating the car from any external noise if will be difficult to enjoy lossless audio in a car. On a Veloster where the panels start to vibrate when you push the volume pass the 30 mark. But installing sound deadening materials on the car will also add to the weight.
    I know there's an outboard digital processor for our cars but I'm not sure that will do the trick until you stop the car's panels from rattling to begin with. I try to rip my USB music at the highest the car will take without going lossless or just playing a regular CD instead.
    There's a lot of good points made there, and I'll add that the D/A converters limit the audio quality as well as the fact a the car is a terrible acoustic environment because of the speaker layout (and there's no getting around that). However, I do hear a difference in lossless audio and minute differences in recordings are a big part of my life. I put a lot of effort into mounting quality speakers and dampening vibrations but stopped after a certain point because of the inherent limitations of cars in general.

I still haven't found a solution I'm happy with so I bring CDs in my car when I want to hear something in full quality. Otherwise, I just stream bluetooth for the music where fidelity is not much of a concern.

There's a lot of good points made there, and I'll add that the D/A converters limit the audio quality as well as the fact a the car is a terrible acoustic environment because of the speaker layout (and there's no getting around that). However, I do hear a difference in lossless audio and minute differences in recordings are a big part of my life. I put a lot of effort into mounting quality speakers and dampening vibrations but stopped after a certain point because of the inherent limitations of cars in general.

I still haven't found a solution I'm happy with so I bring CDs in my car when I want to hear something in full quality. Otherwise, I just stream bluetooth for the music where fidelity is not much of a concern.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, I had better results using BT then using the CD player. My CD player sounds like there is not enough pre-amp, very weak. Tried several different genre.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroStrat89 View Post
    I know it sounds counter intuitive, I had better results using BT then using the CD player. My CD player sounds like there is not enough pre-amp, very weak. Tried several different genre.
    The clarity of a CD vs the muddiness of BT might deceive you into thinking the BT has more bass, but it actually has less of all frequencies and a lot of garbled digital artifacts. Also, the higher treble response from a CD might sound tinny and make the other frequencies sound quieter, but you can fix that using EQ in the settings. CDs sound far and away better than BT streaming or even the highest bitrate mp3. I had an HD radio in my other car and sometimes people would think it sounds better when the HD signal fades and it cuts to analog signal, so I know what you think you're hearing. To the untrained ear, louder, muffled music sounds better than crisp, quieter music.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast