Veloster Forum banner

Vibrating at high speed - Help!

5K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  VeloXXX 
#1 ·
Hello, Thanks for reading my post. I am in need of some in depth help with a persistent issue dealing with vibrating which is most pronounced at high speeds, but can be felt at low speed as well.

Things I have done so far to try to fix this:

All 4 rotors and pads, all 4 new wheels to fix 2 bent front stock wheels. Wheels were balanced several times.
Dealer said no suspension/ axle problems

Now to the confusing part. I bought 4 aftermarket wheels from a company called Vision. I got aluminum hub centric rings for them to fit 67.1 to 73.1, from our hub to the wheel opening. I also got tapered lugnuts with a slight bulge to help center the wheels on the hub. The dealer could not find anything wrong with anything other than the lug nuts being somehow wrong. They said that everytime they tried to bolt down the lugs, that the wheel was slightly not centered. Is this ringing a bell to anyone? Is there something in the wheel-hub-lugnuts- stud equation I am missing? Are there lug nuts needed to center them further on the hub? I am about $950 deep in this right now and my patience is wearing thin. Counting the dealer, I have taken the car to 4 different places and gotten 4 different opinions. I have fixed each one of them step by step with no success.

Thanks for reading.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, the centering of the wheels is the question BUT it could be something altogether different too. I have actually used 3 sets of lugs so far. Stock, some straight tuner ones, and a set of spline tapered ones from Autozone. Nothing super expensive but they were't 9 bucks on ebay or anything.

The vibrating was happening before any of this yea. It went like this: Mieneke > do rear brakes (rear brakes done) - Town Faire Tire > your two front wheels are bent (got 4 aftermarket wheels) - NTB > You need hub centric rings (got hub centric rings) - Dealer > you need different lug nuts (I got different lug nuts and a new more precise hub centric ring). I did the front brakes as well after the wheels didn't fix it the first time.

Given the rings and lugs, I don't know how else to determine if the wheels are centered. I thought the lugs pulling the wheels onto the studs was enough but I did extra.

#8 ·
That's exactly what I told them haha. One of them was slightly off when I bought it about 14 months ago but they balanced it back to a usable state. The other one, I have no idea, unless they were wrong, or trying to get me to buy wheels from them. There was a small amount of curb rash on them but no dents or anything else on them. I still have them, I hit nothing.

#12 · (Edited)
Clearly they didn't look very well. I have quite a number of friends who work for dealers as mechanics so I know that generally speaking, they're retarded lol.

I'd take it to a reputable mechanic shop to have it diagnosed. They will bone you for $120 probably but they should be able to find the issue. From the looks of it, you've only visited tardville, tard central, Capitol of tards and "yeah".

#13 ·
Could not agree more about those freakin places I went to. I didn't grow up around here and with the aftermarket wheels and stuff, I think maybe a tuner shop might be a good idea? I was thinking like, an old 60 year old guy who fixed cars for 35 years but that guy might overlook the wheel issue, or like the dealer, not even know what a hub centric ring was. But it's hard to find a place that knows their ****. I'm in Manchester, NH. Maybe just Yelp? I dunno.

#15 ·
up in my area?

Precision tire and alignment

• 1211 Massachusetts Avenue
    Arlington, MA 02476
    Phone number (781) 643-8473

#18 ·
it is for me too, but the locals that frequent the 3 race tracks in our area love this place.

#17 ·
Wheel/tire vibration at speed (50-60 mph) is normally caused by unbalanced tire/wheel.
If it's a defect or damage you would most probably feel some twitchiness or flutter at really low speeds on a smooth surface.

Defective tire (out of true or balance). May have a bulge or tread shows to be running out.
Bent rim (wheel running out of true .. side to side)
Wheel not centered on hub .. wheel will run out of true up and down
Thrown a balance weight
Damaged drive shaft causing vibration

If front wheel you'll feel it in the steering wheel, if rear wheel the whole car will shake.

#19 ·
Thanks for your post.

The wheels were balanced a couple times on the current, brand new set of wheels. So the tires, wheels, and balancing are not the issue. It was done by a tire shop and secondly, by the dealer. The wheels are centered by hub centric rings and conical 60 degree lug nuts. After further reading, many people ONLY use the conical lugs to keep the wheel centered on the hub, but I have gone the extra mile and got the rings as well.

As for the feel, there is a small flutter/ shimmy at around 40 mph and from 55-85 it moves more noticeably, especially in the seat and somewhat in the steering wheel. After 85, it feels much smoother, but upon hitting the brakes, and backing off them, the vibration comes back when the car slows down.

The driveshaft is fine as well as the other parts, per the dealer. I may not believe it, but it's the information I have to go on as of now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.