NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carbon fiber hood vents

Carbon fiber hood vents

Ok guys, so I know it's been talked about a bunch but it no one has pulled through yet.. I've been talking to a company about getting these done... they would need an initial run of 10 people committed including deposits.. They plan on offering a wrap of the stock piece for 200 + refundable core as well as a full replacement option for 300. I'm trying to get them made to be open in the center to be functional for the full replacement. Turn around time would be 2-3 weeks from when I send in my vents so they can make the mold.

Though this is slightly more expensive then other companies have come to the table with, this place does fantastic work and is based in florida usa. Their normal clients are corvettes, audis, camaros

Completed R8 V10 Spyder Photos by g3Composites | Photobucket

that shows a huge array of the kind of work they do and the quality as well

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

200 bucks to carbon wrap the stock piece sounds like a waste. why not a full carbon replacement it is just one step away.

not to mention there could be fitment issues due to the CF being thick when molded over the plastic. when i got my hood wrapped it was a bit of a pain in the ass to get the "vents" back in.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual

Quote Originally Posted by RPW00Mirage View Post
    200 bucks to carbon wrap the stock piece sounds like a waste. why not a full carbon replacement it is just one step away.

not to mention there could be fitment issues due to the CF being thick when molded over the plastic. when i got my hood wrapped it was a bit of a pain in the ass to get the "vents" back in.
    it would be 300 for a "functional" replacement and I highly doubt they would have issues with fitment if they did it regardless, their whole business is wraps and replacements . I would be testing everything anyway. I thought it was pointless to offer the wrap but really thats not a "weight saving" piece so some people might want the look
    Last edited by elecblue06; 01-15-2013 at 12:06 PM.

ahh full replacement in that respect is a much better option - i thought they would be offering to send you a wrapped set/etc with or without core charge for 300. so get to it! so many others have failed... lets see some progress!
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD!

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual

Quote Originally Posted by RPW00Mirage View Post
    ahh full replacement in that respect is a much better option - i thought they would be offering to send you a wrapped set/etc with or without core charge for 300. so get to it! so many others have failed... lets see some progress!
    nope,
    200 for wrap
    300 for replacement the replacement would be "functional" so it would have the center cut out so it can pull air out

Pics are must.......i personally would prefer functional vents made out of plastic but I am very curious to see this finished product.....

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    2013 Veloster Turbo 6spd MT - Ultimate edition: Turbosocks FMIC, Solo Performance Catback, HKS Style BOV, 3" Turbosocks CAI, 18x8.5" Enkei Kojins ..BTRcc dyno tune coming August 17th !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartman View Post
    Pics are must.......i personally would prefer functional vents made out of plastic but I am very curious to see this finished product.....

unfortunately .. and for some people fortunately they only work in carbon realistically you can just paint them matte black and it'll look like plastic

pics of some of their work are above as far as the piece itself.. I might have some of the modified stock piece this weekend
    Last edited by elecblue06; 01-15-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Not overly impressed with that work on the R8.

Looks like normal vinyl over stock parts for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Autoguide
    -- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

Quote Originally Posted by x_Diesel_x View Post
    Not overly impressed with that work on the R8.

Looks like normal vinyl over stock parts for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Autoguide
    lol what? are you kidding? what do you consider " good " CF work then? it's real CF they don't work with fake stuff.. not to mention most of the parts on the R8 are complete replacement parts. the weave is perfect.. the clear has no imperfections.. maybe it's too perfect and that's why you think it looks like vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    unfortunately .. and for some people fortunately they only work in carbon realistically you can just paint them matte black and it'll look like plastic
    My main reason for wanting plastic is I personally am not going to pay big $ for carbon fiber on this type of product when it really doesn't need to be CF (other than for looks), IMHO of course.

Props for stepping up to get something done though.

2013 Veloster Turbo 6spd MT - Ultimate edition: Turbosocks FMIC, Solo Performance Catback, HKS Style BOV, 3" Turbosocks CAI, 18x8.5" Enkei Kojins ..BTRcc dyno tune coming August 17th !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartman View Post
    My main reason for wanting plastic is I personally am not going to pay big $ for carbon fiber on this type of product when it really doesn't need to be CF (other than for looks), IMHO of course.

Props for stepping up to get something done though.

yea i feel that, I think it'll probably be a couple hundred in the case that someone does them in plastic anyways

Just take your stock ones out and dremel them. How much could oem ones be if you damage to replace. They are $17 for oem replacements. I say someone dremel it out real nice.

Given the prices for all of these things - I think I'll just stick to working with CF vinyl wraps for stuff like this.
    I wouldn't mind seeing what one of the real CF interior/exterior dash kits looks like though - my issue would be not wanting to use every single piece and not being able to order specific pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Aays06 View Post
    Just take your stock ones out and dremel them. How much could oem ones be if you damage to replace. They are $17 for oem replacements. I say someone dremel it out real nice.
    thats what I'm gonna do, then send it to them lol

and hmm if they're 17 i might pick up a spare set anyway
    Last edited by elecblue06; 01-15-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Well $17 a piece. Lol. $34 for a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Aays06 View Post
    Well $17 a piece. Lol. $34 for a set.
    still

Yea not a bad price to experiment with.

whelp after talking to the company more.. I will be fronting the price of the mold to get this going so that way everyone can see how they are before throwing down.. I would PREFER to have some people down for it being it's not cheap.

there have been many threads about this.. most companies were bringing non functional pieces for 200-250, mine will be functional and a complete replacement. if we get enough people MAYBE we can get the price down more.. but i need at least 10 people.. so i personally get screwed...

maybe if this goes well we can do a CF front grill with no block
    Last edited by elecblue06; 01-15-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcroscigno View Post
    Given the prices for all of these things - I think I'll just stick to working with CF vinyl wraps for stuff like this.
    I wouldn't mind seeing what one of the real CF interior/exterior dash kits looks like though - my issue would be not wanting to use every single piece and not being able to order specific pieces.

if this goes well he's definitely open to doing more work for the community

This is interesting. Because the plastic vents have a porous surface. And When I Tried to apply Vinyl to it, It would not adhere properly.
    elecblue06 likes this.
    VELOSTER APPAREL https://plus.google.com/u/0/100445685402074231306/posts

: Official US Copyright Office Registration Information> Of My Silhouette Named.. "Tuner Car Profile" >> VA0001829171 / 2012-07-14

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements