NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Peeling Steering Wheel??

Got my third steering wheel on my 4th oil change. so far this one seems to be holding up

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Mine has been peeling for several months now. I took it in a couple of weeks ago and they ordered a new one for me. Just waiting for it to come in now. I too hope it is a different material, this thin coating of paper like material seems very cheap!

I'm now also a victim of the 'peeling steering wheel'. Funny it's in a spot I don't grip!

I have had my Veloster for 6 months. 7500 Miles. Same issue, steering wheel is peeling. It is not leather, and no, it's not dirty hands. I came here just for this reason. Glad/sad to see others with the same problem :/

Did you take it to the dealership? Was it free?

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku13 View Post
    Got my third steering wheel on my 4th oil change. so far this one seems to be holding up

THIRD?! Man... I'm ready to just deal with the one I have if it's that much of a hassle.

Reading this thread, I just bought a Wheelskins leather cover, bloody expensive at $65
    My forum, if you are Ex or Current Australian ADF http://www.tri-service.org/

I know better than to not have cover. Ive destroyed a few in my day. Now that these steering wheels are 400+ dollars its not worth screwing around.
    Cookie Monster-2013 Marathon Blue Veloster Turbo-Auto-Converted To Blue Interior,BD Customs FMIC, 2.5 in. Catless DP & CAI, NGM Coilovers, Hi/Lo/Fog HIDS, LEDS, Magnaflow Exhaust,Forge BOV,65A Poly Engine Mounts,Poly Exhaust Hangers,Import Shark STB,Maintec Torsion Bar, "Veloster Turbo" Acrylic Plates,Gold Rota P45 18x8 Kuhmo 4X 225/40/18s,Sequence Devil Claws,KDM Headlights, Weathertech Mats And Visors, TurboXS Billet Oil Cap

2009 Performance White Shelby GT500-725 Rwhp 676 Rwtrq- SOLD

Add me to the list. I don't want to have to replace more than once though. I'm assuming the replacement will be the same way, wondering if I should put tape on it. My peeling is just in the top section between 10 and 2....

Went in today and told them about this forum, showed them my steering wheel and they ordered me a new one. Should be here in a week.

MTD
    Me old Elantra needed a new wheel and so did a BUNCH of Genesis owners. It appears the newer wheels have a different material. Both my VT and my Genesis wheels are perfect.
    '13 VT

This thread is long enough, but I thought I should still add that mine is peeling too. Started about 3 months ago at around 5 months old with around 10,000 miles. Taking it in next week.
    Thanks for all the posts!
    White/Red Tech Package

Once upon a time there was a post about someone with a split ridge in their steering wheel at the top half, rear surface.

So far I've yet to find that post, but I can now attest that my steering wheel is failing the same way, next time in to the dealer I'll stop by early and get them to order the part. Worst part? I forgot to mention it when kermit was in for an oil chance and things falling apart visit last week.
    off to the the dark side

Does everyone have 2012's? I have a '13 and wondered if this year could be affected too.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by MTD View Post
    Me old Elantra needed a new wheel and so did a BUNCH of Genesis owners. It appears the newer wheels have a different material. Both my VT and my Genesis wheels are perfect.
    My old Elantra peeled too after some time. It could be the old material was simply reacting to UV and nothing people in the community is doing. Hopefully the current material is better and will last. I can only imagine how annoying it is for everyone so far as it was not a nice experience in the Elantra.
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

My '12 V is also peeling 5 mos old and almost 9000 miles. Next visit Ill see what they say..

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Update:
    Just got mine replaced today. Maybe because it's new, but the wheel definitely feels like it made of some kind of different material. It feels much more durable, so we'll see. But it's still not leather.
    The service agent told me it's a problem they are seeing on a lot of Velosters, and have seen it also on Elantras, and some Sonatas. He told me that Hyundai's official position is that they will replace it once, and if it peels again the cost would be on me. I told him that if it peels again while it's under warranty, I'm bringing it in and they are going to replace it on their dime or there is going to be trouble.
    He then told me that despite what Hyundai is saying, they wouldn't refuse to replace it under warranty.

Anyway, just based on the way the new wheel feels, I doubt it's going to peel again. I'm pretty sure Hyundai changed the material they're using.
    White/Red Tech Package

Quote Originally Posted by BKamp613 View Post
    Does everyone have 2012's? I have a '13 and wondered if this year could be affected too.

Indeed.

Has there been an incident in a 2013 MY?..

Every time I wash my car I pay extra attention to the steering wheel to see if any damage is present at all. Nothing yet.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Autoguide
    -- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

Noticed yesterday a small area on the back of the wheel (3 o'clock) has de-laminated. Maybe the size of a quarter. I can mush it back down and it stuck until I noticed it again this morning.

It could easily get a hole in it. I'll have to mention it to the dealer when I go in for a rattle fix (for the 5th time). 2,035 miles

BTW: I don't hold the wheel in that area. Typically 6, 9, or 12.

Last edited by BKamp613; 01-21-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Taking mine this week, has any one had problems with the shift knob pealing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements