NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Replacing Factory Amp

Replacing Factory Amp

Working on installing a larger amplifier and better speakers in my VT. Looking at the wiring for the factory amp wiring, Im assuming that Connector A is for the inputs and Connector B and C are the speaker outputs. With that logic, it appears to me that the factory amp is processing more than one set of inputs. If I wanted to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one, what would I use for the inputs.
    fnaveag likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

See the SPDIF + and -? The factory head unit uses those to digitally tell the factory amplifier what noises to generate. If you have ever looked on the back of a new TV and seen a little port with laser light inside of it, same thing, except this is transmitted over copper cable instead of fiber optic. You would need some form of SPDIF to 4-channel converter that can be wired to run on 12v power. Good luck, but I doubt you'll find that. You're better off buying a whole new head unit.

Just in case you think I'm bullshitting, here's the wiki link to SPDIF S/PDIF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia To be honest, I couldn't believe that our cars used that either. You COULD try pulling the wiring diagram for the head unit itself, and seeing if the head units that are set up for the external amplifier still have normal non-amplified speaker outs, and then run them through a line-level converter, but I don't know if the head unit will have those regular speaker outs since all the speaker outs are on the factory amp.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find out!
    2013 Marathon Blue VT MT, Morimoto HID, 2 12" Shallow Rockford Subs 560W @ 1ohm, SOLO,TS FMIC, Injen CAI, TORK Pipe, CERMA'd, Uniq Collars + Strut Bar.... More to Come!

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC
    Nokya Arctic White Fog Bulbs
    Nokya Arctic White High Beam Bulbs

Soon:
    Tork Catless DP, BPS Shift Bushings, Tork Stage ~1.5 tune, Rear Sway Bar.... For now.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires are awesome

2013 Marathon Blue NAV w/Style and DCT... Traded at 16,010 miles for the VT Above!

found this, maybe I'll help. Looks like the pins are there on this diagram, but only pulling the radio will let you find out whether wires that you can tap exist.
    2013 Marathon Blue VT MT, Morimoto HID, 2 12" Shallow Rockford Subs 560W @ 1ohm, SOLO,TS FMIC, Injen CAI, TORK Pipe, CERMA'd, Uniq Collars + Strut Bar.... More to Come!

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC

Soon:
    Tork Catless DP, BPS Shift Bushings, Tork Stage ~1.5 tune, Rear Sway Bar.... For now.

2013 Marathon Blue NAV w/Style and DCT... Traded at 16,010 miles for the VT Above!

Do an online search for MiniDSP and Oarts Express carries a S/PDIF to analog converter. Made by Fiio.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AutoGuide App

Make that Parts Express. Fat Fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by mbode1 View Post
    Make that Parts Express. Fat Fingers!
    Did you buy it and how does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by swyner View Post
    Did you buy it and how does it work?
    Not yet. It's in the plan but, right now the honeydew list comes from first.

Quote Originally Posted by mbode1 View Post
    Not yet. It's in the plan but, right now the honeydew list comes from first.
    What's the model number of the one you were looking at? I went directly to Fiio site and they have a few....wondering if it will actually work....

Any one do this? Looks like to do it correctly you would need to solder on a RCA end to the + and - SPDIF inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    Any one do this? Looks like to do it correctly you would need to solder on a RCA end to the + and - SPDIF inputs.
    No, SPDIF is a digital transmission signal. Unless your get an amp that understands SPDIF signal inputs or get a digital to analog converter, just soldering on a connection won't work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC

Soon:

Sorry I meant using a converter. The converters I have seen require an rca input.

Sorry I meant using a converter. The converters I have seen require an rca input.

I figured you were going to use one, i just wanted to save you from possibly frying things. Well there's no reason it shouldn't work. Be the first to try! As you can see above there was talk about it, but I don't think anyone did anything.

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC

Soon:

I will do some more research into those converters. Thanks for the help

I'd just like to add my .02 here. Friday I had a new amp installed among other goodies. What we ultimately did to cure the SPDIF issue was to continue using the OEM amp, output to 2 converters (one for the L,R Front, and one for the L,R rear) and then feed my new JL Audio 5 channel/700. It worked like a charm!
    '13 VT Ultimate-MT in Ironman Silver w/ Black Accents & MSR 095 Black Pearl 18x8" Wheels
    SFR Custom Tune (+40whp & 39Ft-lbs torque gains)
    INJEN SRI, SOLO HF Cat, QR-300S Resonator & 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
    JL Audio XD-700/5 Channel Amplifier
    Focal 'Integrated' ISS-165 6-1/2" [Front]
    Focal CA-165 6-1/2" coaxial drivers, [Rears]
    JL Audio 10" W1 Subwoofer in 'AE' ported enclosure
    Pierce Motorsports Torsion Bar, VT-ONE Strut Bar, Tiebar Brace
    Sales@SilverbulletCustomEmblems.com

Quote Originally Posted by bhughes24 View Post
    I'd just like to add my .02 here. Friday I had a new amp installed among other goodies. What we ultimately did to cure the SPDIF issue was to continue using the OEM amp, output to 2 converters (one for the L,R Front, and one for the L,R rear) and then feed my new JL Audio 5 channel/700. It worked like a charm!
    This isn't a bad idea, my OCD just wouldn't let me leave an amp there for the purpose of driving the center speaker only lol. I plan on testing a SPDIF converter myself here in a few weeks (gotta let the bank account recover from trading my NAV for a VT) ill certainly let you all know how it turns out!

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC

Soon:

Quote Originally Posted by tlyons1022 View Post
    This isn't a bad idea, my OCD just wouldn't let me leave an amp there for the purpose of driving the center speaker only lol. I plan on testing a SPDIF converter myself here in a few weeks (gotta let the bank account recover from trading my NAV for a VT) ill certainly let you all know how it turns out!

FWIW, the converters are not SPDIF converters. They are just High level converters that'll accept the output from an amp, and the signals are reduced to the proper level to be accepted by your new one is all. They aren't that expensive. Oh, and just disconnect the dash speaker @ the Amp if you like. I did that, the door tweeters and the factory sub was disconnected at the sub's connection is all. Everything is left in place to be reestablished back to factory "Premium Dimension" when the time comes (if needed).
    '13 VT Ultimate-MT in Ironman Silver w/ Black Accents & MSR 095 Black Pearl 18x8" Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bhughes24 View Post
    FWIW, the converters are not SPDIF converters. They are just High level converters that'll accept the output from an amp, and the signals are reduced to the proper level to be accepted by your new one is all. They aren't that expensive. Oh, and just disconnect the dash speaker @ the Amp if you like. I did that, the door tweeters and the factory sub was disconnected at the sub's connection is all. Everything is left in place to be reestablished back to factory "Premium Dimension" when the time comes (if needed).
    I know your converters aren't SPDIF, but using a single digital 5.1 SPDIF to analog converter, you could theoretically delete the factory amplifier. I just don't know if things like the navigation voice would still work, because I think that the factory amplifier does some of the sound processing for stuff like that. Won't know for sure until I test it

Parts Ordered / On Hand:
    TS OCC

Soon:

I don't see how the OEM amp would be processing stuff like the Navigation voice & stuff like that, but . . . . Anyway, do let me know how you make out w/ your system & what you did once you move forward on it. I'll be curious to see the different set ups & equipment being used. Are you actually running those (2) 12"s? Good luck T.

It's already been said you loose volume control with the converters. So unless you have a separate source to control volume it is useless.

It's already been said you loose volume control with the converters. So unless you have a separate source to control volume it is useless.
    Bogus. Being "said" and "done" are two different things. My PAC SNI-35 converters are "adjusted" meaning controllable for peak performance and my volume is just fine for me and there's plenty more room left that will never see the light of day. So your claim is totally incorrect on my sound system sir. I speak from my own experience, NOT from what someone else has said. "I read it on the internet, so it must be true." My VT's sound is living proof that it certainly does NOT "lack" any volume in particular.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements