NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18 inch Tires in Winter

18 inch Tires in Winter

Are the 18 inch tires OK that come with the Style or Tech pkg OK for Winter driving? My 08 Lexus IS has Summer performance tires that are useless below freezing or in snow. I live in No CA so it would be very infrequent so no need for snow tires.
    Also, any idea how long the Veloster 18 inch tires should last? The Summer performance on the Lexus only last 20-25K miles and are very $$$.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Many will have different opinions and experiences in this area, and "winter driving" means different things to different people (i.e., does that mean driving when it's 50 and raining, or driving when it's 20 below zero and 1 foot of packed snow?).

My experience is that the size of the tire hasn't mattered to me, but having an actual winter/snow tire is of utmost importance. I put snow tires on my 18"/19" Lotus Evora and it was spectacular in the snow - better than my wife's all wheel drive with 16" tires. Trying to drive summer performance tires in cold weather (below 40) is very dangerous, and driving with all seasons has been barely adequate.

Again, all just my opinion/experience. I've already ordered my separate snow tires for my Veloster (and a set of base 17" wheels to go with 'em).

yeah summer tires are designed to work at a warmer temperature and they have no adhesion to the road anymore when it gets too cold.

winter tires us a softer compound that is specific to snowy/cold conditions. This is why they grip the snow (softer compound).

and if your in cali i would not worry about it, you'll be fine. you should see about 20k from the 18's. But is also depends on your driving style.
    Silver Certified Hyundai tech turned Sonographer

AND blogger? Check it out! All Things Hyundai.
    http://allthingshyundai.blogspot.com/

"Yes yes, you are a well informed man, but this is just confirmation of your genius! " Haptic
    QFTMFT!!!

What the heck should I put on a car for driving in the rain in the 30's-40's...I've always just used all season's. It's not snow, but it's definitely not summer coming up soon.

MTD
    I would think that during light snow and rain that the stock all-season tires will suffice. I drove my Elantra last winter in pretty heavy snow with the all-seasons and I didnt have any issues. The TCS and ABS work wonders.

The 18 inch tires on the Veloster are not all season tires, correct? I got caught in a freak late May snowstorm with cold temps at Yosemite with the Lexus Summer performance tires and ended up not driving it until the temps crept up. Those tires are fine in rain and above 40 degrees Farenheit.

Our Canadian Tech version with 18" is all season. I'm going to downgrade to 17" for snow tire & wheel.

My 2

OEM 18" tires will be ok for a Northern California winter as long as caution is used

Aftermarket snows or performance snows on 17" wheels would be better, but the cost of this has to be weighed against how often there will be actual snow on the road and not just wet and slush

In addition, as this car has TPMS this opens up a whole new level of complexity
    - do you buy a second set of sensors for the second set of wheels?
    - do you just mount and remount summer/winter tires and not buy extra wheels and sensors?
    - do you just buy a second set of wheels and live with the orange dash warning light when the not TPMS wheels are on the car?
    - does Hyundai offer an easy way to flash the memory when a second set of TPMS wheels are put onto the car or do you have to go to the dealer for this memory flash?
    3H2H1 = THREE HONDAS TO HYUNDAI ONE = 이것이 제 첫번째 현대 될 것이다

A PICTURE BELONGS HERE, PLEASE LET ME HAVE THAT, PLEASE...

Quote Originally Posted by Petabyte View Post
    Our Canadian Tech version with 18" is all season. I'm going to downgrade to 17" for snow tire & wheel.
    For you in Markham, going to 17" for the winter is actually an upgrade from the 18"
    3H2H1 = THREE HONDAS TO HYUNDAI ONE = 이것이 제 첫번째 현대 될 것이다

A PICTURE BELONGS HERE, PLEASE LET ME HAVE THAT, PLEASE...

Our Canadian version didn't come with TPMS so we don't have to concern about it.
    Only drove the nice paint insert wheel for several weeks then need to change. I'll miss them. Well, if it's just the silver type like the Base package, i'll let it go for the winter also and save money. I can't imagine how the orange paint insert wheel will look like on dirty snow.
    Still looking for the 17" alloy wheel. Tried to ask the our local dealer and they didn't have any 17" wheel. Also no Veloster accessory available yet!

MTD
    Try SimplyTire or Tires23. They both have a huge selection of wheels.

You will save alot of $$$ by going down to 15". Steel wheels and tires can be had for $600-700 easy.
    '13 VT

My trade-in ( 98 bmw z3 ) had michelin all season tires on them and they were fine ( here in ohio ).As stated,your driving habits and conditions will be a big factor.

When I bought my Veloster,I asked if these tires were summer or all season.They are all season,if they had been summer I would have had them put on the all season before buying the car.

I assume you have the Style and/or Tech with the 18 inch wheels? In my experience all season last longer than Summer tires. Does anybody find the ride harsh- some reviews seem to indicate that and the roads in No CA suck.

Being here in Wisconsin the answer is no, the 18's that come with the V are definitely not OK to use in the Winter. Typically you're going to want a smaller diameter wheel/tire to help cut through the snow and give you a little more rubber bite which is why you downsize.

I went with a 16" down from an 18" so we'll see how it goes!

-RT

The 18" tires on my Canadian Tech package V's are winter rated (snowflake symbol), oddly enough. I wouldn't want to drive with those rims in the winter anyway, since they'd pick up so much snow in a storm, they'd throw the wheel balance off.

Just go with 15" steelies, if you live anywhere they salt the roads. Alloys will corrode and look like crap after a couple of years in these conditions. Why spend more on something that won't last as long? Also, black steelies kind of have a sinister look to them, IMO.

Who is looking at your rims in the winter anyway? Everyone's car is so caked with road salt that you can't tell what colour they are until spring (since it's too cold to wash them, unless you want to die in an ice cocoon).

17. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements