Veloster Forum banner

Turbo Failure - Lack of Boost (P0299)

45K views 63 replies 17 participants last post by  luisda666 
#1 ·
Alright about time that I post my story with my 2013 VT in hopes that it will help others in troubleshooting a possible major issue without too much run around.

SYMPTOM:
It happened predominantly when I was accelerating on an uphill incline usually onto a freeway (usually at about 90kph off an exit picking up speed to 100kph in a cloverleaf) Coming off the ramp I would be accelerating like normal and then all of a sudden it bogs down and I loose all boost. No turbo sound, engine light to follow. Like the engine is being deprived of something. I am able to maintain speed but not accelerate very well. The rest of the trip I almost hear the turbo but it does not seem to actuate at all. Odd times the function would return, other times while the engine light was on (P0299 code) I would get crappy fuel milage and intermittent turbo boosts. It did also happen at random, not pushing the car at all, just daily driving.

No mods at this point.

Bought the car November 2012.

June 28, 2013 (@16891km)- First sign of the 'P0299 Boost Pressure Sensor Code'. Dealership cleared it and sent me on my way.

July 3, 2013 (@16899km)- Brought it back as soon as the symptoms came back and engine light was on. Ordered Boost Value.

Aug 2, 2013 (@17002km)- Dealership replaced boost valve. Stated in the w/o HYTAC needs to be contacted if code returns.

(Missing paperwork, at some point they told me they were going to replace the Air Filter, suspecting it may be clogging the turbo??? I shook my head at this one. They tried to make me pay for it too.. Didn't fly lol)

Aug 14, 2013 (@17239km)- P0299. Read the code and cleared it, said they would get back to me as soon as they talk to HYTAC.

Aug 30, 2013 (@21290km)- P0299. Same symptoms stated above. Stating internal fault with map sensor. They replaced the Map Sensor.

Sept 5, 2013 (@21315km)- Dealership found poor terminal connection on the ECU. Reseated connection, tested three times. Tested ok. Boost returned to normal.

Was good for a while... Almost went a whole year worry free! lol

August 14, 2014 (@48556km)- Suspected issue with Waste gate not operating. Ordered the whole Turbo Assembly, (waste gate is attached to the assy)

Sept 5, 2014 (@51214km)- New Turbo installed. At the time I also let them know the radio has gone defective (pixel lines and freezing between backup camera and normal mode, super glitchy) Ordered new Head Unit.

Oct 3, 2014 (@53803km)- Installed new Head Unit. (I still fall 7-10 mins behind every month if its not on GPS mode.. Can only have it on Daylight savings mode during the summer. Winter it never keeps time haha)

Jan 7, 2015 (@67429km)- Was in for an oil change and had a strange engine code come on. P0441 'Small EVAP Leak'. Dealer cleared it suspecting I didn't tighten my gas cap all the way. (Pretty sure I did but with the cold weather they said the seals have been known to go on them as a more common issue)

Jan 18, 2015 (@70000km)- Finally got excited and confident again in the car, so I bought a Hyundai Performance Axle-back Exhaust and installed it myself.
(Been dying to do any mods to it.. Frankly with all the issues it worried me to do anything to it... I still have so much planned. Intake is gonna be next!)

Jan 23, 2015 (@70297km)- P0441 returned, ordered Fuel Cap, installed it the next day while I waited.

Feb 19, 2015 (@73947km)- P0441 back again! Stating 'Incorrect Valve Purge'. Purge Valve Solenoid ordered. Installed it 2 days late. No issue since.

Jun 9, 2015 (@89721km)- I found a small hole in the shifter boot crease that seemed to abnormally worn out. I brought it to the dealer so they could take a picture and send it in to see if warranty would cover it. Not even an hour after leaving did the P0299 killed me. Accelerating up a hill, lost all boost. Very sad day. I wanted to drive it off a cliff at this point. It failed really bad this time around. Constant spool, sounded like a semi truck revving up a hill...
BUT keeping calm and collect, I called my buddy at another dealership. Got a second opinion. They ordered another turbo assembly and installed it today. I pick up the car tomorrow.

I am almost 10000km from warranty expiring. My letter to Hyundai Canada entailed people should buy extended warranty for reassurance. NOT for lack of reliability. I told them I want confidence in the car again. Unfortunately I do not have that yet. Awaiting a full response from them right now...

I pick up my car tomorrow at least and I am excited to be driving it again. This is still on going... I have a MyRide spoiler I haven't even got around to painting yet and tail light reflector LEDs to put in.. Just from lack of inspiration that this car is going to live up to my dreams. Lets see where Hyundai Canada gets me!

Long read, but I hope it serves to be useful!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hyundai veloster

See less See more
Reactions: orbeavhawk
#2 ·
I feel for you. though it's not common I've heard stories like yours (I'm an auto tech), not just Hyundai, but every car company. we really need something in Canada like the lemon law in the US

#3 ·
I agree. That's why even though the car is apparently "fixed" right now. I will be less likely to drive it. My daily commute is 80km one way to work. So about 160km daily. I will hit 100000km within weeks. I'm stuck driving my fiancé's Dodge Ram back and forth for a while until this is sorted.

Hyundai needs to stand by its brand and fix the product. If they want to keep a positive customer happy they must do something for me. When people ask how I like my Hyundai, I can tell them I love to drive it but do you think this is the full story they want me to tell as well? It's frustrating to say the least. I've kept my cool and patience. I'd rather share a positive experience of how they resolved my issue.
Problem is when warranty expires, so does my patience.

#4 ·
Sorry for your troubles op. Yes indeed the 13s specially the early models came out full of issues. From oil starvation to fuel issues to just weak internals. It has been discussed multiple times. Do you know if your dealer updated your vt with the new ecu/ecm files? Also push for a fuel line replacement if you can.

#5 ·
Blah, that's crappy to know. I will ask the dealership in regards to the ECU update and fuel line replacement. Was it listed as a recall by chance? or just a known issue? Glad I posted this tonight. Gives me more ammo for tomorrow. Much appreciated!

#16 ·
... I will ask the dealership in regards to the ECU update and fuel line replacement. ..
.. I did go into the dealership and asked them not only to check for an ECU flash but run it for the fuel line recall. Apparently mine is not requesting either of those to be done against the VIN... Thanks for the info though, at least it made me look like I'm ahead of the game. ..
Been there, done that .. and got the same 'deer in the headlights' response you did :)

Which dealer are you using (CHills or CalH)?
I thought my having an A/T and an ECM/TCM replacement a year or so ago was bad enough

#6 ·
#7 ·
Well for a quick update since my last post. I did go into the dealership and asked them not only to check for an ECU flash but run it for the fuel line recall. Apparently mine is not requesting either of those to be done against the VIN... Thanks for the info though, at least it made me look like I'm ahead of the game.

Getting the car back from the dealership after turbo number 2 was installed. 1200km later it failed again. P0299. Dealership took it back, tossed me a loaner and ran further diagnostics. I got a call back that day after they did some thorough digging and more talks with HYTAC. Guess what they said!? Another turbo! HYTAC stated its possible... POSSIBLE that I have had a my run of luck when it comes to defective Turbos. I'ma go out on a limb here and call BS. Anyway. They expedite another turbo assembly.
But they did conclude that the turbo is getting too much of a heat build up which is causing the waste gate rod to get stuck open. They reset the code, the turbo goes back to normal until another heat build up is created (by driving, accelerating and spooling the turbo) in some cases now the turbo will not reset though due to damage (caused by the dealership troubleshooting it much harder then my normal driving)

They ordered another turbo. Number 3. Installed it pretty promptly (must be getting go at it by now lol) and told me they would troubleshoot it this past Saturday (July 18), as it was far too rainy on Friday for them to test it properly. I got a call bright and early Saturday morning saying the turbo failed again and that the car would not be ready this upcoming week for pick up as they intended.

I spoke to Hyundai Canada again today and hopefully lit the fire under their asses about getting this dealt with now and no more beating around the bush. The reason the car was good for long periods at a time is because it was winter. The defect has been with the car since I bought it. I am hoping they realize this now. We will see how things go...

#9 ·
It doesn't seem like a common issue at all. I would now suggest avoiding any 2013's lol but honestly I'm sharing my story in hopes of helping others with early diagnosing a pretty fluke incident. I love the car itself, it is one of the most fun eco-cars available and lots of upgrade "fun" options. If Hyundai can correct this issue and take the bad taste out of my mouth when it comes to buying a Hyundai I will be very happy. I just hope they come to the conclusion to replace the car sooner rather then later.

#11 ·
Jesus 3 turbos?? Bad bad ecu. U must have a lot of patience Luna. I would b all over local news demanding a detailed and speedy answer and an immediate solution from Hyundai. Sucks :/

#19 ·
Not like in the U.S... We have a program through the provincial government that assists people who think they bought a lemon. But they don't call it a 'law'. It basically forces the dealership to buy back the car. I'm in talks with Hyundai Canada to see what they can do to rectify the issue before it escalates to that. Since if that happens I will be without a car. (not in a financial position) And not even sure if they would pay off the whole loan or just what the car blackbooks at. Trying to avoid that road but if a cross path comes to it, it might be my only option...

#22 ·
I live in the US and have a 2013 VT. I had the fuel pump go out before I even owned it 3 months. And at 60,000 miles the ignition coil went out. My car did something similar to yours when the ignition coil was going out. It hesitated whenever you tried to kick in the turbo - regular driving was fine. I've had the ignition coil replaced for about 3 weeks now with no issues. I didn't get any of the error codes that you did, but my check engine light did come on.

#23 ·
I have a 2013 VT and have been having the same exact problem. I've had it to the dealer 3 times now. This last time they pretty much told me there was no codes showing and I was imagining it. I've even had it to 2 different dealers for a second opinion. I totally feel your pain. I just want to run it off a cliff at times. BTW I had the fuel line recall done 2 times ago and that did not solve the issue. But they have never replaced the turbo yet. The crazy thing is when it happens I can pull over and shut the car off and it's fine on startup. Makes me think it's something ECU related.

#25 ·
I've noticed that when the engine is cold it doesn't have nearly as much power as after it's warmed up. I race it from the end of my street to the highway. On the way to work when the engine is cold, I might get to 60mph. If the motor is already warmed up, it feels normal and I will get to 80mph. I wonder why? Must be related to meeting emissions when the engine is cold.

#26 ·
Running your car while cold is the worst thing you can do. The motor needs time to warm up properly and oil needs to find its way to the Turbo. This takes time. Letting the car warm up properly is crucial. Critical. It will make the engine last much longer. Racing the car while cold is plain ignorance.*

#27 ·
OK. Maybe you can educate me on this so I'm not so ignorant. The engine is running for about 2 minutes before I do my little drag to the main road. 5-30 synthetic has excellent flow at 60-90degrees F (the ambient temp in the morning). The engine and the turbo both have oil pressure, and the synthetic is flowing well (reference "Bob is the Oil Guy" website for flow at these temps). This is not starting the engine with the pedal to the floor at 40 below with thick conventional oil. Other than the block being cold, and having to run the choke (if it were a car from my younger days), how is this just plain ignorance. Enlighten me, because I don't know.

#28 ·
It's all a matter of allowing all metals to expand to their optimal designed tolerances before exerting excessive stress on moving parts .. it's really just good practice.
BUT, if you don't care, aren't keeping the car past warranty period, are prepared for repairs and such, then thrash away.

#29 ·
Well you didn't mention any of that to begin with. You just said you "race" your engine cold. As stated above the metals need to expand to the normal range when the engine is warm. Until the thermostat opens up, the engine isn't completely warm, and will run like **** if you are pushing it.

On many old Hondas people pull the the thermostat giving the coolant free flowing properties, but in this case it keeps the engine too cool not allowing peak performance to be achieved. This is why your car is slower when not warm.

The ECU is restricting the engine to protect it. Also 70% of engine wear happens during warm up time. Actually driving the car during this period wears it even faster, regardless of which oil you use. I've read bob the oil guy to its entirety as well.

#30 ·
You shouldn't call him ignorant because of something you thought he wasn't aware of. It's a pretty rude term to use and that's coming from me, the rudest guy I know. You could have rephrased that in a way that just suggests to let it warm up before he does anything stupid instead of going on the attack instantly. Manners bro. You coulda left off that last sentence entirely and he would have replied in a much more respectful way, am I right Tucker? :p

#31 ·
I like the concern. I wasn't trying to be a dick, just literal. I purely meant it in the sense of the word, "not knowing." If the dude wants to "race" his car while cold, be my guest... but it's rather ignorant, or "not knowing" of the person to do something like that. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.