NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carbon fiber hood vents

Quote Originally Posted by Justin07 View Post
    hmm looking nice... Specially the color he choose for the carbon fiber is looking very nice. If you see the full album then you will definitely become the fan of this stuff. I don't know about other but honestly I like this so much. Thanks for sharing this, Awesome sharing.
    no problem I hope you're around when the product comes up

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
    Umm, naked carbon fiber IS matte. It is not glossy.

CFRP ends up being glossy through its process.

I direct you to cars like the Zonda R whose naked CF is matte as it naturally is.

Look at race cars, they do not have glossy pieces.

Even on BMWs the CF on the M3 I was in was not glossy.

The fact is these 3rd parties don't do that because they aren't using true CF weave for the most part. The ones that do will charge accordingly because CF is not cheap.

I'd RATHER have di noc than that gaudy and dodgy crap on that R8, way to ruin a perfectly good car.

Ironic since the R8 can be optioned with a full carbon trim set from factory, glossy CF, but CF that looks a hell of a lot more fitting in a 100k+ supercar.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    Not completely true. A lot of gloss carbon is used in racing. On all I our race cars we used gloss carbon which makes the piece better for paint prep and if we so choose we can leave it exposed for a nice look.it just comes down to preference.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroscout977 View Post
    Not completely true. A lot of gloss carbon is used in racing. On all I our race cars we used gloss carbon which makes the piece better for paint prep and if we so choose we can leave it exposed for a nice look.it just comes down to preference.

i'm so glad you found this thread lol i couldnt remember your name but i was like i wish the guy that did the center steer porsche would come in lol ...

since you're very accustomed to working with cf what do you think of the quality of work?

I couldn't comment because I've never seen their stuff in person. I do know that 200 for a wrapped piece is way to much though. 300 for full carbon is also to much. Unless they had to eat the cost f tooling and development themselves and have to recoup that. The amount of material and complexity of the piece leads me to believe that their mark up +700%.

Of course this is all based on never seeing the part or knowing anything about how they manufacture them or materials/resin used.

So again my opinions worth diddly poop!

Mike

*cough *cough

Sorry, as I was saying...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    -- "Move along, nothing to see here" --

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroscout977 View Post
    I couldn't comment because I've never seen their stuff in person. I do know that 200 for a wrapped piece is way to much though. 300 for full carbon is also to much. Unless they had to eat the cost f tooling and development themselves and have to recoup that. The amount of material and complexity of the piece leads me to believe that their mark up +700%.

Of course this is all based on never seeing the part or knowing anything about how they manufacture them or materials/resin used.

So again my opinions worth diddly poop!

precisely this.. and i'm actually the one thats going to be eating it so that way the part can be brought to the community, and I'm going to be paid back for it as they sell..

thats the price if we get 10 people.. if we get more people the price goes down.. the more people the better the cheaper it would be

Quote Originally Posted by x_Diesel_x View Post
    *cough *cough

Sorry, as I was saying...

sorry you said it looked like crap... so if you're trying to cough saying "thats what I said" not quite feasible

MTD
    Looking at the pics of the underside of the hood, it looks like there is little to no openings in the metal anyway. I would think that because of this, that any vent wouldnt even be functional.

ImportShark makes very nice functional hood vents for the Genesis that replace the gaudy fake vents. Something like these for the VT would be great.
    '13 VT

though theres not as much of an opening any thing will help the fact that it's a smaller area much have more convection due to the intense high and low pressure differential between the hot engine and outside air

MTD
    Im sure with the VT, you could probably cut out the supports under the vents and make them totally functional.
    elecblue06 likes this.
    '13 VT

Quote Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
    precisely this.. and i'm actually the one thats going to be eating it so that way the part can be brought to the community, and I'm going to be paid back for it as they sell..

thats the price if we get 10 people.. if we get more people the price goes down.. the more people the better the cheaper it would be

Yeah, the more people that buy it will cause the total cost to eventually come down. Sometimes manufactures have to charge a little more early on to cover the cost of creating the prototype followed by the molds. We don't venture into high quantity type items where I work. With that, comes a higher initial cost when we get calls for custom items. This pushes many away but, a lot of people don't understand the man hours and consumable costs that go into just being able to create the CF part. Besides our race cars our Carbon S62 Z3 Coupe has been the most carbon extensive and it took months to do everything with hundreds of man hours. So for something that the company hopes to sell a lot of; the initial cost may be high however, it's very likely that down the road the price will drop by a large margin.
    elecblue06 likes this.
    Mike

Working on something

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    My Veloster<---Click it!

Quote Originally Posted by DeMarioii View Post
    Working on something

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

I was also thinking about something to this effect... but there was already interest in CF ones so i figured i'd bring something to the market that was already wanted *shruggs* lol nothing against you at all

Quote Originally Posted by MTD View Post
    ImportShark makes very nice functional hood vents for the Genesis that replace the gaudy fake vents. Something like these for the VT would be great.
    And they annouced them for the VT in this thread.
    … ETA beginning of Dec.
    But there is still nothing.
    If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him,
    is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Tajomaru View Post

Disappointing.... Hopefully something will be available soon...

2013 Veloster Turbo 6spd MT - Ultimate edition: Turbosocks FMIC, Solo Performance Catback, HKS Style BOV, 3" Turbosocks CAI, 18x8.5" Enkei Kojins ..BTRcc dyno tune coming August 17th !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tajomaru View Post

thats why i've jumped on it... IS said theirs will be around 200 and I'm sure it's not a full CF replacement it would be like the 200 option I've listed... maybe i'm wrong but what I would be doing is a limited run pending interest, what IS is doing wouldnt be hense the price difference
    Last edited by elecblue06; 01-18-2013 at 05:05 PM.

MTD
    LOL didnt even see that IS link before.
    '13 VT

For the matte vs gloss finish argument...

These parts trays we made for the shop show the difference in what you can achieve in finish. We kept the normal gloss finish for the fro t face but the different bottom ends show a matte and slight gloss finish. You can get either look all the way around its just a different process. Both are equally as strong and consist of the same 3K + 6K tensile strength carbon with 4x1 weave if I remember from earlier. The finish really isn't as important as the material resin and overall strength of the product. The overall finish is just cosmetic.

Carbon fiber hood vents-imageuploadedbyautoguide1358557634.211023.jpg
    Carbon fiber hood vents-imageuploadedbyautoguide1358559011.991262.jpg
    Carbon fiber hood vents-imageuploadedbyautoguide1358559033.327099.jpg

Last edited by Aeroscout977; 01-18-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    elecblue06 likes this.
    Mike

there needs to be a rail under the vent to channel the water away so it doesn't pour down on your engine

Senior Member Victorious Secret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cubancaddy View Post
    there needs to be a rail under the vent to channel the water away so it doesn't pour down on your engine

To guide water away from a sealed engine with a sealed intake with a sealed fuse box and sealed headlights with a sealed plug?

Hate to break it to you, the engine already gets plenty soaked on its own, whatever measly amount of water actually gets through the two small vents is inconsequential.

elecblue06 likes this.
    2013 Hyundai Veloster w/DCT in Ironman Silver

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements