NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums – General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Detroit 2011: Hyundai Veloster World Premiere… Finally!

Detroit 2011: Hyundai Veloster World Premiere… Finally!

A car designed by and for Generation Y, the Hyundai Veloster has finally been revealed at the Detroit Auto Show. Powered by a 1.6-liter 4-cylinder engine that makes 138-hp and 123 ft-lbs of torque, Hyundai will offer the car with either a 6-speed manual or a dual-clutch 6-speed automatic. Designed to deliver sporty performance, Hyundai is also claiming a 40-mpg highway rating, putting it ahead of all competitors in this segment.

In the looks department, Hyundai continues to deliver, with the Veloster the latest attractive package that will have no problem drawing younger buyers into showrooms – thanks in part to accentuated fenders and standard 17-inch wheels (18s are optional). Defying any categorization, the Veloster is neither a hatchback nor is it a coupe, with two doors on the passenger side, but only one on the driver's side.

Another big selling feature is certain to be the standard 7-inch LCD touch-screen, as well as Hyundai's new Blue Link telematics system – essentially Hyundai's version of OnStar. Blue Link will offer safety features like Automatic Crash Notification and roadside assistance, while it also enables voice text messaging, remote vehicle start, remote door opening, and plenty of other features.

Aiding in the overall driving dynamics is a notably low curb weight, with the manual transmission models just 2,584 lbs, while dual-clutch automatics weigh 2,657 lbs. That's less than a Honda CR-Z and only slight more than a MINI Cooper. The Veloster does, however, use a torsion beam suspension. Normally not ideal when building a sporty package, Honda has defied that notion with the Fit and CR-Z.

Available options include leather seats and a 450-watt 8-speaker audio system. Set to go on sale soon, the Veloster will be available in an array of brilliant colors, including Century White, Ironman Silver, Triathlon Gray, Ultra Black, Marathon Blue, Electrolyte Green, 26.2 Yellow, Vitamin C (Orange), or Boston Red.

More: Detroit 2011: Hyundai Veloster World Premiere… Finally! on AutoGuide.com

More on the 2010 Detroit Auto Show on AutoGuide.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Love it. The only thing I don't like about the design is the "dip" just below the grill. But its a minor gripe. Great integration of the third door. Its a winner.

go ahead and start a century white to the greater DC area please. thanks

Hyundai did a good job making a CR-Z

The Veloster looks really good, stats are nice too. The real test will be driving one. Hopefully we can see some Veloster reviews soon.

I dont like the dip either. But I did a quick and sloppy photochop with the panel blacked out. Looks more like the concept. Someone do a more professional job please. I'm not a photoshop user.

Quote Originally Posted by HJC73734 View Post
    I dont like the dip either. But I did a quick and sloppy photochop with the panel blacked out. Looks more like the concept. Someone do a more professional job please. I'm not a photoshop user.

What a difference. Im not a fan of the dip....but i think it ad's to the Veloster's character. Too bad i don't have photoshop anymore or else i could do some chops.

Its funny b/c the rest of the car looks well done, the integration of the third door is as seamless as could be expected. But the little dip looks oddly out of place almost like a last minute addition to the front end b/c the designers wanted to avoid the trout mouth on cars like the GT-R or Lancer.

No matter, I want black anyway so it makes no difference to me. I'm wondering though whether the turbo version will have a slightly revised facia.

This is how they should have made it :

Really wouldn't be too hard to repaint that front dip though, there's even a cut-off line if you look closely.

Quote Originally Posted by acheddadi View Post
    This is how they should have made it :

Really wouldn't be too hard to repaint that front dip though, there's even a cut-off line if you look closely.
    Looks good! Car looks even better in white. They should have also showed off some normal colors like black, red, white, instead of those freakish green and orange. How many of those do they sell?

MTD
    Looks great IMO, especially on paper and with some of the available features and options. I wish it either didnt have that rear door or had it on both sides, but its not a deal breaker.

And I agree, the front looks much better with the blacked-out portion. Make mine in that matte silver colour and with a turbo.

The best way to execute blacking out that front dip in real life is 3M vinyl! That calls for a DIY later on when the Veloster is released

Like I said, start me a white one this way

14. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements