Veloster Forum banner

Toby's VT R-Spec Red Zone Build?

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SimilarWalnut 
#1 ·
So I don't know how much I will actually do to my VT but I thought I'd start this anyway. I've owned a lot of cars...a lot. I mean, a lot...really. But nothing as fun (faster, but not as fun) as my first new car a 1992 Plymouth Sundance Duster.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

That isn't mine in the picture, but it looked a lot like that. 5 speed, 141hp 3.0 V6 (yeah, V6 with 141hp) that I drove for almost 10 years. It was even pictured in the "Readers Rides" section of Sport Compact Car magazine WAY back in the day. Maybe some day I'll find my pictures of it. Anyways, I mentioned that ride because in a lot of ways, almost 25 years later my 2016 Veloster Turbo took me back with just one test drive. It's the first car in a long time that I want to get out and just drive. Maybe it's the manual transmission (until a recent back surgery I couldn't count on my left leg behaving enough to drive a stick) I'm not sure but I do know that my old saying "If you're not having fun you're wasting the gas" came to mind right away.

Why Red Zone? Well one of my other rides is a 2014 Kia Soul Red Zone.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Kia soul

It's fun in it's own way, and is my second Kia Soul. I bought it because I loved the look of the white with red accents. When I realized the R-Spec I found was white and had a red interior I knew I wanted to play around with that white/red combo again so...

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec Red Zone is born...

The day I brought it home I removed the terrible pin stripe and started playing with some red plasti dip. I didn't think about it when I took these pics but you can see my Red Zone Soul in the background!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Hyundai

I've ordered a couple of things so more to come!

See less See more
#9 ·
3M Paint Defender done! It's a little less than perfect so lessons learned:

1. Close the garage door before you start. There was no wind and it had just been washed...and was waxed (per instructions) just moments before spraying but still has some specks on it. If no garage...be very thoughtful of any wind and clean, clean, clean.
2. Get the spray trigger handle. Since you spray all 3 coats with no pause it gets really hard to hold that nozzle down that long. One of the firmest I've ever used.
3. Make sure the "kit" includes everything before getting ready to go. Mine was missing the packet of wax. Make sure the instructions are there..they are quite good and should be read before you begin!

I think it turned out looking pretty good all things considered. I'll probably do it again in a few months and hopefully do a better job but for 25 bucks, it's worth it for the protection.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hood

Reactions: Zach
#10 ·
Trying to link to photobucket on this one...Before and after 35% tint all around. Am going to try to get better pics but this is what I have for now. (before you ask, in NC anything darker than 35% will fail inspection)

Before:

After:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.