NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Hyundai, Kia Admit Fuel Economy Numbers Not Accurate

Hyundai, Kia Admit Fuel Economy Numbers Not Accurate

Korean automakers Hyundai and Kia have admitted to overstating fuel mileage claims on most of their models over the past three years, and will now be forced to pay back car owners for their embarrassing error.

Both automakers will begin to retrofit their cars with new window stickers immediately, that reduce the fuel consumption ratings by up to 6 mpg depending on the vehicle model. The companies are being forced to reimburse around 900,000 customers, for the entire lifetime that they own the vehicle. The reimbursement amount will be based on the mileage of the vehicle, and will attempt to pay back money that the owners would have saved if the fuel mileage rating was originally correct. Additionally, Hyundai and Kia will add on 15 percent to help compensate for the inconvenience this has caused.

An audit by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) revealed that the brands turned in numbers that did not match their own test results on these cars, and an investigation is now being launched into all of the automakers vehicles.

Hyundai and Kia claim that the error was unintentional, and have already issued a public apology for the error.
    See the complete story on the Hyundai/Kia Fuel Economy Numbers at AutoGuide.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Looks like everyone complaining about MPG's had a good reason.
    mrselfdestruct likes this.

How much money do we have coming???? Hmm, maybe a few more bucks to put down on that new VT!!!!
    Vitamin C Turbo Automatic Ultimate 2013
    Purchased 11/2012
    MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Windows and Roof Tint

Looks like I will have to drive my VT to the ground so I can keep using these yearly cheques to pay for the R&M from year to year. Sweet. LOL
    Squirtle: 2013 Ocean Blue Veloster Turbo
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

KBM
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTheGeeks View Post
    How much money do we have coming???? Hmm, maybe a few more bucks to put down on that new VT!!!!
    About $130 (based on 2012 NAV w/DCT driving 15,000 miles and avg gas price of $3.60)
    texascat2 likes this.

I really hope this will apply to everyone. I don't want to lose out on these =(
    ARK - Continental - Diode Dynamics - Enkei - Firstech - HELLA - Injen - Jun B.L - KONI - LLumar - Michelin - Morimoto - Motul - PIAA - Pierce Motorsports - Pittasoft - Rally Armor - Saikou Michi - SOLO - Torque Solution - TRS - Turbosocks - UNIQ - Whiteline - Work

It's hard to tell at this point, it was the EPA, as far as I know a US Gov't entity, that performed the investigation and found there practices to be wrong, which effects the advertised MPGs, not sure what is advertised to Canada.
    2013 Vitamin C VT M/T Ultimate
    @DJSpearOh
    Sold: 2012 Ironman Silver Veloster DCT
    Style & Tech Package

I like the way they have fessed up to the error and immediately have a plan in place to compensate owners without months or years of fighting in courts. We may never know if the error was intentional, but at least we get a few bucks back for the mistake.
    bxveloster and texascat2 like this.
    2012 NAV / Tech Pkg, Born 7/24/11, Mine 9/17/11, 6MT, Boston Red, R/B Seats.
    Inovit Force 5 18x8 +42 wheels, Saikou Michi Micro Catch Can, InJen SRI, Tint
    25% around, 10% Roof.
    LED Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Interior & License Plate Lights. Custom exhaust tips,
    6000K Xenon HID, 6000k HID Fogs. 45k miles as of 2/13/14.

They better be doing this for us Canadians too!
    Last edited by k2seh; 11-02-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    (I'm a NEWB, don't shoot me O.o)

^^^ damn right!!
    2013 Elantra GLS 6MT in White "Daily Driver"
    2001 Mustang Bullitt in True Blue 1 of 23 in Canada "Summer Toy"

I wonder if they will make you sign a document stating you will not sue them for the misadvertisement. If so this is quite a genius move to curb the financial backlash from the years in court, and eventual settlements, some people will take the money without ever thinking about going to court.
    2013 Vitamin C VT M/T Ultimate
    @DJSpearOh
    Sold: 2012 Ironman Silver Veloster DCT
    Style & Tech Package

Us Canadians, will also get reimbursed as well.

Hyundai Fuel Consumption Ratings | MPG Information
    2013 Elantra GLS 6MT in White "Daily Driver"
    2001 Mustang Bullitt in True Blue 1 of 23 in Canada "Summer Toy"

Quote Originally Posted by spiro View Post
    I wonder if they will make you sign a document stating you will not sue them for the misadvertisement. If so this is quite a genius move to curb the financial backlash from the years in court, and eventual settlements, some people will take the money without ever thinking about going to court.
    Not sure what suing would do if they are offering this. They are compensating for the amount that is lost. That's usually about as much as the courts would award in this situation. The legal fees would eat up any cash back received from Hyundai/Kia.

Nonetheless, nice to know we'll have a small gift once in a while.
    texascat2 likes this.
    2013 Veloster Turbo | Matte Gray | Ultimate Package

Wow that is interesting...only if I had mine for longer...

But having 14,000 miles on mine in 4 months should still be a good amount.

Also on the Hyundai website: https://hyundaimpginfo.com/

If your vehicle qualifies, our upcoming website tool will provide an estimate of your reimbursement amount, which will be based on the model you own, your odometer reading, and the average gas price in your area. In addition, as an acknowledgement of the inconvenience this may cause, we will add an extra 15% to your reimbursement amount. Your actual reimbursement amount may vary. The website tool will be available on November 3, 2012.
    And our car is on the list of qualifying vehicles

Hyundai_Guy just posted the Canadian link:
    http://www.veloster.org/forum/13-hyu...tml#post143037

Officially ready for November 6th for CDNs:
    Hyundai Fuel Consumption Ratings | MPG Information

I've been averaging 38mpg with my M/T base. Now that the model is being cut from 40mpg to 37mpg, I'm officially hyper-miling! Sorta pissed, but not really. I'm still a Veloster fan. Now, where's my compensation check?

18,000 on mine! Show me the money! LOL
    2012 Yellow Veloster DCT with Style and Tech package.
    LED Back-up lights.
    Tinted 20% with 15% in both rear windows.
    Hyundai Cargo Tray for Sub-woofer.
    Nokya 881 Arctic Hyper Yellow 2500k Fog Lights
    LED Rear License Plate Lights
    Built 12-5-11 Bought 2-28-12

Senior Member Victorious Secret's Avatar
    I have to chime in here because I did notice that my mileage wasn't AS AWESOME as I thought it would be.

That being said, I drive with a heavy right foot and my average per tank right now is 475km.

Mirrors what my Focus gets.

My trust Excel sheet says I'm at 24MPG overall on the Veloster, the Focus sits at 26MPG.

So yea, I feel a bit cheated but is enough to really loose sleep over this? Not really to be honest.

I do appreciate that they are doing this, sure it will cost them and they may even see some class actions but overall its better then making us all think our cars are broken or something or that we actually suck as drivers.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster w/DCT in Ironman Silver

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com

MTD
    Isn't the EPA the same group that does the initial testing anyway? My fuel economy is good enough for me, but a some cash back never hurt.

My Genesis isn't on the list. But it's not exactly marketed as an econo car lol.
    texascat2 likes this.
    '13 VT

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements