NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: can you turn the touch screen/gps off at night?

can you turn the touch screen/gps off at night?

I ask because I heard that on certain cars the touch screen lights up the interior at night and there is no option to turn it off, what about on the veloster?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Yes. You can turn it off in the setup menu.

setup -> display -> power off IIRC
    Triathlon Gray Metallic > ALL!

I believe it will show the screensaver or clock once turned off. If you want to turn down the brightness on the touchscreen there is an option to do that.

Clock!!! I'd like to see the clock. I have never seen the clock on my display. I have to press the clock button to see it pop up.

Me too. What gives?
    Velsoteray - Blue, tech, tinted, totally debadged, black & blue custom paint and vinyl from wheels to roof.

Yes, go to settings and choose automatic for brightness of display -- it will then dim or brighten depending on amount of light (must be a sensor somewhere, or it is making assumptions based upon time of day). Whatever, that is the setting I have and the display is never to bright. Even the GPS background goes from white in the day to black at night. That kind of makes me think this is based on real time and actual sunset/sunrise times.

As for the clock:

Let's say I am listening to XM and it is displaying the info pertaining to XM. The time is still shown on that screen. If you hit info/setup up and choose info, you can choose clock. Maybe it would be the default screen if you had no music playing, no bluelink thing pulled up, etc. But, nonetheless, the time is always shown -- do you really need to see a image of a clock?
    Last edited by jkt1954; 02-20-2012 at 11:43 PM.

If you want have the display off when you turn off the system, disable the screen saver or select None.
    If you want the clock to display when the system is off, select the clock as the screensaver.
    2012 Marathon Blue Veloster | 2007 Lotus Exige S | 2010 Honda Fit
    Veloster Interface Design | Development Website | Full Veloster Review

Quote Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
    If you want have the display off when you turn off the system, disable the screen saver or select None.
    If you want the clock to display when the system is off, select the clock as the screensaver.
    Thanks, I thought that is what I had but I'll have to check again.

There is also a setting that you can adjust so the brightness will dim down more or less when it automatically dims. I prefer mine to be 1 notch above the dimmest setting at night. Anything else is far too bright for my tastes. I find it much easier on my eyes to transition from a dark-ish cockpit to out the windshield.

PB3
    I'd love it if the screen would default to the clock after a few minutes of inaction.
    VelosterGC likes this.

I finally seem to get my clock to display every now and then. For a while it was showing when I got in the car but now when I get it in seems my GPS wants to be the center of attention.

My clock was default screensaver display this never worked until I loaded some pictures. But now it is not showing up again as I said, the GPS is demanding my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by jkt1954 View Post
    it will then dim or brighten depending on amount of light (must be a sensor somewhere, or it is making assumptions based upon time of day). Whatever, that is the setting I have and the display is never to bright.
    From what I have read, the little bump that is near the center of the windshield behind the grill of the center channel speaker is the light sensor.
    Proud owner of a ULTRA BLACK Veloster named "Stink Bug" since Jan 3rd, 2012.

Alpine PDX-F4; Alpine PDX-M6; AudioControl LC2i w/ACR-1 (Awaiting Install)
    Injen SRI/CAI (INSTALLED 06/14/2012)
    Viper 3303 Alarm w/motion sensor (INSTALLED 05/02/12)
    ...waiting for more goodies

Its really help when you have sex with ur gf in car but u dont want to turn off the engine.

As mentioned previously, you can turn just the touchscreen off while the radio is on or off. Go through settings, display... The clock can be seen if you hold the power button. Pressing it turns off the radio and displays the info screen. Not exactly how I'd set it up but it works.

As for auto settings on brightness, my experience is that it doesn't exist. Brightness adjustment is only a set of sliders in settings that you can set for when the headlights are on or off. And even on the lowest setting, the brightness can still be a little bright at night, which brings me back to turning off the display.

Junior Member nathanheartsveloster's Avatar
    Pressing the Power button (volume knob) quickly just turns AV off. You have to long press this knob to "turn off" the system, thus showing the clock. It doesn't make sense to me but I know thats how you get the clock to stay up. The only dumb thing is you cannot listen to music while the clock is constantly visible..

bee
    im happy with the clock, but dont appear to have the date on screen ?

Quote Originally Posted by CFar View Post
    As mentioned previously, you can turn just the touchscreen off while the radio is on or off. Go through settings, display... The clock can be seen if you hold the power button. Pressing it turns off the radio and displays the info screen. Not exactly how I'd set it up but it works.

As for auto settings on brightness, my experience is that it doesn't exist. Brightness adjustment is only a set of sliders in settings that you can set for when the headlights are on or off. And even on the lowest setting, the brightness can still be a little bright at night, which brings me back to turning off the display.

I agree. I have mine set all the way to the lowest setting and it's still a little too bright. Not so much that it really bothers me, but I wish it went down just a little more.
    White/Red Tech Package

Quote Originally Posted by happy.time.harry View Post
    I agree. I have mine set all the way to the lowest setting and it's still a little too bright. Not so much that it really bothers me, but I wish it went down just a little more.
    2 potential solutions.
    Find some 85 or 90% tint(if they make it that light) and place it over the touchscreen.
    Or I believe there is some tinted clinging vinyl stuff for side windows that you could trim to size and place on screen. It might make the screen too dark though.

Has anyone come up with a solution to cut down the touch screen brightness at night? The settings don't do jack.

I'm wondering about having a screen made of plastic that i could place over the sucker. On my ten minute commute its ok but on my upcoming vacation I'm searching out solutions.

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements