NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Footwell LEDs...check!

What is a brick battery? I'm by no means an electrician but I am definately a tinkerer and have some knowledge of electronics from my naval training, I plan on wiring up some 12v leds from Ebay, they have a controller just as the OP described, just not sure how I'm going to get power to it. For my radar detector, I just ran a wire from a fuse splitter(not sure of the real name) out of my fuse box and a ground.
    2013 Vitamin C VT M/T Ultimate
    @DJSpearOh
    Sold: 2012 Ironman Silver Veloster DCT
    Style & Tech Package

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spiro View Post
    What is a brick battery? I'm by no means an electrician but I am definately a tinkerer and have some knowledge of electronics from my naval training, I plan on wiring up some 12v leds from Ebay, they have a controller just as the OP described, just not sure how I'm going to get power to it. For my radar detector, I just ran a wire from a fuse splitter(not sure of the real name) out of my fuse box and a ground.
    i did the same thing in my previous car for a cb radio, and it worked fine. im gonna find a LED strip that has 2 wires, and just splice the power wire through a 2 way switch so the ground is always connected. quick and easy, hardest part is the placement of the switch

also, there is a website called ledglow.com that sells kits that you can install in less than 15 minutes, you just power it from your obi fuse box with a fuse adapter. very easy and the kit im getting is $45 for everything shipped, comes with 4 led strips, a control module that has multiple functions and it shuts off when the car is off so you dont have to worry about killing the battery

Footwell LEDs...check!-192397_10151155424313026_2062246022_o.jpgFootwell LEDs...check!-615335_10151155424213026_477078151_o.jpgFootwell LEDs...check!-664856_10151155424403026_1060759494_o.jpg

Done.

Cost $13 for LEDs on Ebay with controller. Very happy with it, gonna add more later after I wire up some more, will have to do some drilling and tear off panels to put them where I want.
    Last edited by spiro; 11-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    @DJSpearOh
    Style & Tech Package

Looks great!

So, as hinted at above, this is the equivalent to the factory package of "Interior Light Kit (PIO) - $250"?

Quote Originally Posted by micah67 View Post
    Looks great!

So, as hinted at above, this is the equivalent to the factory package of "Interior Light Kit (PIO) - $250"?
    I'm not sure what the Interior Light kit looks like, but my version is far less, can do multiple colors, and can cover as much or little of the car as I want.
    @DJSpearOh
    Style & Tech Package

Has anyone on here got the official Hyundai interior lighting kit? Do the footwell lights turn on and remain on when the headlights are on?

Attachment 10698Attachment 10699Attachment 10700

Done.

Cost $13 for LEDs on Ebay with controller. Very happy with it, gonna add more later after I wire up some more, will have to do some drilling and tear off panels to put them where I want.
    Those look good. Link to items purchased on eBay?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Autoguide
    -- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

hi i dont know a lot about electrical stuff....can i use the cigarette outlet as a power source to light up LEDs under the footwell?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rashad View Post
    hi i dont know a lot about electrical stuff....can i use the cigarette outlet as a power source to light up LEDs under the footwell?
    thanks
    Yes you may. Tho that is an "always on" power source so a switch is highly recommended.

I thought about that too, but at the same time, what, aside from the map lights, only comes on when the door opens? Wouldn't want those on with the headlights full time either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Actually no it's not, the power drops when the vehicle isn't running, at least on my V with my lights...

I bought my LEDs from LEDGlow. I got the fuse box connector with it and hooked it into the ABS fuse. That way they turn on when I turn the car on, I might switch it to the map lights fuse. Mine came with a control box to turn it off when I want and right now I stuck it under my E-brake which is annoying to get to when driving.

Quote Originally Posted by x_Diesel_x View Post
    Those look good. Link to items purchased on eBay?

1M RGB Flash Fade 5050 LED 9V 12V 16 Color IR Remote Control 4 Car Boat Marine | eBay

I used this from Ebay, came with 1 meter of lights, I ended up only using about 20 inches or so, cut into 2 10" strips, running in each of my foot wells. Its really easy to splice in by using a "Add A Circuit" from the auto parts store to just jack into your interiors fuse box, or splice into any 12v line, such as the ciggarette lighters. Buy an "L" size connector, from radio shack, to plug into the controller it comes with, run the 12v and ground to the L connector and solder the positive and ground.

You should be familiar with soldering or look into solderless connections, you can get 5-10 of them for about $5 on ebay, or use it as an opportunity to learn, as you would never use all meter of LEDs on a single application.
    @DJSpearOh
    Style & Tech Package

ok thanks

I got a LED kit a few weeks ago, and i was going to use the included "add a fuse", when i realized that it didnt fit the fuses that the Veloster has. Instead, i found an old 12V phone charger that had 2 wires, and just spliced it together. Very easy to do. It automatically comes on when the car is started, unless its unplugged, but the hardest part of the whole install is the placement of the LED strips

Quote Originally Posted by Evan L View Post
    I got a LED kit a few weeks ago, and i was going to use the included "add a fuse", when i realized that it didnt fit the fuses that the Veloster has. Instead, i found an old 12V phone charger that had 2 wires, and just spliced it together. Very easy to do. It automatically comes on when the car is started, unless its unplugged, but the hardest part of the whole install is the placement of the LED strips
    Yeah I got the "add a fuse" connection with mine so I just went out and got a 10amp fuse that was normal to go into the fuse connector and it worked for me.

Can we get a DIY?

1M RGB Flash Fade 5050 LED 9V 12V 16 Color IR Remote Control 4 Car Boat Marine | eBay

I used this from Ebay, came with 1 meter of lights, I ended up only using about 20 inches or so, cut into 2 10" strips, running in each of my foot wells. Its really easy to splice in by using a "Add A Circuit" from the auto parts store to just jack into your interiors fuse box, or splice into any 12v line, such as the ciggarette lighters. Buy an "L" size connector, from radio shack, to plug into the controller it comes with, run the 12v and ground to the L connector and solder the positive and ground.

You should be familiar with soldering or look into solderless connections, you can get 5-10 of them for about $5 on ebay, or use it as an opportunity to learn, as you would never use all meter of LEDs on a single application.
    Spiro, after cutting the strip into two, how does it plug back into the "LED controller box"?

Does it come with extra connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by x_Diesel_x View Post
    Spiro, after cutting the strip into two, how does it plug back into the "LED controller box"?

Does it come with extra connectors?

Sorry for the late response, but what I did was solder wires to each end of the strips, connecting them together that way, then shrink wrapping the solder points. I then had to thread the strip through my center console under the dash and hooked one end to the "LED controller box" the other end was terminated using electrical tape to keep it from shorting on any metal.
    @DJSpearOh
    Style & Tech Package

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements