Veloster Forum banner

Vibrations

Tags
vibrations
2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Aloha_From_Bradley 
#1 ·
After the coilover install this past weekend I took the car in for an alignment. Everything is torqued to spec, I took my sweet time with every last thing on the car. The alignment is also perfect. During WOT I am experiencing a bit of cabin vibration. It's not enough to make me worry too much, but I can also feel it in the pedal a little as well. It's particularly noticeable in 3/4th gear when the torque curve hits.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? I've read that by dropping the car you can change the angle of the CV's and this can sometimes cause light vibrations. I have had many lowered cars, and never had this issue. Could this just be the extra feel from the coils themselves? Not sure if I should raise the car a bit and get another alignment. The car is not slammed.

#5 ·
alright here goes.

on my ksports the install instructions for the rear state to find the ride height you want with the springs, then adjust the rear shocks to match.

what i did was put the springs in with the shocks off, put the wheels on, and adjusted the springs to how low i wanted the car. then i jacked it back up and put a pair of 4x4 under the perches, with the wheels off to simulate it being on the ground. i bolted the shocks up on top but let them droop down below.

the k-sports say the shocks need to compress about 1 inch at the required height. so with the suspension at full load, i spun up the rear shocks until they were 1 inch from the mount, then bolted them on below.

with the rear shocks set per their instructions, the springs will never come loose.

http://ksportusa.com/edocs/separate_spring_shock_instructions.pdf

Reactions: Zach
#6 · (Edited)
Got it.

I was reading the destructions wrong. They clearly state the rear suspension height is adjusted via the shock body, and the perch is then adjusted to the tightened position to match the set height. There is no longer any play in the rear spring, and everything is nice and tight even while the rear is unloaded. Thanks for pointing this out. I was riding with the rears pre-loaded pretty bad. I haven't driven the car much since the suspension change and everything seems to be okay. I'm going to drop the rear a tiny but more, and raise the front about 1/4 of an inch to see if it helps with the vibs. Thankfully, I bought the lifetime alignment so I can just drop it off and have it done again for free. Yay!

#9 ·
Question. I have set the shock body as low as it will go in the rear, and then "snugly" set the spring tension on the perch to the point that I can still spin the spring with a little pulling back and forth. I'm not as low as I would like to be. Is it safe to tighten the perch down to lower the car a little more? I would like another 1/4 - 1/2 inch in the rear. The Megan coils I bought don't go very low in the rear.

On a good note the vibrations I was experiencing have greatly reduced after raising the car exactly 1/4 inch in the front. I think I may have been a bit too low. I'm going for an alignment tomorrow so I want to set these rears asap

#10 ·
If you're bottoming out the shock I'm not sure what to tell you.

#11 ·
No, not at all. I have plenty of travel. The bump stop is installed and there is more than half the total available travel past the bump stop still left to use. I just know preload reduces shock travel. It's my daily driver. I'm not sure how much preload is too much? I'm talking about the rear only.

The shock body itself is bottomed out, not the available travel. The travel has not changed yet, but will become reduced some if I decide to tighten the perches some more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.