Veloster Forum banner

Test Code / Head Unit Development Thread

400K views 561 replies 121 participants last post by  Brendanmlee 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the LG Touchscreen Head Unit Development Thread:

WANTED:
1. Developers with CE Application/OS design.
2. Looking for leaked LG BSPs.
3. Coders skilled in C# C++ and working knowledge of Visual Studio 2005 and WinCE experience.

Introduction
Like most electronics and software these days there is a user interface we all interact with on a daily basis. For example our phones allow us to touch scroll and perform all our daily tasks easily. Computers are similar, we use a mouse and keyboard to interact with email, games and web browsers. To most people the code and operating system behind all of this is often forgotten.

For an iPhone or an Android Device the operating system behind it all is Unix based. For our PCs the user interface is powered by a version of Windows.

The head unit installed into all of the Velosters is designed by LG for Hyundai and uses an LG designed shell or user interface to control how we handle our media, and in Korea it handles some of the climate control functions. Underneath the shell (GUI) the system is powered by Windows CE, an embedded operating system that allows all that magic to happen. Windows CE is used heavily in industrial computing applications and is even mandated by the FIA to control Formula 1, engine computers.

There is much potential and flexibility in the operating system.

Customization

With any operating system comes the ability to customize content.
As development continues, certain aspects of the touch screen interface can be changed, like the start up tones, boot screen wallpaper, video playback while driving, and navigation features added to those without it.

Operating System and Processor

Windows CE 6.0
The processor installed on the LG Touch Screen is a MIPs RISC Processor. All software compiled for MIPS and Windows CE will work until the unit reboots or restarts.

Problems

The problem with the LG setup is each region has it's own version of the firmware or ROM installed. Each ROM is locked down where modifying system files is not possible at this point which blocks any customization.

Without file system access we will not be able to get access to the files needed to make changes.

Development and software for Windows CE is pretty much dead. Very few people write or compose software for Windows CE anymore. MIPs processors are less common than ARM processors so finding software compiled for MIPs and CE is hard to find. Without paying developers don't expect much to happen in terms of growth.

Video Playback

A work around for video playback has been discovered and a customized shell have been made to watch video:
http://www.veloster.org/forum/35-hyundai-veloster-audio-electronics/2997-usb-video-playback-install-v1-1-lastest-release.html

Development Status

Stage 1 - Initial Testing (Completed)
Stage 2 - Customization and Video Playback
Stage 3 - Customized Shell and Video Playback Installer

Developing Software
If you want to install software or want in integrate items into the customized shell being worked on all software must be developed in Visual Studio 2005 SP1 with CE Builder Tools 6.0. All software builds must be compiled for MIPs processors in order to be executable. Software can be save and stored on Storage Card, Storage Card 2,3,4. Or on an external USB Stick. However any software installed to \Program Files or \Application Data is removed after restart.

Basics:

Windows CE boots and immediately launches myshell.exe in registry starting the LG shell with Red Veloster picture. In background, all .exe/executable files from Storage Card\System are loaded. Each function such as XM, Media, FM, USB, have different executable. For example, when the button USB is touched on the screen the file Iris.exe is loaded.

What has been tried:

• Windows CE Test code found by: Trey
  • External Storage Card (Phone, USB Stick, etc.) Mounts in Windows CE as MD disk drive.
  • Window CE has internal ROM or non volatile memory allocated to Windows Folder at this point is locked down to certain copy and modification tasks.
  • There is a 16GB of storage broken down to 3 or 4 partitions depending on if you have navigation installed all files are read/write/

1. Storage Card (System files associated with the Shell)
  2. Storage Card 2 (Skin Files)
  3. Storage Card 3 (Various Skin and Nav files)
  4. Storage Card 4 (Navigation Files)

• Within Windows CE .can and .exe are now usable as long as files are compiled for MIP processors.
  • Registry Access available using Tascal Registry Editor. (edits do not hold after reboot)
  • LG Shell launched either from \Windows\MyShell.exe or Storage Card\System\Scratchy.exe
  • Attempts to copy Canadian Registry to enable USB video playback failed. (Dezoris) Registry Import worked. (Registry resets every reboot)
  • Attempts to Copy Canadian \Storage Card\System folder to enable USB video playback failed. (Copy completed successfully)
  • Deleting the Storage Card\System Folder caused the system to launch directly into Windows CE after the Red Veloster Boot image picture loads. While in CE after 20 seconds the system reboots 3 times which appears to be a fail safe measure.

Risks

(If you get stuck in Windows CE or need to get back to the LG Menus - Radio, XM etc. Use a paper clip or stylus and push the little button next to the eject button by the CD player or pull the multimedia fuse or turn the car off and walk away with the keys for 5 minutes, after said time the system soft resets.)

As with anything play with this at your own risk, there is not a high risk of damaging anything but, use your head if you don't know what you are doing don't play with it.

Accessing the Test Menu

The test menu is LG's way to make small system changes and to test certain functions of the head unit without having to boot into Windows CE.

On the head unit:

HOLD SETUP/INFO Button FOR 5 SECONDS TO ENTER TEST MODE:

Known Test Code Ranges:
EXAMPLE: 90009000-9999999

Discovered Test Codes:

90109010 driving regulation mode driving (video off while driving)
91009100 Driving regulation mode auto (someone test)
90019001 Driving Regulation mode park (video while driving)
93209320 ?
93219321 ?
93229322 set startup sound
90039003 bootup debug mode
95829582 Windows CE
95119511 ?
95369536 ?
95119511 - Diagnostic Mode
95369536 - Seems to temporary mute sound
95809580 - Version Info, Radio/Nav/Sound/Sys
95819581 - AMOS
95839583 - Windows Task Manager
95849584 - Tuner Alignment
9585-9588 - Same as 9580
95899589 Debug Mode
96339633 Tuner Alignment
93209320 - hidden line in the camera
93219321 - show line in the camera
93299329 ?
93219321 ?
93519351 ?
92539253 ?
90039003 bootup debug mode

PENDING CODE UPDATES:

2 0 0 9 2 0 0 9
9 0 0 2 9 0 0 2
9 0 1 0 9 0 1 0
9 1 0 0 9 1 0 0
1 7 9 3 1 7 9 3
9 5 8 8 9 5 8 8
9 5 8 6 9 5 8 6
9 5 8 5 9 5 8 5
9 5 8 3 9 5 8 3
9 5 8 2 9 5 8 2
9 5 8 1 9 5 8 1
0 0 7 0 0 7 4 1
5 6 5 6 3 1 2 4
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
1 7 8 9 1 7 8 9
9 8 7 1 9 8 7 1
9 2 5 3 9 2 5 3
2 5 8 9 2 5 8 9
9 8 5 2 9 8 5 2
1 5 3 9 1 3 2 9
9 3 5 1 9 3 5 1
1 2 3 9 1 2 3 9
0 2 3 9 0 2 3 9
9 3 2 0 9 3 2 0
9 9 3 5 6 6 8 7
2 2 7 4 1 2 0 8
9 8 5 5 9 8 5 5
9 6 3 3 9 6 3 3
9 5 1 1 9 5 1 1
9 5 3 6 9 5 3 6
9 5 8 7 9 5 8 7

See less See more
#9 ·
It would be great to find a code to change the gear selector window on the MT to read the gear your in rather than the gear it wants you to be in.

Reactions: NightWind
#13 ·
hmm i have some spare time at the shop today , ill see if theres different software installed to each Veloster, maybe its as simple as to just change software , cause the system setup is the same so if were lucky we might just be able to change the code! :) i mean i bought the tech package so i already have it but i wanna help as much as possible

#15 ·
Tried some of the codes here in Brazil.

Hey guys, wassup?

Thanks for the info. I'm in Brazil and my Veloster just arrived.
I tried the 90019001 codes and it unlocked successfully Videos.
Code 90039003 is in deed the Debug On, however, nothing happened, settings remained..and turning the system on and off did not trigger any new tasks.

I had some tech guy open my shark antenna and according to him, there is a GPS device there.

Ads here in Brazil keep saying that there is Navigation system standard in the car, however due to legislation/approvals and all it must be in deed disabled.

Will keep you posted if anything comes up.

GCR.

#18 ·
Ads here in Brazil keep saying that there is Navigation system standard in the car, however due to legislation/approvals and all it must be in deed disabled.

Will keep you posted if anything comes up.

GCR.
Same in Chile. .... Maybe could we unlock the GPS mode in the radio. Not sure if we need something extra.

Some piece of advice anyone?

#22 ·
Hey guys. How do you change the Screensaver picture? I have a USB in, it shows me the picture.. but how do I load it onto the Car? Merci

#23 ·
First, you have to copy the image off of the USB into the system...

Copying photo files to the
storage device of the system
1. Select the desired photo fi le on the menu
buttons screen.
2. Touch [ Menu] > [ Photoframe] on the
menu buttons screen.

Then do the following:

Screensaver
This menu describes screensaver settings.
1. Press [SETUP] > [Screensaver].
2. Select the desired options.
• [Clock]: The clock is displayed on the screen
when the system is off .
• [Image]: The desired image is displayed on
the screen when the system is off .
Press [Search] to select the image, then press
[Done] after selecting the desired image.
Select [Original] or [Full] to set the screen
ratio. You can only select the image stored in
[My Photo] menu. Refer to the page 52.
• [None]: No image is displayed on the screen
when the system is off .
3. Touch [Done].
INFO/SETUP

#24 ·
Get ready, for this is completely badass....

I have a few more codes too. I want to get through this one first.

Ok, sooo, I'm kinda not wanting to post this code till i figure it out. But, I accessed windows CE. Messed around, went to start menu, clicked suspend, now I cant get my radio back on. Any Ideas? Right now im waiting for the car to sit long enough for the radio to do startup again.

#31 ·
only a matter of time before we have custom startups, interfaces, and apps that can:
give instantaneous fuel economy (or anything from OBD II port for that matter)
install navigation on non-navi units (assuming the gps internal hardware is present)
enable video playback directly from USB devices

oh my god, my mind is racing in a million directions right now. with full access to this system that in turn has access to Bluetooth and USB devices, my mind is being blown with the possibilities.

#32 ·
Ok, I found that if I let the car sit for a few minutes with the ignition off, it resets. You know how sometimes if you turn it off and back on, it goes straight to radio, without the startup screen? you need to wait long enough to get the startup screen.

anyway, windows is 95829582

9580-9589 are mostly all good codes. One of them goes into navigation settings, another some freaky stuff, but I'm so excited about windows, i didnt write them down. Use a stylus to navigate windows. Mind blowing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.