NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bobster

Thread: Panoramic sunroof?

Smile Panoramic sunroof?

Hi there

My Veloster has a panoramic sunroof. It looks and feels great. Just wondering whether anyone has had any problems with theirs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

No problems so far for me, 11k miles. I use it just about every afternoon, so it's not a case of 'occasional use.'

There are ongoing discussions in http://www.veloster.org/forum/10-hyu...rior-lighting/
    But in general the answer is that they're fine with no issues.
    off to the the dark side

No problems mechanically with mine. But...
    For the size of the actual glass panel that moves, I am disappointed with the how much of the opening in the roof is still blocked by the glass when fully open. I guess about a third of the opening still is blocked by the glass panel. On my other sunroof equipped cars, the entire opening was clear when "fully open".
    I am also a little disappointed with the small gap you get when you vent the sunroof. Again compared to the size of the glass, you get a small gap.

I am quite sure these limitations are a result of the stationary(panoramic) glass behind the sunroof. There must simply not be enough room for longer slides, etc
    Master Procrastinator.
    White with Red & Black, Style and Tech

The sunroof panel goes back almost to the XM antenna pod. That's why it can't go further. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the antenna to get a wider opening, but it wasn't my choice.

I agree with sc. but realize too that I much more enjoy the panoramic view when the glass is closed -especially since it's been at or close to 100 degrees since the last frost in May! Since the XM/Satellite Shark Fin has to be high I suppose the designers had fun playing with just how much of the roof would be transparent and how much glass would and could open. Look closely and you'll realize there is actually NO sheetmetal on the roof...it's ALL glass although the 12" or so where the Shark Fin is attached is opaque.
    It would be interesting to see how the new Lincoln MKZ handled the antenna issue seeing as how the entire glass panel retracts all the way back and down over the rear window.
    One thing on my "wish-list" is that I would like to be able to close the sunshade to within about 1" of fully closed AND vent the roof to keep the interior cooler while parked on these scorcher-days. As it is I can ONLY vent the glass when the sunshade is fully retracted.
    CHUCKinFLL likes this.
    2013 Veloster Turbo Automatic, Ultra Black/Gray, Ultimate Package...Driving My Dream!

As of lately, due to the 100-105+ degree temperatures here in st. louis, I've had to keep the sunroof closed and the sunshade fully extended during the daytime just to keep the inside cool while driving. Other than that it works perfectly for me.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Ultra Black Pearl - 2012 Style Package - DCT - Red interior.

Honestly, I just got the sunroof because it was part of the package and offered, and I like the look of the glass on the roof from the outside.

I rarely open it, and like hwhunt13 said with the killer heat the sunshade stays shut most of the time.

I wish they made it so it slides back another 6 inches, but other than that no problems with mine so far.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster 138 HP 123 Ft Lbs torque
    Just enough torque to tighten the wheel nuts on a truck

I loose the XM signal when the roof is rolled back. Specifically when I am driving either in an east or west direction. Makes no sense as the satellites are to the south.

No problems at all with mine - use it every day. The antenna definitely is the reason - if you look close at the roof with it open, there is a small foam pad on the underside of the rear edge of the roof panel, so that it doesn't hit against the antenna.

I also agree with Bobster and would like it if you could vent it with the sunshade partially closed.

2013 Elite White Veloster Turbo M/T with Ultimate Package | 2009 CBR 600RA (RR w/ABS)

I drive with the shade back most of the time unless I have to be driving midday with the sun directly overhead. Otherwise, morning and afternoon driving is okay because of the sun angle as I drive mostly east to west AM, and west to east PM. If I decide to vent, rather than fully opening the sunroof, I still want the screen to be all the way back. If the sunroof was open all the way back and the screen was only partially closed, I have a feeling the screen would be negatively affected by the wind. Could the screen be a solid surface, which it can't be, it would be a different story.

I too have no problems with the functionality of the roof itself. But, I do have the same east/westbound cloaking of the XM radio signals with the roof in the fully opened position. It would be nice if Hyundai could address this but they most likely won't.

Absolutely no problems with my XM -- love it (didn't think I would). Sunroof open or not -- no problems. I know this may be a geographical issue. I'm not sure this is a Hyundai issue at all. Perhaps it is some sort of telecommunications infrastructure (or lack thereof) issue.

^^ jkt1954: I believe it's as you said, the geographic location. I believe the higher the latitude like near 45 degrees (my location) the more likely the problem I experience.

^^greyghost12 -- yes, Canadians have notedly complained about this.

Had my 2012 for 7 days when the sun roof exploded-no nothing hit it--it just exploded--I'm now on my 39th day waiting for a new headliner! have heard other sunroofs exploding. Hyundai dealer has been great the parts network sucks.

Twin
    best of luck with your sun roof. You are not alone. Please post to the poll at the exterior forum and suggest you file complaint with NHTSA . It may help other owners with a corrective recall Mine was gone for 11 days or more.
    Jimmy Mac

20. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements