Veloster Forum banner

Turbo Failure - Lack of Boost (P0299)

45K views 63 replies 17 participants last post by  luisda666 
#1 ·
Alright about time that I post my story with my 2013 VT in hopes that it will help others in troubleshooting a possible major issue without too much run around.

SYMPTOM:
It happened predominantly when I was accelerating on an uphill incline usually onto a freeway (usually at about 90kph off an exit picking up speed to 100kph in a cloverleaf) Coming off the ramp I would be accelerating like normal and then all of a sudden it bogs down and I loose all boost. No turbo sound, engine light to follow. Like the engine is being deprived of something. I am able to maintain speed but not accelerate very well. The rest of the trip I almost hear the turbo but it does not seem to actuate at all. Odd times the function would return, other times while the engine light was on (P0299 code) I would get crappy fuel milage and intermittent turbo boosts. It did also happen at random, not pushing the car at all, just daily driving.

No mods at this point.

Bought the car November 2012.

June 28, 2013 (@16891km)- First sign of the 'P0299 Boost Pressure Sensor Code'. Dealership cleared it and sent me on my way.

July 3, 2013 (@16899km)- Brought it back as soon as the symptoms came back and engine light was on. Ordered Boost Value.

Aug 2, 2013 (@17002km)- Dealership replaced boost valve. Stated in the w/o HYTAC needs to be contacted if code returns.

(Missing paperwork, at some point they told me they were going to replace the Air Filter, suspecting it may be clogging the turbo??? I shook my head at this one. They tried to make me pay for it too.. Didn't fly lol)

Aug 14, 2013 (@17239km)- P0299. Read the code and cleared it, said they would get back to me as soon as they talk to HYTAC.

Aug 30, 2013 (@21290km)- P0299. Same symptoms stated above. Stating internal fault with map sensor. They replaced the Map Sensor.

Sept 5, 2013 (@21315km)- Dealership found poor terminal connection on the ECU. Reseated connection, tested three times. Tested ok. Boost returned to normal.

Was good for a while... Almost went a whole year worry free! lol

August 14, 2014 (@48556km)- Suspected issue with Waste gate not operating. Ordered the whole Turbo Assembly, (waste gate is attached to the assy)

Sept 5, 2014 (@51214km)- New Turbo installed. At the time I also let them know the radio has gone defective (pixel lines and freezing between backup camera and normal mode, super glitchy) Ordered new Head Unit.

Oct 3, 2014 (@53803km)- Installed new Head Unit. (I still fall 7-10 mins behind every month if its not on GPS mode.. Can only have it on Daylight savings mode during the summer. Winter it never keeps time haha)

Jan 7, 2015 (@67429km)- Was in for an oil change and had a strange engine code come on. P0441 'Small EVAP Leak'. Dealer cleared it suspecting I didn't tighten my gas cap all the way. (Pretty sure I did but with the cold weather they said the seals have been known to go on them as a more common issue)

Jan 18, 2015 (@70000km)- Finally got excited and confident again in the car, so I bought a Hyundai Performance Axle-back Exhaust and installed it myself.
(Been dying to do any mods to it.. Frankly with all the issues it worried me to do anything to it... I still have so much planned. Intake is gonna be next!)

Jan 23, 2015 (@70297km)- P0441 returned, ordered Fuel Cap, installed it the next day while I waited.

Feb 19, 2015 (@73947km)- P0441 back again! Stating 'Incorrect Valve Purge'. Purge Valve Solenoid ordered. Installed it 2 days late. No issue since.

Jun 9, 2015 (@89721km)- I found a small hole in the shifter boot crease that seemed to abnormally worn out. I brought it to the dealer so they could take a picture and send it in to see if warranty would cover it. Not even an hour after leaving did the P0299 killed me. Accelerating up a hill, lost all boost. Very sad day. I wanted to drive it off a cliff at this point. It failed really bad this time around. Constant spool, sounded like a semi truck revving up a hill...
BUT keeping calm and collect, I called my buddy at another dealership. Got a second opinion. They ordered another turbo assembly and installed it today. I pick up the car tomorrow.

I am almost 10000km from warranty expiring. My letter to Hyundai Canada entailed people should buy extended warranty for reassurance. NOT for lack of reliability. I told them I want confidence in the car again. Unfortunately I do not have that yet. Awaiting a full response from them right now...

I pick up my car tomorrow at least and I am excited to be driving it again. This is still on going... I have a MyRide spoiler I haven't even got around to painting yet and tail light reflector LEDs to put in.. Just from lack of inspiration that this car is going to live up to my dreams. Lets see where Hyundai Canada gets me!

Long read, but I hope it serves to be useful!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hyundai veloster

See less See more
Reactions: orbeavhawk
#38 ·
Just an update; The dealership ended up replacing the intercooler assembly. And to my surprise I actually feel confident to drive it! They replaced it about 3 months ago, the tech also said he has no idea why it fixed the issue, but it was the next logical option. Basically he said there are two sensors with about a foot of piping between them, one was reading correct pressures while the other one was reading a different pressure (on the intercooler). Which in turned led the car to think it was over heating, thus seizing open the push rood in the waste gate - allowing it to cool down before it self terminated (the turbo assembly).

As soon as the new intercooler assembly was installed it was taken on 3 extensive test runs, with two different techs as well as one of the service managers. Needless to say both the techs and myself were shocked at how much pull the car now has. In the 4 years of owning the car it has never been this fun to drive! The crappy thing is it has been driven real hard now for all the troubleshooting and Hyundai didn't compensate me for it. I'm happy to have my car back but the added wear and tear part sucks. But for 105031km thats now expected lol

I hope this helps people who may be having this issue. I know well that telling your Hyundai Tech what to do doesn't always work haha but some insight to an odd issue is always useful, especially if your left for three years chasing your tail with the same problem.

If anything should arise in the near future I will definitely make note of it on here. Thanks for all the insight and help along the way!

#39 ·
@LunaVT944S, thanks for the update. Glad your problem seems to have now been fixed.

#40 ·
so question for everyone...does the car wait for a certain temp to kick in the turbo...a quick trip to my local grocery store it seems like it wasn't kicking in...I wasn't revving it hard just normal driving. After I got done with shopping and came back home...then i could feel the boost kick in....odd?? keep in mind this is a brand new 2016 with ~113 miles

#41 ·
Read a little further up on this page. The car goes through a normal warm-up period just like any other. Oil has to flow through the Turbo, and metals have to expand before the car reaches peak performance. Also oil must be up to temp. No car runs at peak during this warm-up period.

In Hondas, Vtec will not engage until after the warm-up period. This of course is just an example. It usually takes most cars around 5 mins or so, depending on the ambient temperature.

#43 ·
Hi All, well it is doing it again. This time when I tried to get out in front of 60mph traffic my 2015 Veloster with 4000 miles on it bogged and left me hanging there waiting to be run down by a large truck. Lucky for me the left hand lane cleared and I was spared! I will be heading back to the Dealer, OBrien Hyundai Ft. Myers Fl.
This car is dangerous and it scares me to drive it in heavy fast traffic!

#51 ·
Hi All,
O'Brien Hyundai Service Director, Ryan Holley, offered to take my Veloster back into their shop, give me a loaner car free, and try and get it to bog and then repair it. I took the car out the day after the service appointment and did quite a lot of full power starts and mid range full power and it never bogged once. I think it is cured! So I declined there generous offer.

Glenn Wearsch

#54 ·
Kinda have the same problem. Car is less than 5k miles and has been running great. Now the boost just doesnt kick in. I have a magna flow exhausrlt and a blow off vavle but everything seems to be working fine. I rechecked all the hoses and everything seemed in place. Any other reason why it wont hit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.